Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:31 AM

19,755 posts, read 10,202,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Abuse of Marine recruits in boot camp? I didn't know that was illegal...I thought that was the whole point.
It was in the Army in 1969. All we recruits were slapped and treated like less than human. They said they needed to break our spirit so we would follow orders without question. Stand at attention for hours, if you moved, you got punched, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 11:19 AM

18,759 posts, read 7,669,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
All I will say that any drill instructor has ZERO reason to lay his hands on a recruit to the point of slapping them and stomping all over them
Pure malarkey. You've been spending too much time watching Pokémon cartoons.

That drill instructor's job is to prepare those recruits for an enemy who will slap them and stomp all over them. Maybe this instructor went overboard and did it too much, I don't know.

But ZERO reason?

That's naïve to the point of lunacy.

His job is also to winnow out the recruits who will never be tough enough to fight and support their fellow soldiers during hard, scary, painful, and even terrifying times. Recruits who don't have the personal strength and discipline to stick to what they have to do in the face of somebody slapping, stomping them, and worse. Some recruits just can't handle that and don't belong in the Marine Corps. They will be a danger to themselves and their mates. The DI's job is to see that they head for the door BEFORE they can do major harm to the rest.

Again, maybe he overdid it. But lots of Drill Instructors go through the same routines he did, and for very important reasons.

I can tell that you're not in the Corps, simply from the attitude you display here.

As some poster recently said, good riddance.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:24 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,147,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It was in the Army in 1969. All we recruits were slapped and treated like less than human. They said they needed to break our spirit so we would follow orders without question. Stand at attention for hours, if you moved, you got punched, etc.
I could see how pushing someone to their limit physically and emotionally by demanding their best.

I could see how breaking someone down emotionally to rebuild them

But I don't understand how beating someone unprovoked, someone who can't fight back makes that person stronger. Maybe more submissive, which I suppose is what the drill instructor wanted.

But if you have physically beat you into submission to get obedience than that person never respected you, and they still dont, they just fear you

Old 11-11-2017, 11:31 AM

19,755 posts, read 10,202,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
I could see how pushing someone to their limit physically and emotionally by demanding their best.

I could see how breaking someone down emotionally to rebuild them

But I don't understand how beating someone unprovoked, someone who can't fight back makes that person stronger. Maybe more submissive, which I suppose is what the drill instructor wanted.

But if you have physically beat you into submission to get obedience than that person never respected you, and they still dont, they just fear you
In combat, I did not see where the abuse helped at all.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:33 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,133,392 times
There's a difference between building up recruits and abusing them by throwing them into dryers. This guy deserved to go to prison. He was convicted by a jury of his peers - fellow Marines - and if they say he did wrong, then he did wrong.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:09 PM

28,714 posts, read 18,922,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
There's a difference between building up recruits and abusing them by throwing them into dryers. This guy deserved to go to prison. He was convicted by a jury of his peers - fellow Marines - and if they say he did wrong, then he did wrong.
People here are speaking from their own thoughts about "what it was for me" or something else they imagine.

The court-martial jury had the facts of exactly what happened in this case, and the old Marines on that panel--who had all been through boot camp themselves, and had likely all been through combat themselves--ruled this guy was very wrong.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:29 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,978,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Bonding...wow. If somebody were to try that on me, the next thing to get pinned would be their teeth to their throat.

And the next thing would be you hitting the deck unconscious. You see you would not be dealing with keyboard warriors here.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:23 PM

57,405 posts, read 26,399,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I also was in the Army in 1969, basic training and it was never acceptable to abuse recruits and no one ever stated they needed to break anyone spirit. Basic training and conditioning was very demanding physically, team work and becoming mentally focused. Any mistakes or lack if effort were met with more physically demanding exercises but punching a recruit was not accepted behavior. One of my drill instructors was court martialed for hitting a recruit with a rifle but, another DI was also spoken to having us use foul language while marching.

This DI was way overboard and a group of his peers judged his behavior.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,263,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, if they are going to fight the middle easterns and North koreans, they probably need tougher training. Let's just face reality already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What is the enemy going to do to them?
Must also be honest that most of those in the military, dont face combat or see enemies face to face. There are many behind the scenes and if they are recruits, this isnt a fair response

Old 11-11-2017, 03:35 PM

39,380 posts, read 27,767,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Must also be honest that most of those in the military, dont face combat or see enemies face to face. There are many behind the scenes and if they are recruits, this isnt a fair response
They still need to prepare themselves mentally and physically. I am not saying this drill instructor was right, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies