Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 11:23 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
McCain is a mess. The ethics of draft deferrals aside, if you're now the POTUS, you shouldn't be allowed to institute a draft for national security purposes because you never served??? That is about the most loony rationale that I've come across recently (I think Johnny has been talking to Aunt Maxine recently) and one that threatens to leave us all less safe.
is that what McCain said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 11:24 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
McCain is a mess. The ethics of draft deferrals aside, if you're now the POTUS, you shouldn't be allowed to institute a draft for national security purposes because you never served??? That is about the most loony rationale that I've come across recently (I think Johnny has been talking to Aunt Maxine recently) and one that threatens to leave us all less safe.

No, you should be allowed to institute a draft to provide cannon fodder, for inane, unnecessary wars of choice of no benefit to the US.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:28 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
“If we are going to ask every American to serve, every American should serve.”

Same old snake oil peddled by Leftist egalitarians; reduce everything to the lowest common denominator of thinking. Then put the burden on all of us, save for the "empty barrels" at the bottom of the dung-heap, whose votes the Lefties know they own.

If the burden of Vietnam (including fighting a guerilla insurgency with outdated WW II tactics) was thrown upon the working class, it would appear (judging from the 2106 election) that at least a potion of the working class has become wiser and more skeptical toward Big Brother/Sister.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-23-2017 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-23-2017, 11:37 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No, you should be allowed to institute a draft to provide cannon fodder, for inane, unnecessary wars of choice of no benefit to the US.
I agree. We don't need a draft, instead we need to knock the war mongering on the head.

It is clear there is a growing call for more war from the armchair warriors in Washington DC and from the old men of the right.

It is high time we stop the flag waving, the endless maiming and loss of our young men and women and it is time we stop the waste of our national treasure.

The war mongering must end. There is no reason to go to war.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Trump had the same student deferment that all full time college students had, and the he had a 1-Y medical, which made him "qualified for service only in time of war or national emergency." He had a lottery number in 1969, it was just a high number. And even if he had been drafted, he likely would have been a REMF because of the prior deferment and because his family had political connections.

Only 25% of the troops used in the entire Southeast Asia theater were conscripted, and of that number, only 38% saw service inside Vietnam.

And oh by the way, there has never been, nor is there currently a prior "military service with direct combat experience" requirement for being an elected official in the United States. Ask Bill Clinton and Barack Obama...nether of them served, and I seem to recall both of them being POTUS as well. Should we go into the rather long and sordid history of Bill Clinton and the Vietnam draft?
Strange. I don’t remember this level of magnanimity from folks like yourself when it came to Clinton. Everyone who didn’t serve was a gutless coward back during the 1992 campaign.

But now, it’s really no big deal that a guy actively tried to avoid service.

Geez, I wonder why. LOL

Old 10-23-2017, 11:58 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wasn't it McCain that caused the fire aboard ship because of his anger and stupidity that caused the death of how many men?
WHOA!

Gotta call you down on that on. McCain was the pilot of an airplane on deck, but had nothing to do with the accident. Things began to go wrong when a missile accidentally launched from another plane.

There are websites that promote the myth of a pilot initiated wet start. But a wet start usually requires an afterburner, and McCain's A-4 doesn't have one. Besides, McCain's plane was facing the center of the ship with its tail pointed over the side.
I'll leave research up to you. As usual, the myth lives on.

Myths: Nero fiddled while Rome burned; George Washington had wooden teeth; McCain started the Forrestal fire.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:06 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Until the beginnings of progression from feudalism to the concept of the nation-state, wars were fought by a warrior caste. The concept of a standing army, under the control of the monarch/strongman, intensified after the Fourteenth Century, and the disastrous consequences were amplified by the replacement of agrarianism by industrialization, providing both centralization of authority and a huge pool of cannon fodder. This all culminated in the bloody spectacle of a two-act, thirty-year, totally-industrialized global war.

At this point, however, prospects for the further advance of open societies within a growing community of proven democracies (which do not settle their differences on the battlefield) seems stronger than at any time in history, "anti-globalist" hysteria notwithstanding. But we shouldn't be seeking "guidance" from the loudest voices at the back of the room.

It is among the "empty barrels" of the lower ranks that both sides of our current polarization find their most fertile spawning ground, but the Low Left is far larger, more easily duped, and more vicious.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-23-2017 at 12:46 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 12:07 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I never had a problem with McCain until he decided to have Palin as a running mate. He didn't even want her. He wanted Leiberman. But brain cancer and all, he is still the maverick.
And that was one major reason why McCain lost my vote that year. That and his pandering to Conservative Christians. Oh and his suspending his campaign to vote in congress.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:08 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Poor McCain , He is such a lousy loser.
And yet I bet you proudly voted for him.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:08 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I love it! Calling out Trump for the coward he is. Donald Trump's rich daddy was able to get little Donnie multiple deferments to avoid serving in Vietnam.

COWARD!
Trump did not run to England to hide from the draft and then get kicked out for raping another student like Clinton did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies