Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
In the new militaristic Trump fascist state, apparently you can be.
These have been around well before Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
In the new militaristic Trump fascist state, apparently you can be.
What a moronic post. No facts, no links, just partisan stoooooopid about how since they've been doing stuff like this for many years...it's suddenly "Trump facist state".

Dude, I didn't even vote for Trump but it's insulting and alarming for you to make such comments since you obviously don't really know what real facism is and secondly are so partisan that you'd likely welcome it if it came from "your party" which is extremely disturbing.

How about you think for yourself for a change instead of just partisan lock-step. Helps you to stay consistent on topics and add meaningful commentary that makes you look at least informed and educated.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:07 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

I don't care how they view it.

In which case you sue and win. They do not detain people. They expect that you will simply willingly cede your rights and most do.
I agree that it might work that way in the fevered fantasy world you choose to inhabit, but here's what will actually happen in real life:

If you don't want to answer their questions at a checkpoint, they'll usher you over to the "enhanced scrutiny" lanes and they will ascertain your identity and immigration status in any event. You'll get to spend an extra 20 minutes waiting while they vet you. Obviously, if you're an American citizen or otherwise legally in the country, you would have been better off to spend the three seconds it takes to say, "Good day, sir...yes, I'm an American citizen," after which you would have been on your way, assuming you had elected to exercise good judgment.

But let us stipulate that, in view of your refusal to answer a simple question, it is clear that you do not possess good judgment. Suppose that instead, you elect to waste the officer's time and the taxpayers' money making them verify your identity independently. Then, after they let you pass, you roll down the window and with spittle flying, scream back at the checkpoint, "You violated my constitutional rights! I'm suing you bustards for every penny I can get!" This leaves the Border Patrol agents convulsed with laughter, of course, but inasmuch your previous actions have already established that you are lacking in sound judgment, you pull out your cell phone and place a call to your lawyer. That conversation will go something like this:

Lawyer: "You are an American citizen, but when asked by the Border Patrol if you were an American citizen, incurring zero legal risk in so admitting, you refused to respond, citing your constitutional rights. You then made them ascertain your identity and immigration status, thereby wasting your time and the resources of the U.S. taxpayer, not to mention delaying yourself by an additional 20 minutes. Now you're trying to waste my time by asking if you have some cause of action because of a situation precipitated solely by your own actions. Get off my phone right now, before I decide to send you a bill for an hour of my time. And next time you need some frivolous jackass instead of an attorney, call somebody else, please."

Old 11-17-2017, 04:10 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
And the new Godwin's Law raises its ugly head.
Sheesh, people, shut up before the moderator shuts us down.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:13 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
turn yourself in, you are a criminal.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:04 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It's a good thing no one said that to your Grandparents or Great Grandparents when they showed up at Ellis Island. Otherwise, you might be speaking some foreign language right now.
Some of us have American roots that go a little deeper than that, but it doesn't matter. Your argument is morally obnoxious regardless of how long someone's family has been in the country.

People who are invited to a party (or, worse, who crash a party) owe duties to their hosts, not to the billions of people who weren't invited. You don't show up and then start angling to make your hosts admit the whole world.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
It's a good thing no one said that to your Grandparents or Great Grandparents when they showed up at Ellis Island. Otherwise, you might be speaking some foreign language right now.

Funny how it became "our country", like some exclusive club that restricts it's memberships.
Every country is like that, and nothing could be more natural. I'm sure you have stuff that you consider your money and your car etc., and you restrict who uses it.

Funny how the concept of property applies to your personal stuff, but it doesn't apply to the country you share with the rest of us. Newsflash: you can't give away something that belongs to others. It's wrong. It's called theft.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
" Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
You take them, ado it somewhere else. Americans didn't want that wretched refuse then, and we don't want it now. Why are we supposed to take orders from some stupid poem?

Old 11-17-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I've never been asked to produce my driver's license at a checkpoint.
Never.

The agents ask if I am an America citizen, I say "yes" and they say "have a nice day."
I wasn't talking about checkpoints.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:28 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Because the rules are changing every day since Trump came in. They have no idea who he will target next, or what excuses he will use to deport them. Hell, even people who come here legally, as those who work on yachts, are finding it difficult to come here any more. He has screwed things up beyond belief.
[/color]
You must not travel much. Immigration laws change everywhere. Requirements change. Every nation has that right.
As for illegals living here on borrowed time. Shrug. Sucks to be an illegal. Sucks even more for those of us footing the bill.
Legals.
Legal immigrants here on a green card, provided they have met their obligations have nothing to fear. All legal green card holders over 18 know that they must carry their green card everywhere they go. Nothing new there.
All legal green card holders know that if convicted of a crime they face deportation. Nothing new there.
Dreamers have only their parents to blame for their situation.
Those here on work VISAs are not immigrants. They work in our country at our pleasure. Its not a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies