Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 05:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The idiocy of this country and it's gun laws know no bounds. They ban guns in the courthouse. Should we allow divorcing couples to carry guns in court?. How about at child custody hearings? There are places guns do not belong.
or how about most any criminal trial? i agree there are places that guns dont belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 09:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
More accurately there are no places that guns belong. I get it. Courthouses are full of highly emotional people... sounds like AMERICA to me... sounds like most HOMES... and... guess what, guns go off in HOMES and all over AMERICA ~50,000 times a year. Most of the time the bullet(s) fired hit someone. I am not arguing the legality of guns in AMERICA. I am pointing out the irony of banning them in select venues. We've been doing that for decades now and it has scarcely made a dent in the ongoing carnage.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
More accurately there are no places that guns belong. I get it. Courthouses are full of highly emotional people... sounds like AMERICA to me... sounds like most HOMES... and... guess what, guns go off in HOMES and all over AMERICA ~50,000 times a year. Most of the time the bullet(s) fired hit someone. I am not arguing the legality of guns in AMERICA. I am pointing out the irony of banning them in select venues. We've been doing that for decades now and it has scarcely made a dent in the ongoing carnage.
in most cases the reason for the carnage, as you put it, is because there is no good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. i will also note that in most cases, the guns used in criminal activity are obtained ILLEGALLY in the first place.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:22 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Oh geez, 330 give or take million people. The number of times MOST of us have ever experienced something negative with firearms would be zero.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in most cases the reason for the carnage, as you put it, is because there is no good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. i will also note that in most cases, the guns used in criminal activity are obtained ILLEGALLY in the first place.
Wrong. In all the recent high profile mass shootings there were a few to several people with guns on the defensive side and they were mowed down with all the rest. In the ONE hailed situation in Texas it cannot be fairly said that the 'good guy with a gun' was acting defensively. He was off site of the actual shooting, and thus in a position to use his gun OFFENSIVELY. The shooter was wearing tactical body armor and ultimately took his own life. If people really want to protect themselves they will follow the example of a growing number of shooters and wear Kevlar to work, or church, or play. THAT is how you protect yourself from gun violence in 2017. Carrying a gun makes sense only if you intend to preemptively shoot someone, preferably someone unarmed, with it.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh geez, 330 give or take million people. The number of times MOST of us have ever experienced something negative with firearms would be zero.
Just saying... the UK has one fifth our population. Using your math ~5,000 gun deaths/year would be 'acceptable'. Hmmm... in a bad year in the UK they might have ~9 such deaths. If you set a bar high enough...

Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Just saying... the UK has one fifth our population. Using your math ~5,000 gun deaths/year would be 'acceptable'. Hmmm... in a bad year in the UK they might have ~9 such deaths. If you set a bar high enough...
So move to the U.K., handgun hater.

Problem>solution.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:51 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Why does how someone gets murdered matter? Are they less dead from a blunt object or knife? They killed themselves by an OD of vicadin and booze vs a gun? I see these data stats all the time, one column goes down, the other goes up from whatever action.

Just sayin...avoidable mortality

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...dandwales/2015

Old 12-01-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Wrong. In all the recent high profile mass shootings there were a few to several people with guns on the defensive side and they were mowed down with all the rest. In the ONE hailed situation in Texas it cannot be fairly said that the 'good guy with a gun' was acting defensively. He was off site of the actual shooting, and thus in a position to use his gun OFFENSIVELY. The shooter was wearing tactical body armor and ultimately took his own life. If people really want to protect themselves they will follow the example of a growing number of shooters and wear Kevlar to work, or church, or play. THAT is how you protect yourself from gun violence in 2017. Carrying a gun makes sense only if you intend to preemptively shoot someone, preferably someone unarmed, with it.
really? high profile mass shooting in vegas, how many guns were in the crowd? and how many were hand guns? and how many of those hand guns would reach out to 600 yards or more? and where were the guns on the side of good at sandy hook? columbine? or most any of the other shootings? even in the texas shooting there were no guns in the church crowd.

so again tell me where all the good guys with guns were at these shootings?

Old 12-01-2017, 12:31 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as long as its properly posted according to state law i dont see the issue, and i am a solid supporter of the second amendment.
TRANSLATION: I support government having the power to decide when and where its subjects can own and carry a gun. Therefore, I oppose the 2nd amendment to the core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies