Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 11:26 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
If the Girl Scouts don't do kayaking then change the Girl Scouts and their leadership. If a manager at a company isn't doing things right, or the company isn't being ran right you fire the managers. You don't send the employees to another company.
But you can't fire the owners. That's what would need to happen here. What you can do, and apparently the Girl Scouts sees this, given their nasty response, is to boycott the business. Boy Scouts has now enabled that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 11:28 AM

20,463 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
There ARE no "requirements for advancement" in GSA. Your rank is decided by your age/grade. There are no 13 year old Brownie Scouts. You would be a Cadette at that age. There ARE, OTOH, 16 year old Tenderfoot Boy Scouts, because BSA ranks are decided by merit-based criteria - you have to earn the rank you attain, and everyone has to clear the same ranks in the same order in order to advance to Eagle. I know of one boy from my dad's troop who is only 16 and already received his Eagle.
you are correct about no rank requirements. there are achievements from what I have seen within each rank. so there is that.

you are correct in BSA, it is Merit based. boys have to work to achieve rank advancement. 16 seems to be the general age most get eagle here. there are those that don't achieve Eagle until almost their 18th birthday! lol.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:29 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Same page Kibby.... I have not been a long term scout. I wasn't a scout as a kid. I became a scout parent when my oldest walked into the house and said "I wanna be a cub scout"... to which I said "oh crap" well.... that's turned into me being a scout leader at both the Cub and Boy Scout level. LOL.

I have 1 concern. I DO NOT want to see this turn BSA into what the Girl Scouts is. We are a leadership organization we aren't a community organizing organization.
I have long experience with both organizations - I don't think you should have many concerns about the influence of Girl Scouts on the BSA. Several have posted about the different way the 2 organizations are set up - the older the boys get, the more mentoring and leadership training and opportunities they have. The Girls have nothing equivalent to this - they stay with the same group, some age and grow more insular.

The Girl Scouts are more Political and more directed by their Organization - the Boy Scouts have more autonomy and I don't believe that will change. As you know - there is Community involvement in the BSA, but it's more the Eagle Projects and not so much "we will change the world" as it is just helping the community.

Each Pack & Troop will be able to work out how they will proceed with integration (with Council & National help) - I'm most excited by the Family opportunities and outdoor opportunities.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,632,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I wonder what the reaction would be if some boys wanted to join the Girl Scouts.
That depends on where you live.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Why can't a girl join the Girl Scouts? Are boys going to join the Girl Scouts now too? How about putting dogs in a beautiful baby contest, or putting birds in a dog show.
are you keeping up? girls can join girl scouts.
Girl Scouts has stated that since diversity is their strength, boys cannot join Girl Scouts (no kidding. they said that)

the deal is GS and BSA don't do the same things, don't have the same goals and don't teach the same general concepts.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
On news this AM it was claimed cookie sales generate $500,000,000.00 for the Girl Scouts. Anyone think it'll be long until there's Boys & Girls Cookies on the market?

Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
That is just ridiculous, boy scouts are for boys, girl scouts are for girls. What is with people trying to get that all mixed up?

Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I have long experience with both organizations - I don't think you should have many concerns about the influence of Girl Scouts on the BSA. Several have posted about the different way the 2 organizations are set up - the older the boys get, the more mentoring and leadership training and opportunities they have. The Girls have nothing equivalent to this - they stay with the same group, some age and grow more insular.

The Girl Scouts are more Political and more directed by their Organization - the Boy Scouts have more autonomy and I don't believe that will change. As you know - there is Community involvement in the BSA, but it's more the Eagle Projects and not so much "we will change the world" as it is just helping the community.

Each Pack & Troop will be able to work out how they will proceed with integration (with Council & National help) - I'm most excited by the Family opportunities and outdoor opportunities.
yep. I am actually excited by the potential too. when my cub found out yesterday as my wife and I were talking, his reaction was "you mean Sara can now join my pack?" (named changed to protect the innocent. He was excited. he doesn't care one bit. We will figure out how we move forward as a pack, either integrating, or setting up a separate girls pack. not sure what will happen as that's going to require the entire committee to decide. Plus the level of interest from girls. we will see. as Cubmaster, I will advocate for 1 pack and will do my best to make it work. if they we decide on separate packs, I will absolutely work to help the girls be successful.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
That is just ridiculous, boy scouts are for boys, girl scouts are for girls. What is with people trying to get that all mixed up?
good God how many times do I have to say this?

THE TWO ORGANIZATIONS DONT DO THE SAME THING. IF IT DID I WOULD AGREE WITH YOU.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:38 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Good. People need to stop treating girls like they are incapable of anything but being an assortment of body parts put there for male amusement.
ridiculous assessment for making "boy" scouts gender neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies