Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 01:51 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,212 times

Advertisements

I live in the UK and I've been on BST (British Summer Time) since October last year. I'm probably weird but I don't like sunset suddenly shifting an hour earlier when it is already early enough. Turns out I'm not the only one https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...me-health-fuel

Personally I think it is ludicrous to have the solar noon before actual noon. It's not as bad where I live but in the Lowestoft in East Anglia the solar noon is as early as 11:33 after the change to GMT. It doesn't make sense at this high latitude to change the clocks back, as there simply is not enough daylight in the evening to do so, regardless of how dark the mornings may otherwise get. It does make sense at lower latitudes for example the Canary Islands, as there is enough evening daylight to do so.

Some people seem to celebrate when the clocks go back. They think of that extra hour of daylight in the morning. Personally I think it is a waste, especially when you consider that hour is soon lost. I am absolutely fed up of the government telling us what to do, robbing us of an hour of daylight in the evening. There is absolutely no talk about even doing a trial scheme. I have emailed my MP and set up a petition with no success. I just think there would be so many benefits and it has been trialed before in WW2 and between 1968 and 1971.

Efforts were also squandered in 2012 when the daylight savings bill put forward by Rebecca Harris MP was taken down by just a few MPs.

It's not just the UK that's on the wrong time zone. Nevada has some ridiculously early sunsets for the latitude in the winter. In fact daylight is so much in favour of the mornings that it has some of the earliest solar noons on the planet. Winter mornings in Las Vegas are as light as summer mornings in Spain at the same latitude . At least there is some talk of changing the time there.

All in all it just doesn't make sense that the UK is on this timezone when you consider than equivalent latitudes in Mongolia and Canada don't change the clocks. Also flying west from London to Madrid results in the clocks going forward an hour, and much of France and Spain are the same longitude as the UK and yet we are one hour behind them .

I just wondered if there is anyone else who doesn't change their clocks or would like their government to change their time zone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 01:56 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
You'll never get it totally perfect. In the Milwaukee area the sun will rise at 5:11AM during the middle of summer and set at 4:15PM in the middle of winter. Both those are quite extreme numbers.... way too early, in my opinion. If anything eastern WI would be better served in the eastern time zone. Likewise many east coast cities like Boston having the sun set before the major rush hour seems to be like it would be a real pain in the ass... I'd want them to be in another time zone that's further east than the eastern time zone, or to stay on the summer daylight hours all year long.

I get they want to have it bright for kids to walk to school, but personally I wouldn't care if the sun didn't rise until 8AM in the winter. Most of the world runs differently than me, though. haha. My ideal climate doesn't exist... warm year-round where the sun rises at 10AM and sets at 4PM with super long, super warm/muggy nights. I suppose just move closer to the equator and I'd be closer to my ideal.

TLDR: They should just keep the summer daylight hours year long and eliminate daylight savings in the US. Better to have it light during rush hour than worry about having it light for kids walking to school, in my opinion.

Last edited by sholomar; 11-13-2017 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 02:05 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
I'm in Arizona. Nobody here changes their clocks (except for the Hopis up north) because we don't do Daylight Savings. Probably because we have so much sunshine we don't have to save it. LOL.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
You'll never get it totally perfect. In the Milwaukee area the sun will rise at 5:11AM during the middle of summer and set at 4:15PM in the middle of winter. Both those are quite extreme numbers.... way too early, in my opinion. If anything eastern WI would be better served in the eastern time zone. Likewise many east coast cities like Boston having the sun set before the major rush hour seems to be like it would be a real pain in the ass... I'd want them to be in another time zone that's further east than the eastern time zone, or to stay on the summer daylight hours all year long.

I get they want to have it bright for kids to walk to school, but personally I wouldn't care if the sun didn't rise until 8AM in the winter. Most of the world runs differently than me, though. haha. My ideal climate doesn't exist... warm year-round where the sun rises at 10AM and sets at 4PM with super long, super warm/muggy nights. I suppose just move closer to the equator and I'd be closer to my ideal.

TLDR: They should just keep the summer daylight hours year long and eliminate daylight savings in the US. Better to have it light during rush hour than worry about having it light for kids walking to school, in my opinion.
Better to just move every time zone a half hour later than Standard Time and leave it. Especially since the tropics don't use Daylight Savings at all

Old 11-13-2017, 02:10 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
I liked daylight saving time here in the US before 2007, when it was from mid April to late October. It’s too long now; too many dark mornings in March and October.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:13 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
DST makes no sense to me. I’m from AZ where DTS doesn’t happen. Wish other states would catch on. It’s a stupid thing.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
We should turn the clocks back daily. I'm all for an extra hour of sleep every night!

Old 11-13-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Better to just move every time zone a half hour later than Standard Time and leave it. Especially since the tropics don't use Daylight Savings at all
Yes, half an hour during the winter and I would be reasonably satisfied. At least I would still get up in the light. But then the sun would rise too early in the summer.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I liked daylight saving time here in the US before 2007, when it was from mid April to late October. It’s too long now; too many dark mornings in March and October.
I'd love to have 3 more weeks of the year where my time zone aligns with everyone else's

Old 11-13-2017, 02:33 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Yes, half an hour during the winter and I would be reasonably satisfied. At least I would still get up in the light. But then the sun would rise too early in the summer.
Only 30 mins earlier than now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies