Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 02:15 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,243,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What's the significance of a pink ribbon?
Well, it's obvious that he is not only a racist, but a sexist and a homophobe.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 10-08-2017 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 02:19 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,230,268 times
I don't know any people who don't eat fried chicken....

(Kinda fits with that old phrase, "if one does not eat it, there is a neighbor will"

"Kentucky Fried Chicken" has made a fortune, and it certainly was not only black people buying it.
Heck, in every foreign place I've ever been, people make and eat "fried chicken". They only way they don't, is if they have a hard time finding a chicken.

There was a Chinese $1 Food place in LA, (Actually many of them), and I've never gone in one that did not have "fried chicken" drummers. They also sold out of it "very quickly".

Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 PM

39,244 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
These types of post remind me arguing with a white coworker who insisted on telling me that the term 'black people' or being referred to as 'black' was offensive to African-Americans because someone else black told him so. After 10 minutes of trying to convince him as someone who's been black my whole life along with another life long black coworker that that not the case for the majority of black people, I gave up.

If you want to raise your blood pressure up, reading stories like this, being convinced that most black people are hypersensitive about stuff, knock yourself out.

Based on reading the article, it's implied that the guy who was fired would have been detailed about the firehouse he was being assigned to. With the current racial climate in this country and probably the Detroit area itself this was very poor judgement, especially on your probationary period. It's just something that can be read many different ways by people you barley know.

At 41yrs old, I would think that he would have had a more common sense about bringing a watermelon,even if he really didn't mean anything by it.

I wouldn't expect a black person to make probationary period at a 90% white place of employment wearing BLM logo shirts or black power shirts to work even if the didn't mean anything racial by it.

It's just poor judgement skills. It can imply that this person may make costly poor decision down the line or someone who will turn into a HR headache later on.
The disturbing part of the story is that this guy was fired.

Considering he was a probationary firefighter, I think it is safe to assume that he didn't do this with racist intentions... There is no way someone who isn't established, is going to walk into a predominantly black engine and intentionally do something like this. *unless he really doesn't want this job at all, or he doesn't expect others to watch his back.*

It looks like the rookie essentially hazed the entire veteran fire house.

So if the guy was an aggressively offensive racist, why is he trying to work in a 90% black firehouse? Doesn't make any sense, does it?

I don't think being offensive was his intention.

Now if the investigation revealed that his initial reasons was to offend people, or intend this as a joke; then yes he should have been let go.

The bottom line this new person was not liked and gave them a reason to fire him since the union is not backing him. I don't believe at all
"racial insensitivity" is the reason why they wanted to let him go. It is pretty sad and unfair that they had to make him appear to be the bad guy.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-08-2017 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 02:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,607,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
??? Like I said, why ever would a new employee still on probation feel it's smart to try to "test the waters" with his new coworkers? You don't find that incredibly stupid? Again, I don't think he should've been fired at all & he probably had absolutely no motive other than just bringing a watermelon. But, if he did, that is not a smart person in my book. At all.
trust works both ways in life or death situations, where as one is dependent on the team, to watch their backs in a 3 alarm fire.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:31 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,574,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
trust works both ways in life or death situations, where as one is dependent on the team, to watch their backs in a 3 alarm fire.
I have no idea what this post even has to do with the topic.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:33 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,607,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I have no idea what this post even has to do with the topic.
Quote:
"test the waters"
before finding out a different way? another job would be better suited for him.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:33 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,295,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The disturbing part of the story is that this guy was fired.

Considering he was a probationary firefighter, I think it is safe to assume that he didn't do this with racist intentions... There is no way someone who isn't established, is going to walk into a predominantly black engine and intentionally do something like this. *unless he really doesn't want this job at all, or he doesn't expect others to watch his back.*

It looks like the rookie essentially hazed the entire veteran fire house.

So if the guy was an aggressively offensive racist, why is he trying to work in a 90% black firehouse? Doesn't make any sense, does it?

I don't think being offensive was his intention.

Now if the investigation revealed that his initial reasons was to offend people, or intend this as a joke; then yes he should have been let go.
As has been said many times, he probably meant it as a joke. (He was joking about the watermelon stereotype.) This doesn’t make him an aggressively offensive racist. It makes him a moron.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:37 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,027,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
When was the last time someone brought an uncut watermelon to share at your place of work? Because of the logistical problem of cutting and serving it, most people would bring something that is simpler to eat at a workplace. Something doesn't smell right about the "watermelon gesture."
That's why I think he grew it. It's not the normal size.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:40 PM

39,244 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
As has been said many times, he probably meant it as a joke. (He was joking about the watermelon stereotype.) This doesn’t make him an aggressively offensive racist. It makes him a moron.
I think there is more to the story.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:40 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,027,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What the heck is a good stereotype?
Asians are smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies