Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:08 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,757,012 times

Advertisements

Good riddance.

Now, most certainly he will have his supporters out there and on this forum, talking about how P.C. has run amok even in military boot camp/basic training, that there was absolutely nothing wrong with what this Marine did.

All I will say that any drill instructor has ZERO reason to lay his hands on a recruit to the point of slapping them and stomping all over them and other forms of sadistic hazing nonsense. I don't care what your grandpappy experienced during boot, this is the year 2018 and there is no need for that nonsense. I don't care if you think that this kind of abuse is 'necessary' to train recruits. It isn't.

I have no problems with drill instructors yelling and screaming and making recruits do physical exercise as punishment and hazing. This is a time honored tradition of basic/boot to shock civilians, break them down, and mold them into a cohesive soldier/Marine. However, there is a line you don't cross.

Marine drill instructor gets 10 years for abusing recruits | Fox News

Quote:
A Marine Corps drill instructor convicted of physically abusing young recruits, one of whom killed himself, was sentenced Friday to 10 years in military prison.

The eight-man jury at Camp Lejeune, N.C., on Friday also sentenced 34-year-old Gunnery Sgt. Joseph Felix to forfeiture of all pay, reduction of his rank to private and a dishonorable discharge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 05:18 PM

39,321 posts, read 27,704,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good riddance.

Now, most certainly he will have his supporters out there and on this forum, talking about how P.C. has run amok even in military boot camp/basic training, that there was absolutely nothing wrong with what this Marine did.

All I will say that any drill instructor has ZERO reason to lay his hands on a recruit to the point of slapping them and stomping all over them and other forms of sadistic hazing nonsense. I don't care what your grandpappy experienced during boot, this is the year 2018 and there is no need for that nonsense. I don't care if you think that this kind of abuse is 'necessary' to train recruits. It isn't.
Well, I was born in 1985. I think the word "hazing" should be redefined. For example, in whose world, gold wing pinning ceremony should be considered hazing?

This story is about

a 34-year-old Iraq veteran and decorated Marine, punched, kicked and choked recruits in his charge, including one who killed himself.

A Marine Corps drill instructor who was convicted of harassing and assaulting dozens of young recruits — directing particular rage at Muslim enlistees — has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.

He shouldn't have punched or kicked or choked the recruits, but if somebody committed suicide, well, they shouldn't be in the Marine Corps anyway. When my brother served in the Marine Corps, there was one person committed suicide during bootcamp training, I don't think drill instructor should be blamed for that. No?

My brother has been "hazed" in bootcamp and in Recon training; my fiance has been hazed, all my friends have been hazed. Just saying. Did the drill instructor single anybody out? come on now.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-10-2017 at 05:28 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 05:37 PM

Well, if they are going to fight the middle easterns and North koreans, they probably need tougher training. Let's just face reality already.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:40 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,623,328 times
What is the enemy going to do to them?

Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,819,171 times
Dude is a hard one for sure. But from what I hear recruits complained about "knife hand" so much that it has been disallowed? Give me an effing break. And little cards in the Army to hold up if you feel you are being mistreated? Committing suicide because someone yelled and slapped you tells me there were other problems with that boy. I am sad for his parents but dang - and to sue? If any of the people complaining about boot camp actually have to go to war, I hope they are able to be relied up by the men standing next to them. If you can't then the armed services are not for you.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:00 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,405,949 times
Quote:
All I will say that any drill instructor has ZERO reason to lay his hands on a recruit to the point of slapping them and stomping all over them and other forms of sadistic hazing nonsense. I don't care what your grandpappy experienced during boot, this is the year 2018 . . . .
I will pay top dollar for newspapers from the future! There's a lot of money to be made!

Old 11-10-2017, 07:10 PM

691 posts, read 421,511 times
first of all, Happy 242nd birthday USMC, on the Island religious hazing didn't happen to us, no one encouraged it, i thought it was a thing of the past

there was screaming physical hardships and body strikes. that was for a good purpose! nothing that could kill, but somethings that might make you scared ... no dryers.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:18 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,549,996 times
I have read none of the testimony but still I can be pissed that this guy got ruined and Bergdahl walked for walking and traitorous spy Chesea Bradley Manning got medical treatment for a sex change.
That is surely mixed up judgment.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:27 PM

39,897 posts, read 26,590,299 times
Quote:
Good riddance.

I have no problems with drill instructors yelling and screaming and making recruits do physical exercise as punishment and hazing. This is a time honored tradition of basic/boot to shock civilians, break them down, and mold them into a cohesive soldier/Marine. However, there is a line you don't cross.

Marine drill instructor gets 10 years for abusing recruits | Fox News
I don't disagree with the sentiment. However the punishment is way out of line for the "crime". Bergdahl did FAR worse and got 6 men killed looking for his deserting azz. And that POS gets ZERO prison time. This guy-dishonorable discharge at worst, with no prison.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't disagree with the sentiment. However the punishment is way out of line for the "crime". Bergdahl did FAR worse and got 6 men killed looking for his deserting azz. And that POS gets ZERO prison time. This guy-dishonorable discharge at worst, with no prison.
He got 10 years in military prison. In my opinion, not fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies