Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 11:21 AM

31,077 posts, read 22,130,979 times

Advertisements

Prayer can help

Agnostic here, former Sikh, not Christian, but I can easily acknowledge the value of Prayer in Religion, just as I can see the value of meditation, modern Psychiatric therapy, and non- religious communities coming together in times of need.

Not that hard to figure out, people coming together in prayer provides hope and support, and will aid in their recovery. The continued ridicule by "Supposedly" Liberal people against people who believe in prayer, or just find it helpful, proves how un-Liberal these people are.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:25 AM

24,026 posts, read 15,125,430 times
There is a great little book that I give to kids of confirmation age, "Your God Is Too Small" by J.B. Phillips.

This thread informs me I need to read it again.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:27 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,577,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
sure have. Not the whole thing but much of it. Can you point out the part that is similar to some of the sick depraved stuff King has come up with? Like in pet cemetary where the dead infant slashes the old man to death??
Because Pet Semetary is a work of fiction, just like the bible.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:40 AM

30,198 posts, read 11,850,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
You are confused on when the cell phone came in. The two in Johhnie’s truck called the police while they were chasing Kelley.

Here is a more detailed chain of events for you: And you can see the interview from Johnnie also saying this

Hero describes how he tracked down church shooter after attack - San Antonio Express-News

"I pulled up to the intersection where the shooting happened and I saw two men exchanging gunfire," Langendorff said, noting the shooter and another local were shooting at each other.
Once the gunman fled the church grounds in his vehicle, Langendorff said the other man came to his car.
"The other gentleman said we needed to pursue (the shooter) because he shot up the church," he said. "So that's what I did. I just acted."
The pair chased the man down FM 539 headed North before the shooter lost control and ran off the roadway. Langendorff said the other man with him jumped out othe car and drew his rifle on Kelley.
"He didn't move after that," Langendorff said.

This is were the cell phone came in
The pair were able to lead law enforcement authorities to where Kelley was. The 26-year-old was found dead in his vehicle. It is not immediately clear how he died.
You claimed divine intervention then contradicted yourself. Someone inside the church called 911. I had read an earlier report that someone showed up at the church because of a cell phone call.

Texas shooter yelled, ‘Everybody die, motherf–ker!’ | New York Post

The gunman opened fire some time after 11:20 a.m., according to officials. By 11:30 a.m., Ramirez had crawled out of the line of fire and called 911, the station reported.

One observation:

Solis, who suffered a gunshot wound to her shoulder, said her only option was to play dead.

“I shouldn’t have gone to church that day,” she remembers thinking as she huddled under the pew.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:47 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,983,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
But it does. People should not believe in things that aren't true. We don't teach our kids that the world is made of green cheese. We don't teach our children that leprechauns or unicorns exist. We don't teach our kids to pray to and depend on unicorns to save them when the going gets tough. We should depend on ourselves, family, and friends to help us in times of trouble. It is vitally important to believe in things that are true, not in things that are false. Believing false things is not only harmful to the believer, but to others. I can't believe I have to point out such an obvious fact. Just because many people believe in God doesn't make him real; it only makes him popular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
So you are right and the believers are wrong? Interesting.
I believe I am. But I am open to proof that I'm wrong and that a god or gods exist. If a god or gods exist, by all means, please show me. I like to learn new things, I've been wrong before, and I have no problem admitting it. But in the complete absence of proof that deities have ever existed, I can confidently say that a god(s) don't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
But god is real to them. So how does that affect you? It certainly doesn't affect me. People who choose to believe in god find comfort, happiness and a sense of community. Why is that a bad thing? Explain to me how someone praying to someone or something to help them find comfort during bad times affects you in any way. It doesn't.

Now we can get into a whole debate about how religion is a big reason wars are started and that christians kill other christians and non believers, but this thread is about people praying to find comfort or to ease others pain.

Again, I do not believe in god. It just doesn't make any sense to me, but if believing in a god helps others get through the day or feel whole, than more power to them.
But it is harmful. Believing in delusions is harmful to nonbelievers, and even people of other religions. My opinion is an unpopular one, because nonbelievers are always supposed to be openminded toward believers, but when politicians allow discrimination of real people based on their "sincere religious beliefs" because God supposedly thinks it's OK, other people's religion certainly harms people who do not believe the same way they do.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:57 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,338,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
sure have. Not the whole thing but much of it. Can you point out the part that is similar to some of the sick depraved stuff King has come up with? Like in pet cemetary where the dead infant slashes the old man to death??
Pet Semetery*

Rape of Dinah
Genocide in Joshua
Dismemberment of a Levite's concubine (Fun fact, in the story the townspeople originally wanted to rape the Levite)
Dismemberment of a slave (Book of Luke)
In Revelations when angels pour a bowl of God's wrath in the oceans turning them into the "blood of corpses"
Jacob's wives' slaves' sexual abuse
Death of Judas
Paul wanting his opponents to have their genitals cut off
Cain killing Abel
Lot gives up his daughters to rapists
Basically the whole book of Leviticus

Old 11-07-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
If I'm wrong, it won't be the first or last time- just like you.
True. That is why I do try to err on the side of kindness, caution, and logic.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:01 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,839,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Pet Semetery*

Rape of Dinah
Genocide in Joshua
Dismemberment of a Levite's concubine (Fun fact, in the story the townspeople originally wanted to rape the Levite)
Dismemberment of a slave (Book of Luke)
In Revelations when angels pour a bowl of God's wrath in the oceans turning them into the "blood of corpses"
Jacob's wives' slaves' sexual abuse
Death of Judas
Paul wanting his opponents to have their genitals cut off
Cain killing Abel
Lot gives up his daughters to rapists
Basically the whole book of Leviticus
Could also add in the whole book of Revelation, but that is more John Carpenter/Lovecraft than Steven King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Prayer can help

Agnostic here, former Sikh, not Christian, but I can easily acknowledge the value of Prayer in Religion, just as I can see the value of meditation, modern Psychiatric therapy, and non- religious communities coming together in times of need.

Not that hard to figure out, people coming together in prayer provides hope and support, and will aid in their recovery. The continued ridicule by "Supposedly" Liberal people against people who believe in prayer, or just find it helpful, proves how un-Liberal these people are.
I don't have a problem with prayer itself. I do have a problem with it when it's not followed by action.

3,929 posts, read 2,957,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I believe I am. But I am open to proof that I'm wrong and that a god or gods exist. If a god or gods exist, by all means, please show me. I like to learn new things, I've been wrong before, and I have no problem admitting it. But in the complete absence of proof that deities have ever existed, I can confidently say that a god(s) don't exist.

But it is harmful. Believing in delusions is harmful to nonbelievers, and even people of other religions. My opinion is an unpopular one, because nonbelievers are always supposed to be openminded toward believers, but when politicians allow discrimination of real people based on their "sincere religious beliefs" because God supposedly thinks it's OK, other people's religion certainly harms people who do not believe the same way they do.
I agree with you completely that god(s) do not exsist. I never understood how people believed in the bible wholeheartedly and without question. It just made no sense to me.

I guess I can see why people choosing to believe in a book and how it tells them to live their lives affects us if those are the people who make the laws and rules of the land. Then sure it does affect me there. I don't agree that our land should be ruled by the bible and I'm thankful that there are others who also think church and state should be seperate.

But people praying to a god to find comfort in a time of need is not delusional. It helps them and it gives them peace. I still see nothing wrong with that. Their wanting that hope doesn't affect me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies