Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 04:28 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What's wrong with Girl Scouts?
why would you think anything is wrong with girl scouts? seems rather weird that you do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 04:32 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Nothing. What's wrong with having mixed groups?
If you understood history and how various cultures/civilizations throughout time have segregated boy and girls, you'd know the answer to that question.

`

Old 10-11-2017, 04:33 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I wasnt aware scouting was guy stuff.
I do think that if girl scouts were more closely aligned with the structure and activities of boy scouts there wouldn't be a desire for girls to join boy scouts.
Scouting is for girls and boys.

But I do think there is value to men only time and women only time.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:34 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I think the program should be not be opened to girls. We are always hearing that girls need single sex programs to give them an open environment to learn and develop to their potential well so do boys. They need an environment where they can learn to be a man and to do so without being corrected for everything they do that girls may not like, they get enough of that in every other aspect of their life.

If the girls don't like the Girl Scout program as it is then change it. Of course how much would they like their girl programs having to accommodate boys?

Girls and boys need to learn how to get along with each other, both as individuals and groups. Keeping them separate when they're younger is not going to accomplish this and might in fact, impede it, when they get older. Making them think they have to be separate at age 8, may make it more likely they will accept it, when age 11 or at any later time.

I remember my days in the Cub Scouts. Among our classmates at school, the boys and girls did not mingle and rarely even spoke to one another, even though each desk had a boy and girl seated together. Then the boys went to Cub Scout meetings and the girls went to the Brownies. More total separation.

If there had been just one organization for all and the small activity groups had been mixed, we would have been together and able to interact in a way denied to us otherwise. That would have been so nice. As an only child, with no sisters, it would have been a blessing that could have benefited me my whole life. Boys might have been exposed to some skills traditionally (and wrongly) limited to girls and vice-versa.

The current proposal by the Boy Scouts calls for separate, single-sex, small activity groups (dens) for boys and girls, in the Cub Scouts. Hopefully, that will change later, with full integration at the den level.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Nothing is wrong with Girls Scouts, but when I was younger and in Girls Scouts, I didn't want to sit around and sew, craft and bake. I wanted to be outdoors and learning outdoor skills.

Maybe Girl Scouts has changed since my days in the troup. Are they doing more wilderness skills and stuff with the girls?
My nieces' troop does. I'm sure its not the only one in the country which does these things either.

Also, a lot of activities are parent led because most of the time troops are led by parents. If GS parents want the girls to experience more outdoor activities, then they should get involved and do it.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
Nothing, but it challenges their sensibilities and "tradition"
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What's wrong with maintaining tradition if it doesn't hurt anyone?
Yes, it does challenge my sensibilities. I think its disingenuous to disallow gender specific groups in the name of equality. There is nothing wrong with it.

My husband is a Freemason - men only. I have zero problem with it. And as a woman, if I was a member of a female only group I'd be really peeved if a man wanted to join.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Girls and boys need to learn how to get along with each other, both as individuals and groups. Keeping them separate when they're younger is not going to accomplish this and might in fact, impede it, when they get older. Making them think they have to be separate at age 8, may make it more likely they will accept it, when age 11 or at any later time.

I remember my days in the Cub Scouts. Among our classmates at school, the boys and girls did not mingle and rarely even spoke to one another, even though each desk had a boy and girl seated together. Then the boys went to Cub Scout meetings and the girls went to the Brownies. More total separation.

If there had been just one organization for all and the small activity groups had been mixed, we would have been together and able to interact in a way denied to us otherwise. That would have been so nice. As an only child, with no sisters, it would have been a blessing that could have benefited me my whole life. Boys might have been exposed to some skills traditionally (and wrongly) limited to girls and vice-versa.

The current proposal by the Boy Scouts calls for separate, single-sex, small activity groups (dens) for boys and girls, in the Cub Scouts. Hopefully, that will change later, with full integration at the den level.
Because we all know kids aren't herded into mixed gender schools 8-9 hrs/day for 13 years. They NEED Scouts to learn proper interaction with one another. If boys and girls aren't mingling at school...perhaps they are simply the shy type that doesn't mingle anywhere.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
How does excluding a human based on gender not hurt anyone?
Oh come on.

They have their own scouting group. Why can't they fix their own thing instead of taking away valuable single gender time? Men and women are different. They behave differently, have different stresses, etc. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging this while at the same time believing in equality.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:39 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Well you knew this was coming; once the gay ban was lifted, then the great noise over trans kids, normal genetic girls were pretty much the last ones who couldn't become boy scouts. At this point why even bother calling it "Boy Scouts"? Just go with "Scouts" or something similar and be done with things.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that based on what twigs and berries people are born with should limit what they can achieve?

That's not what he said.

Again, GS AND BS are largely parent led. If parents want a troop to do something - like go camping or hiking - DO IT. Why the need for girls to join BS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies