Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 08:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Asked just above -- to any of the guys here...you go to the store to buy a bow for a gift for co-workers -- what is the chance you would pick a pink bow? None at all. Guys -- even really feminine gay guys (trust me I know a few) won't pick pink.

Pink is a color little girls and very few grown women - -let alone grown men - would ever be attracted to -- lol.

Maybe the guy has a really bad sense of humor and thought it was funny.
Real men wear pink.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:49 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Asked just above -- to any of the guys here...you go to the store to buy a bow for a gift for co-workers -- what is the chance you would pick a pink bow? None at all. Guys -- even really feminine gay guys (trust me I know a few) won't pick pink.

Pink is a color little girls and very few grown women - -let alone grown men - would ever be attracted to -- lol.

Non-answer.

I need to know specifically what it means.

How am I to learn if you folks won't teach me?

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
[quote=jeffdoorgunner;49755508]Well at my age its probably not cliché... but a Pink ribbon would denote Feminin.......IE....a Pu$$y[/QUOTE]

He had no idea how right he might have been...

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Cali Doll, maybe you can answer the question No_Recess keeps asking.

What was racially charged about the pink bow?
The question has been answered many times already. I’m not sure why No_Recess doesn’t comprehend.

The pink bow clearly indicates he was making a joke. Men don’t traditionally put pink bows on gifts to other men. He was making a joke based on the stereotype, and he put a pink bow on the watermelon to further the joke.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Non-answer.

I need to know specifically what it means.

How am I to learn if you folks won't teach me?
What do you care? You're not white. You can just pretend it's a joke and you'll get away with it.

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Not sure an attack on masculinity but snarky, smart ass thing to do.

I hate stereotyping with stuff like that but think about it - for any of you guys what is the likelihood you would EVER choose a pink bow to put on anything - especially to bring to a work event. That's all.
Again -- it's not a big deal.....not a huge statement -- and I still stand by my initial reaction that there is more to this story that we aren't hearing about. If there isn't -- Detroit Firefighter Association may have a lawsuit on their hands.
You can probably get fired for pretty much anything during your probationary period. Once that period has ended, it's harder to get rid of those who don't fit in.

I cannot imagine any work event involving men that would also involve a pink bow, but perhaps. For the first meeting, no. Just, no.

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:

My former Marine husband wears pink for the boobies. It looks great on him. He would pick a pink bow if he were making a joke to a bunch of dudes.

Maybe it was the only color bow he had at home? Presents need bows.

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Good thing he didn't go all out and bring in a bucket of CHICKEN Everyone knows now you can't cook or eat chicken in a firehouse. I wonder what vegetable would have got him booted ?
Fake news ,move on.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
The question has been answered many times already. I’m not sure why No_Recess doesn’t comprehend.

The pink bow clearly indicates he was making a joke. Men don’t traditionally put pink bows on gifts to other men. He was making a joke based on the stereotype, and he put a pink bow on the watermelon to further the joke.
I'm confused now. How does the pink bow further the stereotype joke?

Old 10-07-2017, 08:51 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think some of you may be right and the group complaining may not have wanted to work with a white guy.
It sure does seem like a ridiculous excuse to fire someone.

I mean - -punish him with sensitivity training or something like that but to fire him....I still say -- there has to be more to this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies