Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:20 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,350,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Why are the LA Times and Jerry Brown saying the opposite:
California's budget deficit is back, Gov. Jerry Brown says

California's budget deficit is back, Gov. Jerry Brown says - LA Times
CA ran a huge surplus last year. Obviously every year is a new budget, and there's nothing in the article that indicates that there are any current budget issues.

You Trump cultists are desperately searching to find something "bad" about CA, it's hilarious. Even posting articles from sources you relentless claim are "fakenews".

Sorry, but CA is just a bit better than the Trumplandia trailer parks of Mississippi and West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 10:22 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
For openers, the top ten cities with the highest poverty rates, are led by Democrats:

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn’t elected a Republican mayor since 1961;
Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn’t elected one since 1954;
Cincinnati, OH (3rd)… since 1984;
Cleveland, OH (4th)… since 1989;
Miami, FL (5th) has never had a Republican Mayor;
St. Louis, MO (6th)…. since 1949;
El Paso, TX (7th) has never had a Republican Mayor;
Milwaukee, WI (8th)… since 1908;
Philadelphia, PA (9th)… since 1952;
Newark, NJ (10th)… since 1907.

California owns three of the five Biggest Municipal Bankruptcies In U.S. History. ...

Detroit, Michigan (2013) ...
Jefferson County, Alabama (2011) ...
Orange County, California (1994) ...
Stockton, California (2012) ...
San Bernardino County, California (2012)

Similarly, Democrat lead states (including California) have among the highest debt, tax, poverty and COL rates. I'm not knocking California, but, question whether state and local management by liberal Democrats should be emulated by other (more fortunate) cities and states.
Nearly all cities have democrat mayors though? So the list will look the same either way...

Old 11-11-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Tangible assets in excess of tangible debt makes people wealthy.

The poor slob in Mississippi in a double wide (without debt) is wealthier than the Malibu producer leveraged upside down. Good cash flow is not wealth.
But that isn't reality. You're comparing crazy extremes, as if typical Malibu homeowners are buying without assets and typical Mississippi trailer park owners have millions in investment income.

Most CA homeowners don't even have mortgages and are millionaires or near-millionaires, on paper. Trailer parks are depreciating assets, and have no equity, by definition.

If you're in Palo Alto, and you own your home free and clear, you're a millionaire, probably multi-millionaire. If you're in MS and own home free and clear, you might not have anything.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
CA ran a huge surplus last year. Obviously every year is a new budget, and there's nothing in the article that indicates that there are any current budget issues.

You Trump cultists are desperately searching to find something "bad" about CA, it's hilarious. Even posting articles from sources you relentless claim are "fakenews".

Sorry, but CA is just a bit better than the Trumplandia trailer parks of Mississippi and West Virginia.
Palo Alto is better than a Mississippi trailer park. Most people here in California, however, live in conditions more like Mississippi than my neighborhood.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:26 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Tangible assets in excess of tangible debt makes people wealthy.

The poor slob in Mississippi in a double wide (without debt) is wealthier than the Malibu producer leveraged upside down. Good cash flow is not wealth.
Except that probably most of the people in Malibu aren't leveraged up to the hilt, since it is occupied by movie stars and other entertainers, and similar types who can buy properties like that with all-cash.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:27 PM

30,183 posts, read 11,821,267 times
Quote:

I did not vote for Trump nor am I a supporter. California is neither the worst or best state. But your condescending tone is quite obnoxious, hard not to respond to that.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Palo Alto is better than a Mississippi trailer park. Most people here in California, however, live in conditions more like Mississippi than my neighborhood.
Have you been to MS? No, CA is not remotely similar.

There are areas in the Central Valley that are very poor and backward, but still not as poor as MS, and those areas in CA happen to be conservative Trumpland.

Of course CA is a big state, so there's a broad array of communities. But overall, the state is very prosperous, and an economic powerhouse.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
But that isn't reality. You're comparing crazy extremes, as if typical Malibu homeowners are buying without assets and typical Mississippi trailer park owners have millions in investment income.

Most CA homeowners don't even have mortgages and are millionaires or near-millionaires, on paper. Trailer parks are depreciating assets, and have no equity, by definition.

If you're in Palo Alto, and you own your home free and clear, you're a millionaire, probably multi-millionaire. If you're in MS and own home free and clear, you might not have anything.
I think you better recheck your statistic on mortgages in California

I own my home free because I’ve been here forever. Our taxes are locked due to Prop13 so we have zero incentive to move. My equity is locked in the proverbial Golden Handcuffs.

The huge run up in housing prices only benefits the people who sell at the top. Home equity is really not an investable asset.

Less than ten years ago we saw all these “millionaires” walking away from their fortune. Why?

Old 11-11-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Except that probably most of the people in Malibu aren't leveraged up to the hilt, since it is occupied by movie stars and other entertainers, and similar types who can buy properties like that with all-cash.
Homeowners in high-cost, high-income communities tend to be cash buyers. I'm in a NYC condo where all the units, even the one-bedrooms, go for over $1 million, and most buyers in my building don't take a mortgage.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Have you been to MS? No, CA is not remotely similar.

There are areas in the Central Valley that are very poor and backward, but still not as poor as MS, and those areas in CA happen to be conservative Trumpland.

Of course CA is a big state, so there's a broad array of communities. But overall, the state is very prosperous, and an economic powerhouse.
No. Overall there a small percentage of affluent people living on the backs of millions of serfs and house-poor slaves.

We are as poor as Mississippi. Yes, I’ve been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies