Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 03:04 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,354,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
People who pray regularly know that it much more than the act of supplication (making a wish and blowing out a candle).
It is a spiritual communion with God ( meditation )
It is a Thanksgiving (gratitude , appreciating and showing of kindness in return.
It is Adoration (homeage and worship of our beloved God)
and
Confession ( absolvement for past sins by way of sacrament of Penance).

People are susceptible to being a statistic regardless of religion.
All living humans will one day take their last breaths regardless.

People come together for each other in times off good and in times of bad. All are invited to show
emotional support. No one is excluded.

Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of death ,I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your satff, they comfort me.

Peace out............
Yes and all of those are wonderful things to take part in but they don't DO anything to SOLVE problems. That takes real action.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:14 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,960,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I believe there are people that do not believe in God. Which is fine. We don’t have to all believe the same.

I also believe that those who do not believe along with being so angry at the world and others for believing in God, that they really do believe. They feel that have been stiffed or gotten the short end of the stick and blame God. But instead they say they don’t believe in him.
I find this interesting.

As I have stated, I do not believe in god. I do get angry at the world and the many stupid things people do. I do not however feel I got stiffed or recieved the short end of the stick. I don't blame god because I don't believe he is real. The problems we have in this world are clearly the fault of the humans who are causing war, killing people, hurting others, bully each other into deep depressions and suicide and all the other horrible things that go on in the world. We are all responsible for our own actions.

If I do something stupid, it's all on me. No one else is to blame. As soon as humans start owning up to their mistakes and bad ways, we will all be better off.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:15 PM

31,132 posts, read 22,168,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't have a problem with prayer itself. I do have a problem with it when it's not followed by action.
Prayer has to be followed by action? Im sure there are plenty of people who dont follow prayer with action. Explain?

Old 11-07-2017, 03:19 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,570,632 times
I have to wonder what kinds of response people like the OP would state given if a church of Satan was hit or a UU church.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:19 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,354,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Prayer has to be followed by action? Im sure there are plenty of people who dont follow prayer with action. Explain?
It's been pretty well covered here in this thread but two quick examples.

If I'm suffering from diabetes, prayer isn't going to help unless I follow it up with actions like eating better and exercising.

If I'm bleeding out because of a car accident, prayer isn't going to help unless I also seek medical attention.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:23 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,544,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I have to wonder what kinds of response people like the OP would state given if a church of Satan was hit or a UU church.
It would be the same. All horrible events like this needs prayer, no matter who is involved.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:23 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,562,495 times
Prayer is an opiate for the mind.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:26 PM

52,357 posts, read 52,828,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
WALSH: If You're Responding To A Massacre At A Church By Mocking Prayer, Please Shut Up | Daily Wire

"I have never in my life been more disgusted than I am right now. Of course I'm disgusted first and foremost by the evil, pitiful coward who slaughtered so many innocent Christians while they worshiped on Sunday. But I'm nearly as disgusted by the reaction from so many people. A reaction that has included the gleeful mockery of faith and prayer.

Moments after the bodies hit the church floor, there were people -- including prominent people -- on social media practically gloating about it. "See? Prayer doesn't work!" "Prayer isn't enough!" "This is where prayers get you!" Etc.

There is never a good time for this ridiculous anti-prayer nonsense, but right after 25 Christians were murdered at a church is the worst possible time imaginable. So please, sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, shut up: "

Well I guess we don't need to look very far to see where this evil starts. Many people out there are evil to begin with. Disgusting to comment the way they do.
Blood and bodies are literally on the ground still warm and people instantly come out and say the most time based inappropriate comments.

People that are mocking the whole prayer thing are truly vile. I'm not a religious person in the least and I wouldn't never mock saying prayers or whatever it happens to be. People need to show some compassion and allow people to deal with this stuff in their own way.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:30 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,102,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Blood and bodies are literally on the ground still warm and people instantly come out and say the most time based inappropriate comments.

People that are mocking the whole prayer thing are truly vile. I'm not a religious person in the least and I wouldn't never mock saying prayers or whatever it happens to be. People need to show some compassion and allow people to deal with this stuff in their own way.
People are mocking the politicians in power who solemnly say they'll pray for the today's victims, while taking money from the NRA and pledging to do nothing for tomorrow's victims. It's an empty, useless gesture meant to make it look like they care. If they truly cared they would address the problem. But they don't and they won't. They deserve to be mocked for that.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:34 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,531,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I believe there are people that do not believe in God. Which is fine. We don’t have to all believe the same.

I also believe that those who do not believe along with being so angry at the world and others for believing in God, that they really do believe. They feel that have been stiffed or gotten the short end of the stick and blame God. But instead they say they don’t believe in him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've never said I don't believe in God. Yes, I am confused and angry with the world and with a God that allows a grown man to shoot babies point blank in the head.
I hear you, Magritte. I get confused a lot around it too.
As I ultimelty believe in a force of God, I am more day to day living spiritually with the earth, animals, and nature. In a sort of the way of the Native Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies