Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 03:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,506,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Namecalling is all you're left with.

"you don't accept my racism...you're the problem."

always.
I'm sorry you feel victimized .
I'll send you a care package. Maybe a watermelon with a bow.lol

Old 10-09-2017, 05:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,062,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Glad he got fired. Nobody has time to guess whether or not your watermelon gift to black people is innocent or not. Nobody is going to sit there are let you play stupid like you don't know things. Go be a firefighter somewhere else. SOME black people are tired of this type of crap. People try to get their little racist jokes off and then blame black people for not seeing the humor in it. How many times do we have to tell you?...you don't get to tell people how to accept your racism. And call it snowflaking...that's about all anybody can do to try to excuse stuff like this. Namecalling.
Microgression too much? Also note, that the firefighter was on probation still as a rookie. If the firefighther was a veteran on the department, most likely he would have not gotten fired for such action, most likely a warning, write up or some sort of suspension at most. When on Probation, the Union and HR cant do much for guys on probation period when such incidents occur. Probation period, one has to be on good terms to get ahead.

At will employment, an employer can fire anyone for any reason if job related or not, or even off the job. It happened to me due to social media. This is the reason why Unions are so important now these days. Sometimes people say things out of context, anger, or do something that does not seem with out knowledge that can be deemed offensive to a small group or larger. We need more Unions more than ever.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-09-2017 at 05:16 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 05:25 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I'm sorry you feel victimized .
I'll send you a care package. Maybe a watermelon with a bow.lol
Lol.

Love it!

Old 10-09-2017, 05:28 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,772,698 times
I was considering bringing some of my divinity (white fudge) to work but I guess not...

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...0-facc19bca138

Old 10-09-2017, 05:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,506,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I was considering bringing some of my divinity (white fudge) to work but I guess not...

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...0-facc19bca138
Hmm..that looks easy and I have the stuff at home for it!!

Old 10-09-2017, 05:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,040,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Just look at some of the posts here, in this very thread. There is lots of covert (and overt) racism. Then, people scream how unfair it is that they don’t get the benefit of the doubt.

Hmm.. look around.
You missed the SJW favorite, "micro-agression". OMG RACISM everywhere!

Old 10-09-2017, 05:37 PM

39,246 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Microgression too much? Also note, that the firefighter was on probation still as a rookie. If the firefighther was a veteran on the department, most likely he would have not gotten fired for such action, most likely a warning, write up or some sort of suspension at most. When on Probation, the Union and HR cant do much for guys on probation period when such incidents occur. Probation period, one has to be on good terms to get ahead.

At will employment, an employer can fire anyone for any reason if job related or not, or even off the job. It happened to me due to social media. This is the reason why Unions are so important now these days. Sometimes people say things out of context, anger, or do something that does not seem with out knowledge that can be deemed offensive to a small group or larger. We need more Unions more than ever.
I agree with you about the union.

being employed “at-will” means you can be terminated for any reason at any time. The employer does not need to find “just cause” to fire you. Most non-union jobs are this way.

In this case, I am not going to argue if he should be fired, I am not going to argue if they had a valid reason to fire him, I am just going to say this again,

At-Will Employment ALSO means:

Employers cannot violate anti-discrimination law, .

That includes:

Unusual or Disparate Treatment

Disparate treatment is a way to prove illegal employment discrimination. An employee who makes a disparate treatment claim alleges that he or she was treated differently than other employees who were similarly situated, and that the difference was based on a protected characteristic.

Will they fire him if he were a person of another race? Equality means just that, equality. One rule for everyone. If I (Lilly) (a mixed woman) brought a watermelon on my first day at work, would they fire me for being racially insensitive? (would they be okay with that pink bow on top? lol ) If a black person brought a watermelon on his or her first day, would they fire that person too? Maybe the employer shall answer that question.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-09-2017 at 05:48 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with you about the union.

being employed “at-will” means you can be terminated for any reason at any time. The employer does not need to find “just cause” to fire you. Most non-union jobs are this way.

In this case, I am not going to argue if he should be fired, I am not going to argue if they had a reason to fire him, I am just going to say this again,

At-Will Employment ALSO means:

Employers cannot violate anti-discrimination law, .

That includes:

Unusual or Disparate Treatment

Disparate treatment is a way to prove illegal employment discrimination. An employee who makes a disparate treatment claim alleges that he or she was treated differently than other employees who were similarly situated, and that the difference was based on a protected characteristic.

Will they fire him if he were a person of another race? Equality means just that, equality. One rule for everyone. If I (Lilly) (a mixed woman) brought a watermelon on my first day at work, would they fire me for being racially insensitive? (would they be okay with that pink bow on top? lol ) If a black person brought a watermelon on his or her first day, would they fire that person too? Maybe the employer shall answer that question.
What if a black man brought a bunch of crackers to his fellow white colleagues. Would white people find that offensive? All I know is that as of right now. We live in a nation of high insensitivity now. Everyone needs to be cautious about what they so, do for their actions regardless of where they are. If word gets out, people will loose their jobs, and having their livelihood ruined or upended. Employers want to protect themselves from lawsuits, damages by employees for race issues. The black firefighters can sue the department for hiring such employee who made a racist symbolic object. while employees want protection due to employers who will try to find an excuse for firing for one reason, or any reason at all.

As for me personally, the firefighter should have not been fired, however he was on probation which I clearly understand. But the firefighter should have got a warning, and made an apology to his fellow colleagues. Regardless of race, in the line of duty. Men and women must work together to save lives, because at the end of the day. We all bleed red.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:59 PM

39,246 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What if a black man brought a bunch of crackers to his fellow white colleagues. Would white people find that offensive? All I know is that as of right now. We live in a nation of high insensitivity now. Everyone needs to be cautious about what they so, do for their actions regardless of where they are. If word gets out, people will loose their jobs, and having their livelihood ruined or upended. Employers want to protect themselves from lawsuits, damages by employees for race issues. The black firefighters can sue the department for hiring such employee who made a racist symbolic object. while employees want protection due to employers who will try to find an excuse for firing for one reason.

As for me personally, the firefighter should have not been fired, however he was on probation which I clearly understand. But the firefighter should have got a warning, and made an apology to his fellow colleagues. Regardless of race, in the line of duty. Men and women must work together to save lives, because at the end of the day. We all bleed red.
Yep. Down to earth post and well said.. I agree 100%

Also, I think you are right. I agree with you about the union.

Fire rescue is a dangerous job. I can't imagine what they go through on daily basis, they must come in together and come out together.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yep. Down to earth post and well said.. I agree 100%

Also, I think you are right. I agree with you about the union.

Fire rescue is a dangerous job. I can't imagine what they go through on daily basis, they must come in together and come out together.
Here in my state of NY. The only way to file a lawsuit against an employer is either if you are sexually harassed, wage claims or discriminated against when being fired. Other than that, that's about it. In some states, employers have more rights and leverage than employees. Thanks for the agreement. I actually made a youtube video about age of insensitivity. Folks must be careful these days, because employers are not playing anymore. This is why unions are more important than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies