Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 03:57 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Look. Not a lot of details have been released, but from what they've said so far, it's sounding like Boy Scouts will offer a concurrent program for girls that follows the same guidelines and shares the same resources. Not "girls allowed in Boy Scouts". I don't see why this is a problem.
I've already shared why I think its a problem but quite frankly I think GSA - and its lackluster troops - should be embarrassed by the "need" for BSA to do this. Basically what it says is GSA is weak and the BSA has to swoop in and help these girls out. Really bad form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Well the issue is the merits that are in the GS. They have less value then BS such as the eagle scout is consider pride and joy vs GS version of it.

With that being said, nothing is safe anymore with any group. But if the venture group would have lower their age requirements, then families could have join them, as they are co-ed.
Based on what?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMattinCT View Post
This is just a way for the BS to increase their membership ranks after the decline due to the sex abuse cases- by poaching from the Girl Scouts.

As a GS co-leader of 2 troops, we do archery, camping, geocaching, robotics, kayaking and a ton of community service. You may not know what a Gold Award is, but college admission directors do. The only time we baked (cookies) was in an outdoor box oven over a campfire.

I can say that my troops like that its only girls, they feel free to be themselves, without "distraction."

Next up will be sororities and fraternities!
I was thinking the same thing re: sororities and fraternities.

I totally agree with the rest of your post. As I said earlier my nieces are GS and they do all of the things you've mentioned in their own troop. Scouting really is parent led.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The entire experience will change for boys, and girls. Boys can be very self conscious, and awkward around girls, and can get embarrassed easily of they make mistakes, or look foolish. This is unneeded, additional pressure on them. There will be no more male bonding, and male role model mentoring as it will have to be structured for girls also. We as a society are shooting ourselves in the foot. They are with girls all day at school. Why can't they have a little guy time?
Likewise girls need a little girl time.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:12 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This is what the troops were dying for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8H7g918V6M

But, kneeling...that's disrespectful
Who is asking for the players to do this?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:35 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Frankly, I have concerns about co-ed camp trips, but if the BS board voted unanimously to include girls in their program, then so be it.

Their numbers have been on the decline for some time now.

Boy Scouts membership falls 7 percent in decade-long decline - Chicago Tribune

BS camps are closing due to declining numbers and revenue.

Boy Scout camps closing due to declining enrollment – GOPUSA

In 2013, a group of evangelical leaders formed Trail Life USA to provide a safe haven for those who believe the "pro-gay drift has gone too far."

Mormon church is developing their own scouting program starting with teens who will pull out of BS in 2018. Younger boys will remain in BS until programs for them are in place.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 AM

I wish this had happened five years ago, and so does my daughter.

The Girl Scouts sucked. The focus was the selling of cookies. We tried two different troops.

Luckily, she was able to participate in camp outs with my sons Cub Scouts troop as well as participate in things like the rain gutter regatta, pinewood derby and the rocket derby. I only wish she could have been officially part of it.

I support this decision.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:01 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Fall enrollment numbers are in and the board decides to invite girls. Hmmm.

Can't help but wonder if Trump's performance at the BS Jamboree had a negative effect on enrollment.

Several scouting families in our neighborhood were not all happy with Trump's political rally at the Jamboree.

Though the organization eventually denounced his performance, insisting it was "in no way an endorsement of any political party," it just didn't sit well with many.

It's one thing to sign your kid up for a troop run by Mormons or Methodists. Quite another to sign him for a group who invites a Republican moron to give a political speech at the annual camp out.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:04 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
No. It is the Girl Scouts that need to change if they are not meeting the needs of the girls. Feminizing the Boy Scouts is not the answer, and that is exactly what will happen. Once girls are in the troops the demands will start whittling away at anything deemed too "boy".

Old 10-12-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
No. It is the Girl Scouts that need to change if they are not meeting the needs of the girls. Feminizing the Boy Scouts is not the answer, and that is exactly what will happen. Once girls are in the troops the demands will start whittling away at anything deemed too "boy".
How exactly is allowing girls in the BSA feminizing it?

Are there any proposed changes to the activities?

Our pack meeting is tonight. I'll be curious to see if anything is said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies