Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You're so unhappy...
Kinda like the lefties for the last 8 years, huh?

Are you guys allowed to have yours, but don't want us to have ours? That seems to be SOP for you guys, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:06 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
I'm downright giddy at watching the global warming crowd dump more CO2 and money into the biggest inaugural party ever. It's fun to watch libs spend money. . . . .

Old 01-20-2009, 03:58 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
What you've got to understand is that the other times we've had a sustained rise in global temperature of 4 degrees it has killed every living thing above the microscopic level, and took 8-10,000 years to accomplish.
would you care to expand on this?

not even the permian extinction - which putatively involved an ~8 degree [C] increase - killed 'every living thing above the microscopic level.'

Last edited by uggabugga; 01-20-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
I guess everyone is finding out what a fraud AL Gore is....I've spoken to alot of people who once believed in Global Warming and now are becoming very skeptical....It seems the tide is turning against Al Gore....thank God!!!!
3,146 scientists said its not a hoax!
Surveyed scientists agree global warming is real - CNN.com

they should know better huh?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,827 times
The article states that for the past 200 years earth has been warming...and man has been a major contributor to it.. if thats the case...what were we driving 200 years ago causing this warming...

Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 PM

585 posts, read 2,223,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
The article states that for the past 200 years earth has been warming...and man has been a major contributor to it.. if thats the case...what were we driving 200 years ago causing this warming...
Have you ever heard of the Industrial Revolution? I think they covered that in grade school.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Have you ever heard of the Industrial Revolution? I think they covered that in grade school.
But only the last 30 years are really important to the alarmists.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:49 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
But only the last 30 years are really important to the alarmists.

I don't know who the Alarmists are, but for people like me the concern has been there since I began to learn about it in "Middle School" (we called it "Junior High School" back then). In 1898 Arrhenius predicted it was a mathematically inevitable consequence of industrialization, based on the work of Tyndall in 1859 and Fourier in 1824. Technology advances during WWII like radar confirmed his findings, and the evidence has accumulated since then. The significance of the last 30 years is that most of the industrialization currently in place went into place since the mid-1970's.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Default Global Warming Real? Fake?

Well Thought out articles from Cal Tech in Pasadena, California. From their skeptic society web page.

IT IS REAL!
http://www.skeptic.com/the_magazine/featured_articles/v14n01resources/human-induced_climate_change.pdf (broken link)

IT IS BAD USE OF GOOD SCIENCE AND TOTALLY FAKE!
http://www.skeptic.com/the_magazine/featured_articles/v14n01resources/climate_of_belief.pdf (broken link)

From NASA:
WE DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!
NASA GISS: Science Briefs: Cloud Climatology: Computer Models

University of Oklahoma, and Hadly Center(UK), and University of Oxford (UK) and Duke University, and Cachoeira Paulista (Brazil) and University of Victgoria (Canada):
WE CAN'T DISPROVE GLOBAL WARMING BEING CAUSED BY CO2.
http://weather.ou.edu/~dkaroly/pdf%2...im%20Res03.pdf

You can go back and forth like this for a very long time.

Here is what I know:
1. It is cold today.
2. It is raining today.
3. It was nice last week.
4. Al Gore is not a scientist.
5. It is pretty easy to accurately predict what the weather will be tomorrow.
6. It is a little more difficult to accurately predict the weather next week.
7. It is very difficult to accurately predict the weather in a month.
8. It is almost impossible to predict the weather in a year.
9. Global warming pundits try to predict the weather in a 100 years.
10. 50 (+/-) scientists agreed on the global warming statements from the UN.
11. 652 scientists said the UN analaysis was wrong.
12. Nobody discusses with much impact the differences between precise scientifc models and accurate ones.
13. Nobody seems to agree on the margin of error in climate predictions many, many years from now. Except to say that the margin of error is anyhwhere from 50% to 300%.

So--taking the position that it is a bunch of nonsense is ok.
and taking the position that it is a problem is ok too.

We do know that global warming is occuring--we don't know why.

We really don't know.
But one thing we DO KNOW is:
The North Pole and the South Pole on Mars are melting (Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says)

This indicates that either 1) global warming is not caused by man or 2) global warming is caused by man and the two Mars rovers was all it took to "tip the scale" on Mars. Personally I go for number 1. It just seems more reasonable to me.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:12 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
For those overly concerned about global warming, can you explain to me why in the last 5 years Ocean temperatures haven't risen at all and, in fact, have slightly declined????

The Mystery of Global Warming's Missing Heat : NPR

Not trying to stir the pot, I've yet to hear a decent answer about it. Personally, I'm on the fence about the issue since it seems each new data that comes out contradicts the last one.
My personal opinion is that you won't see much of a rise in ocean temperatures until all the ice is done melting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies