Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:38 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Again, I think Trump will have a GOP challenger in 2020 in the primary and lose the primaries and not even be in the running for 2020. Depends on if the GOP makes the moves it needs to make to save its party from populist lunatics.

ETA: Republican challenger would be a hoot to have the slogan "Making our Party Great Again" lol
Yup. That's a better slogan than "Making America Great Again Again".

Old 10-26-2017, 10:42 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,948,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
In Pennsylvania, Trump has also created a problem for himself in the past week. Little noticed—except by people like me who consult on ethanol-related policy—is the fact that the Trump administration just took regulatory steps to placate King Corn that have enraged a key tranche of the manufacturing sector in Pennsylvania. Sure, Trump may have solidified his hold on Iowa’s six Electoral College votes with the move (although considering that in the 2016 caucuses, Iowans delivered a win to the most anti-ethanol-mandate candidate ever, maybe not). But now you have manufacturing worker unions who supported Trump in 2016 telling the The Wall Street Journal things like “I voted Donald Trump, I urged my members to vote for Donald Trump, and I urged them to ask their families and friends to vote for Donald Trump… And now we’re left out in the cold…

Hopefully he changes his mind and goes with workers.” Trump won Pennsylvania by about 44,000 votes. Alienating these voters in particular seems like a bad move that may not be outweighed by attacks on CNN as #fakenews.

The Four Red States Where Trump 2020 Is Already in Trouble

Nuff said. They voted for him and are paying for it now I'm sure the rest of the country will start paying for their mistake as well.
Trump's policies on ethanol should come as no surprise to those of us who have been following the situation. Carl Icahn - a multi-billionaire who gets a huge chunk of spare change from the oil refining industry - has had to resign his post as special advisor to the president after he was outed by the New Yorker. The conflict of interest was so huge that even the swamp critters were amazed:

From FORBES

The article, published in The New Yorker’s Aug. 28 issue, detailed potential conflicts of interest related to rules that require oil refiners to blend ethanol into gasoline. Changes to those rules, part of a law passed under former President George W. Bush, could affect Icahn’s holdings.
One of Icahn’s investment firms, Icahn Enterprises, owns a large stake in CVR Energy, a Sugar Land, Texas-based petroleum refining company. The Renewable Fuel Standard required companies to blend ethanol into their products or purchase credits called “Renewable Identification Numbers.” The price of these credits rose in 2016, according to The New Yorker. The company was spending $200 million a year on the credits — and the firm’s stock had dropped by 70% from the previous year. Icahn’s position did not require him to divest from any of his holdings or make disclosures about his conflicts of interest.

While serving in the advisory role, Icahn pushed for the rule to be changed. The stock for CVR doubled in the months after the election —”a surge that is difficult to explain without acknowledging the appointment of the company’s lead shareholder to a White House position,” the New Yorker wrote. “When you give someone a title, you make him your agent,” Richard Painter, the White House chief ethics lawyer under George W. Bush, told The New Yorker.

Who would you want to make happy - one of the richest men in the world or a bunch of American workers in PA? MAGA takes big bucks to implement - apparently.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:48 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trump's getting 2 scoops of ice cream to increase the speed of clogging the arteries. Meanwhile, Pence gets a fruit plate instead of ice cream (not even 1 scoop for Pence). Pence wants to remain healthy for his next career move.
When a president can't keep up with a bunch of other Presidents and Prime Ministers, some the same age, who are all walking downhiill for less than half a mile, he's in trouble with his health.

Trump needs a personal trainer and dropping about 40 pounds of weight off his weary heart.

I would much rather see that than to have him tip over and stay down for good. Losing a President, even one as bad as he, isn't something I want. At all.

If Pence wants the job, he should go out and earn it like Trump did.

But at the same time, Trump owes it to us to stay as healthy as possible. He can have all the heart attacks he wants once he's out of office, but while he's got the office, he needs to get healthy enough to sctually do the job he was hired to do.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:37 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,645,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Not having access to the WSJ article - what are the four red states where this one small policy decision will supposedly hurt Trump three years in the future? Presumably those are Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and Florida which featured his smallest winning margins (even though they are more purple than red, for now)? It seems like an odd argument given that there will be so many more events, legislative measures, and personalities over the remainder of his term that cannot be foreseen at this time.

Regarding Arizona, my impression is that migration from California is probably pulling the state towards the left. There is a huge discrepancy in the cost of living and job growth in Arizona has been strong, so many young people from diverse backgrounds have moved across the state line. The influx of senior citizens, many from the Midwest, into retirement communities is a counter-trend that benefits Republicans, particularly since this population votes at very high rates.
i believe we may well see young folk voting in record numbers come 2020... i expect a landslide the likes of which we have not seen in decades.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:45 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Years ahead of the election means nothing but more bashing Trump nonsense.
Will liberals continue to support corruption in their party and gain power by bashing Trump endlessly while having no actual acceptable policy's to run on ?
The GOP and rump are giving the Dems all the ammunition they could ever want for the next few elections, if you think not then you are going to get one rude awakening.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,513,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
i believe we may well see young folk voting in record numbers come 2020... i expect a landslide the likes of which we have not seen in decades.
2018 is the year to vote, since control of the House and/or Senate will impact government in a very big way. A big enough way that can severely limit Trump's agenda. 2018 is just as important as 2020.

Last edited by sware2cod; 10-26-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 01:32 PM

19,826 posts, read 22,729,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Keep dreaming short bread, if he touches Medicare or Social Security, he's toast. Old people vote!
Not to mention if 401k's get whacked. There's another 50million unhappy campers.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:06 PM

30,665 posts, read 18,290,146 times
LOL weren't you the same people saying that Trump wouldn't win most of those states to begin with?

Old 10-26-2017, 02:13 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,378,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You mean while you and the other Trumplings continue to ignore corruption in your own party? You know you're doing it.
Ha. A liberal Democrat talking about corruption.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:18 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,738,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
2018 is the year to vote, since control of the House and/or Senate will impact government in a very big way. A big enough way that can severely limit Trump's agenda. 2018 is just as important as 2020.
Completely agree. Democrats need to make clear that every Republican voted out weakens Trump. Kicking Republicans to the curb is patriotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies