Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:48 PM

21,275 posts, read 19,899,892 times

Advertisements

Instead of sending him to prison, send him to Iraq, Syria, etc. and set him loose on the enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 10:43 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,033,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, I was born in 1985. I think the word "hazing" should be redefined. For example, in whose world, gold wing pinning ceremony should be considered hazing?
I don't get that pinning thing. The pain is one thing, that comes and goes. But to have your chest mutilated like that baffles me. I don't care how much I love my employer, I don't want them branding me for life! But then I don't have any tattoos or piercings either. If I alter my body I at least want it to be an improvement, like lifting weights for example.

I remember this special on TV. I just can't believe that was already 20 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-RSdUgbVk

Old 11-10-2017, 10:51 PM

28,714 posts, read 18,922,600 times
Quote:
Well, I was born in 1985. I think the word "hazing" should be redefined. For example, in whose world, gold wing pinning ceremony should be considered hazing?

This story is about

a 34-year-old Iraq veteran and decorated Marine, punched, kicked and choked recruits in his charge, including one who killed himself.

A Marine Corps drill instructor who was convicted of harassing and assaulting dozens of young recruits — directing particular rage at Muslim enlistees — has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.

He shouldn't have punched or kicked or choked the recruits, but if somebody committed suicide, well, they shouldn't be in the Marine Corps anyway. When my brother served in the Marine Corps, there was one person committed suicide during bootcamp training, I don't think drill instructor should be blamed for that. No?

My brother has been "hazed" in bootcamp and in Recon training; my fiance has been hazed, all my friends have been hazed. Just saying. Did the drill instructor single anybody out? come on now.
You aren't a Marine. The jury panel was, senior Marines who have been there, done that.

They know what kind of Corps they want to be members of.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:13 PM

39,380 posts, read 27,767,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You aren't a Marine. The jury panel was, senior Marines who have been there, done that.

They know what kind of Corps they want to be members of.
What is your point? You are not a Marine either. Did I say they did something wrong? What is your problem ?

The only point I was making is that if somebody committed suicide, he shouldn't be in the Marine Corps. what is wrong with that ? Duh.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-10-2017 at 11:26 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I don't get that pinning thing. The pain is one thing, that comes and goes. But to have your chest mutilated like that baffles me. I don't care how much I love my employer, I don't want them branding me for life! But then I don't have any tattoos or piercings either. If I alter my body I at least want it to be an improvement, like lifting weights for example.

I remember this special on TV. I just can't believe that was already 20 years ago.

It is a bonding process for the gold wingers.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:27 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,147,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Instead of sending him to prison, send him to Iraq, Syria, etc. and set him loose on the enemy.
If he's beating up Americans without provocation what makes you think he won't be up Iraqi civilians?

Old 11-11-2017, 08:46 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,033,349 times
Quote:
It is a bonding process for the gold wingers.
Bonding...wow. If somebody were to try that on me, the next thing to get pinned would be their teeth to their throat.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Bonding...wow. If somebody were to try that on me, the next thing to get pinned would be their teeth to their throat.
Yeah, I understand. But for gold wingers, they don't view it that way. The pinning ceremony is for them, not for somebody who are not one of them. One needs to earn that right.

Here is the picture of a gold wing on the uniform

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...econ-boys.html

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-11-2017 at 10:01 AM..

Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,910,590 times
Quote:

Because I am guessing you didn't serve. Those who never served don't get it and never will. Not putting you down, just saying you don't have a frame of reference.
I have tried to explain it but it normally falls on deaf, confused ears.
It is a right of passage, a bonding ritual with those who came before. In the Navy they have their shellback ceremonies. Its about tradition and joining the ranks. I can't explain it any other way. Maybe someone else can. I cherish the memories of the rituals. I don't know a single vet who went through it that doesn't look back and smile. Watch vets exchange stories of when they went through it. They will smile and laugh. I agree it isn't for everyone. Then again the military isn't for everyone. Thats when you put your ego away and think in terms of unit, of service, of uniform and country.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:08 AM

18,531 posts, read 9,221,028 times
Abuse of Marine recruits in boot camp? I didn't know that was illegal...I thought that was the whole point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies