Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 09:18 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The rest of the world has tried and their efforts show it is hopeless. Strict gun control is a demonstrated failure all over the developed world. There is nothing we can do to reduce gun violence. It's the same with health care. It is impossible to provide universal health care at a cost a first world country can afford.
Gun control is about controlling the LAW ABIDING populace, and making them more dependent upon the government elite. It is not meant to stop illegal violence with a gun involved. They will tell you it is, but more gun laws only further restrict the law abiding, and leave them more at risk of becoming prey for criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

There are already over 300 million guns in America. The actual number? Nobody knows.

If America were to lose ten thousand guns a day, it would take 82 years to be gun free. And that's if there's ONLY 300,000,000.

Get used to mass shootings, folks - it has become our reality.

^^^
Proof that, to the usual suspects, "gun control" has always meant gun confiscation.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The rest of the world has tried and their efforts show it is hopeless. Strict gun control is a demonstrated failure all over the developed world.
I am not for confiscation etc, but your statement is simply not true. US has far more of these incidents than other similar countries.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:20 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Im a shooter and own a total of 4 rifles and 2 hand guns. I don't understand the need for 30 plus guns either. I also don't understand why people want yard gnomes, dumb ass flags on their front porch, truck nuts hanging off their trucks, or go crazy Turing their house into a freak show every halloween.
I don't understand the need for some people to worry about who is sleeping with who or for people to lecture others on what kind of car to own.
Some folks collect guns. My older brother for example. I tease him and say the Wyoming National guard calls him to borrow guns when ever they have to mobilize. He has never broken any laws, never shot anyone and never threatened anyone. Tell me again why he should be punished for a crime he never committed?
The left is big on not judging everyone based upon the actions of the minority. I agree with them. Too bad when it comes to gun owners suddenly all need to be punished and all are bad.
He shouldn't be "punished", he just shouldn't be allowed to stockpile guns. He has a gun fetish. Limiting to what extent he can explore his fetish for something designed to kill is not "punishment", it's sound public policy.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:21 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Guns have been an integral part of the American culture since before th American Revolution. We are a frontier country founded on rugged individualism. How Alaska is today is how all of America was 250 years ago. It is embedded in our national DNA. Yet random mass killing by sociopath nutbags is a relatively new phenomenon. Can't be weapons, because prior to 1934 you could buy OR RENT fully automatic submachine guns from hardware stores. You could buy dynamite from general and hardware stores. Acquiring weapons was not that difficult, just more expensive.

So what has changed if the tools themselves have not?

There are a ton of societal and cultural variables that have changed, in addition to economic and government policy. We are celebrity obsessed people who also have an eroded morality. We worship fame for its own sake, while also being immoral enough to kill how many unborn children every year? Our government's collectivist policies treat all citzens as disposable resources and our political dialogue is nothing more than two or more perceived "enemy" camps shrieking at each other.

What explains an average of ~700 people being killed every year by hand-to-hand combat? ~500 people killed by blunt objects? Those two categories are each more than what rifles account for (~300), but nobody ponders why every year ~700 people are literally beaten to death by someone else. Knife homicides average ~1,600 per year. Consider that for a moment. Every year ~1,600 people are stabbed to death by someone else. What about our culture results in ~12,500 homicides per year, or one in every 26,000 Americans? knives, hammers, clubs, fists, strangulation, guns...whatever. One in every 26,000 Americans is murdered each year, and rifles are only ~2% of the total (mass shooting or otherwise), and weapons other than firearms are ~33% of all homicides...but it's a specific sub-group of rifles that are the problem? 1,600 people are freaking murdered with knives, which is about 5x the number killed by rifles of any kind, so yeah, rifles are the problem?

Oh wait, is this a Joker thing, where nobody cares as long as things go according to plan? So if 1600 stabbings are spread out in individual cases across the year, it's fine, but let 58 people be shot by one person on one day, and everybody has to panic? 58 shooting deaths is what Chicago refers to as "the weekend", but again, this is just gang bangers and thugs wasting each other, so no problem? Like Joker said, even if the plan is horrifying, nobody cares as long as things follow the plan, but the unexpected makes us all insane.

How about this - guns are not the problem, America being just straight violent and hysterical at the same time, is.

I don't like what you have to say, therefore I will throw molotov cocktails at the library on my campus and break stuff until you or someone else is scared enough to make you go away. I do not like what you believe, what you look like, who you voted for, etc...therefore, I will physically assault you. You have offended me, therefore I want your entire life ruined. You chose not to associate with me, therefore, I must destroy you. You have more money than me, therefore you are evil and must be punished. Etc etc. Our answer to everything is vengeance, anger and hostility. FFS, more people have their lives destroyed by tort lawyers than all weapons combined. Americans freaking hate each other. Turn on a TV, read a newspaper, log into the Internet. It's everywhere. We freaking cannot stand each other, and a very select few like Paddock have busted wires and cannot keep the hate internalized.

Even in these threads - bad guy did something bad, so everyone who has guns should suffer in his name because he killed himself before we could make him suffer!! Everyone wants vengeance, and the shooter robbed us of that opportunity, so we gotta take all this anger and frustration out on someone...we just gotta. Someone MUST PAY!!

That, boys and girls, is THE problem.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:21 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Guns trump life in the USA.
Feel free to move to the gun free country of your choice.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:22 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Like what? I'd like to know what laws would prevent this! And what does curb mean? Less than 20 dead, less than 10?
Restricting access to military grade weaponry and ammunition would be a good start.

The UK did this after the Hungerford Massacre in the 1980's, Australia and other countries have also followed suit.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:23 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Im a shooter and own a total of 4 rifles and 2 hand guns. I don't understand the need for 30 plus guns either. I also don't understand why people want yard gnomes, dumb ass flags on their front porch, truck nuts hanging off their trucks, or go crazy Turing their house into a freak show every halloween.
I don't understand the need for some people to worry about who is sleeping with who or for people to lecture others on what kind of car to own.
Some folks collect guns. My older brother for example. I tease him and say the Wyoming National guard calls him to borrow guns when ever they have to mobilize. He has never broken any laws, never shot anyone and never threatened anyone. Tell me again why he should be punished for a crime he never committed?
The left is big on not judging everyone based upon the actions of the minority. I agree with them. Too bad when it comes to gun owners suddenly all need to be punished and all are bad.
Gun owners are the most defensive people that I've ever interacted with on this website.

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Prepared for what? Give me a break. I've managed to survive all my life without owning a gun.

You live your life afraid. I don't. Simple as that.

If you were interested you would read up on how owning a gun does not make you safer. Go and look it at the studies. Go and look at the actual statistics. You won't though.
I hunt, your statistics are stupid.

1,978 posts, read 1,554,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I am interested in hearing from those that advocate these laws and why you think they would prevent such a crime.
I am advocating for a ban on these huge, tall, towering, multi floor hotels! Just think, if he couldn't get up that high, he would not have been able to do near the damage he was able to do. Actually, it is just downright unnatural for human beings to be stacked up that high!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies