Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 06:08 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Those of us who live in south Alabama travel to Pensacola frequently (mostly for tax free groceries) and all three of our local TV stations cover both Mobile and Pensacola. I live in AL but I can get to the Bay Center in Pensacola in 40 minutes.
Ahh -- maybe the Bay Center was the only available venue in the area. That may explain it and seems reasonable.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Dear God...
lmao I got it now. Good one.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
You won’t understand subtlety written in English if you primarily speak Russian and write in Cyrillic, so I’m not going to bother to explain it to you.
lol That you can't even explain it correctly is funnier than me not getting the joke.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:54 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If you believe as you say its much ado about nothing -- why make a point -- (which is kind of making it something) NOT to cross state lines. It makes no sense NOT to cross state lines.

See -- nobody can give a rational, logical, reasonable, intelligent reason why he wouldn't campaign in Alabama for Moore.
Why is Trump campaigning for Moore at all? Never mind the location; doesn't POTUS have better things to do? It is normal for a POTUS to campaign for senatorial candidates?

Old 12-11-2017, 06:57 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:

I really am curious and baffled that Trump chose to obviously not go into Alabama to campaign for Moore. He chose to go to Pensacola.

That makes no logical, intelligent sense to me.

If you are campaigning for a candidate shouldn't you do it in THEIR district.
Logistics. For example,

Bill & Hillary Clinton made campaign appearances in Ft. Mill, South Carolina, for Charlotte, North Carolina.

Happens all the time.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Logistics. For example,

Bill & Hillary Clinton made campaign appearances in Ft. Mill, South Carolina, for Charlotte, North Carolina.

Happens all the time.
oh I don't remember Hillary coming to South Carolina for a candidate in Charlotte -- I guess I missed that. Can't seem to find who she was campaigning for.

But it still makes no sense.

'Happens all the time' -- not a defense for doing something that makes no sense -- lol.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:22 AM

33,324 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
When Trump came here to Salt Lake last week, he just went to our regular civilian airport, even though Hill AFB is only 30 miles away if they wanted to avoid delaying civilian flights at a decently large international airport.

I know he went to SLC since I read something about flights departing and arriving being delayed because we had visitors coming the next day and texted about how we were glad they didn’t come on Monday.

I see Mobile has a regional airport. I would think it would have been easier than the roundabout reasoning you had, though who knows. I still think this was more of a way to skirt going to Alabama, since the WH had announced 2 weeks prior he wouldn’t, but still be in a good place to reach a lot of the people in Alabama.
Well, at least you acknowledge my point about the potential of Air Force One delaying flights at a civilian airport.

You may be right, but I don't think your singular example alone....at least with the information provided...shows that I'm wrong. I had two related thoughts while reading that example:

1. What were the road conditions and weather like when Trump was in SLC? (If the weather and road conditions = enough below ideal....and the SS would have to deal with that....that might outweigh the flight inconvenience issue.

2. Where was he headed next?

---------

I was curious re 'Has Trump held rallies in Mobile, AL' and 'has Trump held rallies in Pensacola FL'. The answer is....both. Trump held one rally in Mobile (August 2015) before he started getting Secret Service protection, and then after getting SS protection held a rally at the same (as 12/8/2017) Pensacola Bay Center in January of 2016, and at Land-Peebles Stadium (same site as August of 2015) in Mobile in December of 2016.

I can think of two reasons off the top of my head that the Pensacola Bay Center might have won out this time:

1. Weather (Land-Peebles Stadium = outdoor venue, the Pensacola Bay Center = indoor venue...and people waited in rain gear to get into the PBC on 12/8)

2 Trump's massive ego (Land-Peebles has 4x the capacity of the Pensacola Bay Center...harder for it to look 'crowded')

-----------

Your point re the promise from two or so weeks ago could be significant. I could see Kelly trying to get Trump to pay attention to that.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:26 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
No offense, but you are not familiar with the area, which is why you do not understand. The Gulf Coast of Florida has long been referred to the 'redneck riviera'. In fact, there is much intermingling and cultural homogeneity to the entire Gulf Coast. Can guarantee you the event attracted as many Alabamians as Floridians.

Quote:
Please let's not go down the attack or blind support of Trump.

I really am curious and baffled that Trump chose to obviously not go into Alabama to campaign for Moore. He chose to go to Pensacola.

That makes no logical, intelligent sense to me.

If you are campaigning for a candidate shouldn't you do it in THEIR district.

Addendum (I was soaking up some sun, sand, and relaxation this week so I may have missed the story on this one)

Old 12-11-2017, 08:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I get creeped out by someone even trying to defend this.
You get "creeped" out by someone who simply asks that one uses the correct words instead of ignorantly tossing words around just to get reactions? Sorry, didn't know some could be so fragile...

Old 12-11-2017, 08:15 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
wow!

https://twitter.com/foxnewspoll/stat...35553802477569
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies