Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Registration leads to CONFISCATION. Always. That's the purpose.
They are coming for our cars, boats, etc.

And houses too...your house is registered in public records.

Yeah -- your logic doesn't follow any logic -- it's an emotional reaction -- a fear -- a paranoia.

Does Switzerland register their guns?

Old 10-08-2017, 12:00 PM

[quote=GHOSTRIDER AZ;49759066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

Good point thus we have the highest murder rate in Chicago. Most Americans are very conscious of buying and storing their guns.
Yes -- and they can buy and store and that's that. It isn't true that keeping records of someone who buys 40 guys will impede your ability to buy and store guns.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:01 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They are coming for our cars, boats, etc.

And houses too...your house is registered in public records.

Yeah -- your logic doesn't follow any logic -- it's an emotional reaction -- a fear -- a paranoia.

Does Switzerland register their guns?
Well if it becomes politically expedient the state can take any of those things. Ever here of civil forfeiture?

Old 10-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well if it becomes politically expedient the state can take any of those things. Ever here of civil forfeiture?
So you all live in fear that the state is going to come in and take everything...but if you don't have to register your guns, they won't take those and you can shoot the state?

Old 10-08-2017, 12:10 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
What do Liberals and Russia have in common? They both would like nothing more than an American citizenry without guns. Easy pickings.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Prior to the shootings , the Vegas shooter wasn't a criminal. Neither was the Orlando shooter. Neither was the Aurora shooter. Whats your point?

A gun registry would have also red flagged the Aurora shooter, who purchased his guns all within a short time, along with thousands of rounds of ammo. In addition, he had known mental issues and had made comments about killing people to others, which would have almost certainly been discovered had the FBI had the means to notice the sudden multiple gun and ammo purchases and investigated him.
With the way the polls were indicating in 2016, I purchased about a dozen guns to add to my collection that year, not knowing what the future might hold. I have 200+ 30-rnd AR mags. And in doing my own reloading, probably have 20K rounds in the vault. Many of my guns have been purchased through private f-2-f sales, legal where I live, although I've never had any issue passing background checks when buying retail. Want to have me checked out also? What I own weapons-wise is no business of the government or anyone else.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:20 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
I am retired LE, husband is former Marine, two sons at home going to college right now - both just out of the Navy. All of us purchase weapons for various different reasons and uses. Why should the government know how many or what kind are at my house? We all pass our background checks. Our local LE doesn't care what I have as long as I pay my fee to renew my 50 state conceal carry license every year.

How would knowing what I have make anyone else any safer?

The fed gov has enough info on me already so there is no need for them to have more. And C-D doesn't need to know how many or how much ammo I have either.

Do you think it would be justified to set up a Ruby Ridge situation because BATFE got a computer alert that people at a certain house had 40-50 (or some other arbitrary number) weapons?

Last edited by redwood66; 10-08-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 12:26 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
We need some kind of registry to record someone buying 40 or 50 guns. I suspect if this guy was an American born Muslim whose family had been here for 30 years or more folks would be outraged the govt. didn't have their eye on him for buying all that stuff.

But because this guy is a white guy that seemed to be like our neighbors......whoa -- can't have that. Can't be having the govt. keeping an eye on white guys with all those guns.

No logic, no sense.

No registry for those on meds for mental health issues, no registry of people buying all kinds of guns, no registry for anything...but for those that buy cars, boats, planes......oh okay.

I don't know what the answer is but knowing this guy was able to amass all that artillery without any kind of alarms (subtle or big) going off to anybody is disconcerting.
Why should it matter if you buy 1 or 1,000 guns? There is nothing wrong with buying as many guns, screwdrivers, automobiles, forks, knives, hammers, and so on... as one wants. These things are just "tools." They just don't go out there and start doing the following by themselves:

a. Guns, shooting people
b. Automobiles, running into crowds of people
c. Screwdrivers, driving screws into people
d. Forks and knives, stabbing people
e. Hammers, hammering peoples' heads
f. And I forgot to mention pressure cookers since these can be used as explosive devises. Should pressure cookers be outlawed?

People kill people., and no gun law is going to prevent that.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-08-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 12:39 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
So you all live in fear that the state is going to come in and take everything...but if you don't have to register your guns, they won't take those and you can shoot the state?
Not necessarily the government.

Supposedly Russia hacked voting polls right?

What is to stop an anti gunner from breaching online security-hacking, and finding out who owns what to either steal their weapons or worse?

That and in certain states, it is a felony to create a list, record, or registry compiled of gun owners and purchases. Florida is one.

Since you all seem to be under the impression that volume is indicative of a problem, be it ammo or weapons, how about the Orlando shooter or the San Bernadino shooter?

All it takes is only 1 to carry something heinous out...

When you try to logically connect dots based on volume, I was at the outdoor range this morning in between breaks of rain sifting through the whole gun control threads.

Would I be on the radar as a possible terrorist for going through 1500+ rounds?
That's the problem. How do you not confuse someone who is a recreational shooter, with someone with ill intentions?

Old 10-08-2017, 12:43 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Gun registration doesn’t work, forcing someone with a criminal record to register their gun is against their 5th amendment rights.

As for a national registry, I’m against that as well but since most most republicans stand by Sheriff Joe, they should be for some sort of registry where someone from the government pays you a visit after your purchase of say 20 AK-47’s, or AR-15’s in one calendar year.

You either stand for citizens 4th amendment rights, or you don’t. I do because I’m a firm believer in our Bill of Rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies