Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 11:54 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,435,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
So, you went after Trump when he attacked one, right?

And, where’d you get that I was attacking Kelly?

I was attacking his boss. Kelly’s just being a good soldier.

Perhaps you should think about what people are saying before you attack.
What makes you think I didn't think about what you said?

Maybe you are the one who should think about what you said.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:01 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,069,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I agree it was vile for Hillary and the Democrats to trot the Khans out for political purposes.
The Khans had a right to speak their minds, having given the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

And of course, it wasn't the Democrats who attacked the Khans, it was Trump. Funny how you think it's vile for anyone to attack a Gold Star family...unless, of course, the attacker is your cowardly hero, Trump. Then it's A-OK with you. That's about as vile as it gets.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:03 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,435,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
But of course, it wasn't the Democrats who attacked the Khans, it was Trump. Funny how you think it's vile for anyone to attack a Gold Star family...unless, of course, the attacker is your cowardly hero, Trump. Then it's A-OK with you. That's about as vile as it gets.
Hillary should never have involved the Khans in her campaign. That was vile.

Trotting out the families of slain soldiers in a political campaign is about as vile as it gets imo. YMMV. Obviously you think its A OK to use these people and their grief to advance your candidate. That is vile imo.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:15 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,069,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Hillary should never have involved the Khans in her campaign. That was vile.

Trotting out the families of slain soldiers in a political campaign is about as vile as it gets imo. YMMV. Obviously you think its A OK to use these people and their grief to advance your candidate. That is vile imo.
The Khans wanted to speak out against a candidate they felt didn't respect their son's sacrifice. Would you deny them that right just because it made Trump look bad?

After all, it was you who said this:

Quote:
People who give up their children to this country pretty much have a free pass in my book even if they are wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Covfefe View Post
Didn't Trump trot out that Benghazi mother at the RNC? Bet you cheered her on when she appeared, didn't you? Hypocrite.
Yep. Bet Blondy doesn't see anything vile about that.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:44 AM

23,498 posts, read 12,502,824 times
The Congresswoman saw a chance to get her mug all over the news, and she took it. She's been giving interviews to as many media sources that she can, milking and politicizing this as hard as she can. Is she up for reelection or something

The wife and mother may have been fine with what Trump had said, until that Congresswoman started railing about that snippet of the conversation while she was still in the car with them, and the way she's been milking this I have no doubt that she threw a big fuss while in the car with them. Egads that Congresswoman should be gagged, forever.

The Congresswoman has plenty of interviews floating around about this. At first she was saying...

"It was something like they knew what they signed up for"

"What he basically said was they knew what they signed up for"

"It was something like", "What he basically said" .. sounds like she really wasn't so sure exactly what he'd said. But after awhile she dropped those two phrases, owning her narrative regarding the call. She's making it appear that all Trump had said was 'he knew what he signed up for, but when it happens it hurts anyway'

Okay, so what if he did say 'they know what they signed up for' but his comment went something like this...
*'They know the risk, they know what they signed up for but they still volunteer to put their lives on the line for their fellow Americans. We owe them a debt that can never be repaid.'
The follow up in those sentences does somewhat take the sting out of the 'they know what they signed up for'. If Trump had said something like that and the Congresswoman just took a snippet of it, then yeah, I can see Trump saying that it wasn't what he'd said and I'd agree with him on that.

We don't know what was said, but, after obviously agonizing over what to say and speaking to Kelly about it, Trump didn't just say 'He knew what he signed up for, but when it happens it hurts anyway. Bye.'

[*I saw that floating around the web, someone 'claiming' it's what Trump had said, but I found no proof, I'm just using it as an example and Nothing More]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSV8K533_Tk
The Gold Star mom had absolutely nothing good to say about that congresswoman

Old 10-20-2017, 05:26 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,361,409 times
I certainly respect John Kelley, his service and the sacrifice he and his family have made to our country.

On the other hand, I have to look at who his boss is and take that into consideration in regards to his comments.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:28 AM

46,274 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The mother backs up the congresswoman's words. Are they both lying?

We all know how the orange goblin is a pathological liar.
President Moron has zero credibility and is a stain on the nation.

She did, where? Where does she back up the words in the OPs thread title?

Old 10-20-2017, 05:39 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Link? Kelly hasn't said anything that I have seen.
Did you see it?

#canyouseemenow? #GeneralMichaelKelly

Old 10-20-2017, 05:52 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
She did, where? Where does she back up the words in the OPs thread title?
Do you not read or watch any news at all?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.fb2c206e42e6

Here are some thoughts I am having:

1. President Trump, during his press conference, indicated that he had been in the habit of calling the families of fallen soldiers, hence his criticism of past presidents not doing so. Now, we have had at least a dozen or so soldiers killed by enemy action since Mr. Trump took office. The assumption would be that Mr. Trump had been calling the other families.

However, during his press conference General Kelly indicated that Mr. Trump had not made any prior calls:

"Trump asked Kelly how to make the calls, to which Kelly said he replied that if you have never worn the uniform and have never been in combat "you can’t even imagine how to make that call.""

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...oldier-n812391

2. President Trump spoke of how disgraceful that Rep. Wilson was listening in to a private call. Of course, General Kelly was present when Mr. Trump made his call.

I would also argue that, with the prevalence of cell phones today, one cannot have an expectation that one's call will not be heard by others on the receiving end. It is not like the old telephones, where you literally held the receiver up to your ear.

3. In addition to Ms. Wilson, there were others listening (apparently inside a car), including the fallen soldier's mother. As for Ms. Wilson's presence, which some find outrageous in and of itself, I have read that she knew the family, and had served as a mentor/sponsor of the young man, and so it is not surprising that she was in the vehicle on the way to the air force base.

As I said in another thread, I do not consider a President to be obligated to make such calls. Indeed, I argued that I would rather they do not, since to call 'some' families', and not 'other' families, may make the other families feel slighted.

I do not condemn Mr. Trump for making the telephone calls. As for his statement to the widow about how the soldier 'knew what he signed up for', I was struck by General Kelly's statement that HE had told Mr. Trump about how he, Kelly, had been told this by another officer upon Kelly's son's death. Mr. Trump then repeated the statement to the widow.

Mr. Trump could not make the distinction of how officers may speak to each other in times of sorrow (shared experience and such), and how one would approach a grieving widow. Again, I imagine that Mr. Trump wishes he had not used the term. I have no doubt that future calls will proceed better.

I am certainly not a fan of Donald John Trump, but I do not think that he is a 'monster' or such. I think he tried his best when he made the phone call (and he does appear to be socially awkward). I do think he was ill-advised to speak of what prior Presidents did, or did not, do.

I also thought that he should have made some reference to the fallen soldiers of Niger soon after their deaths; after all, at his press conference, his failure to do so is what prompted the reporter's question (possibly motivated by the fact that Mr. Trump had previously been critical, in tweets, of President Obama's failure to timely address the deaths of soldiers).

Old 10-20-2017, 06:31 AM

46,274 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Do you not read or watch any news at all?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.fb2c206e42e6

Here are some thoughts I am having:

1. President Trump, during his press conference, indicated that he had been in the habit of calling the families of fallen soldiers, hence his criticism of past presidents not doing so. Now, we have had at least a dozen or so soldiers killed by enemy action since Mr. Trump took office. The assumption would be that Mr. Trump had been calling the other families.

However, during his press conference General Kelly indicated that Mr. Trump had not made any prior calls:

"Trump asked Kelly how to make the calls, to which Kelly said he replied that if you have never worn the uniform and have never been in combat "you can’t even imagine how to make that call.""

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...oldier-n812391

2. President Trump spoke of how disgraceful that Rep. Wilson was listening in to a private call. Of course, General Kelly was present when Mr. Trump made his call.

I would also argue that, with the prevalence of cell phones today, one cannot have an expectation that one's call will not be heard by others on the receiving end. It is not like the old telephones, where you literally held the receiver up to your ear.

3. In addition to Ms. Wilson, there were others listening (apparently inside a car), including the fallen soldier's mother. As for Ms. Wilson's presence, which some find outrageous in and of itself, I have read that she knew the family, and had served as a mentor/sponsor of the young man, and so it is not surprising that she was in the vehicle on the way to the air force base.

As I said in another thread, I do not consider a President to be obligated to make such calls. Indeed, I argued that I would rather they do not, since to call 'some' families', and not 'other' families, may make the other families feel slighted.

I do not condemn Mr. Trump for making the telephone calls. As for his statement to the widow about how the soldier 'knew what he signed up for', I was struck by General Kelly's statement that HE had told Mr. Trump about how he, Kelly, had been told this by another officer upon Kelly's son's death. Mr. Trump then repeated the statement to the widow.

Mr. Trump could not make the distinction of how officers may speak to each other in times of sorrow (shared experience and such), and how one would approach a grieving widow. Again, I imagine that Mr. Trump wishes he had not used the term. I have no doubt that future calls will proceed better.

I am certainly not a fan of Donald John Trump, but I do not think that he is a 'monster' or such. I think he tried his best when he made the phone call (and he does appear to be socially awkward). I do think he was ill-advised to speak of what prior Presidents did, or did not, do.

I also thought that he should have made some reference to the fallen soldiers of Niger soon after their deaths; after all, at his press conference, his failure to do so is what prompted the reporter's question (possibly motivated by the fact that Mr. Trump had previously been critical, in tweets, of President Obama's failure to timely address the deaths of soldiers).

Once again, I'm not asking whether or not he disrespected her, what you would consider disrespect may or may not be disrespectful to me or others....see the difference.

Now, did the president say "Your husband knew what he signed up for" that's the entire reason for stupid thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies