Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think they will criminalize it, and it won't have much affect on how people vote since the issue is so far down the priority list. Bigger issues will decide how people vote.
Not sure what you mean by criminalize it - marijuana is already criminal under federal law.

The feds have their laws and the states have theirs. All that the state laws mean is that, if you obey them, the state won't prosecute you. Obeying the state law does not make you immune from federal prosecution. It's always been this way. And this is true in arenas of law enforcement other than drug enforcement, which is why there are times when a local prosecutor decides to defer to federal law enforcement, and there are times when a federal prosecutor defers to local law enforcement. And of course there are times when a truly bad actor is charged and tried under both federal and state laws. When they've done serving their state time, they get released to the feds to start doing federal time. I truly don't think that you could find a lot of prosecutors willing to give that option up for the sake of prosecuting small-time marijuana users.

I think even (or especially?) a conservative SCOTUS would have a hard time supporting the idea that Congress could override all those state laws and force the states to enforce federal law. It would be a dicey precedent for them to set. The times where they have been willing to say that federal law overrides state law have been in matters of BoR issues. And I don't think that, legally, this is a BoR issue. (I know there are those who disagree with me about this, but I just don't think you can legally construe any of the BoR to allow for marijuana use.)

Assuming Congress would vote to override state marijuana laws, which I believe they couldn't, because they wouldn't be able to round up the votes. Do McConnell and Ryan think this is an issue where they must enforce party discipline? I kinda doubt it.

And while I agree that marijuana is not the single deciding factor in how most people vote, it certainly is a factor. If two (or more) candidates are running for a nomination, voters are increasingly likely to vote for the one who is more libertarian on this issue, whether we're talking about registered Ds or Rs. And that makes a difference where it counts - in Congress. Sessions only does what Congress allows him to do, and the whole point of my post is that he has been constrained this past year by Congress.

Here's something you might want to listen to - Trey Gowdy questioning why marijuana should be a Schedule I drug. https://hooktube.com/watch?v=HIeYd1NDFj4 Whatever you think about Gowdy, I doubt you would see him as a slacker when it comes to law and order. The point is that there was never any good evidence to treat marijuana as federal law now treats it.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-10-2017 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 12:09 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Looks like Sessions is in the pocket of the drug cartels.

It is amazing to me how much power and influence the cartels have in our Govt, they have DEA and other LE agencies all working to benefit their business, they even had enough power to steal away all the opioid customers and all the profits from the pharma industry...WOW!!

Old 12-10-2017, 12:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Not sure what you mean by criminalize it - marijuana is already criminal under federal law.
I mean they will start enforcing the law in the States which have legalized it. That is what they said they would do, so why would they not do it? I think they will only crack down on the recreational pot, not medical.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
That may be, but the Puritan bible-thumping nut cases are still the ones these so-called "moderate" conservtives are voting into office. So as far as I'm concerned, they're all one and the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I don't care whether the opposition is a Bible-thumping Fundamentalist or a dinosaur who still believes in the New Deal; both are authoritarians seeking to impose their personal beliefs on all of us. Like Marxists and Nazis, they're both the fruit of a poisonous plant.
Medical marijuana meets hostility from Obama administration

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.f2e15c911443

Old 12-10-2017, 12:21 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump's base will love this, even though a majority of Americans won't. Most conservatives, especially the older generation, view marijuana as sinful against God and as a detriment to the moral fabric of society. Therefore, we must crack down on it, forcing states that have legalized it to criminalize it again and increasing the penalty and enforcement of the laws against it.

You don't have to be a Trump supporter, to favor this plan. You have presented an excellent compilation, of why the decent citizens of this country enacted the prohibition of this noxious weed, in the first place. I'll save this for future reference. Maybe, even a grubby little low-life like Beauregard III, could perform one useful function, before he's booted from office?

Old 12-10-2017, 12:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
I mean they will start enforcing the law in the States which have legalized it. That is what they said they would do, so why would they not do it? I think they will only crack down on the recreational pot, not medical.
I agree, that is what Sessions will do when the Rohrabacher-Blumenauer amendment is finally allowed to expire - unless Trump reins him in, or if Congress doesn't take further action. Which, obviously, I would like Congress to do.

And now we're back full circle - is this a fight that the Trump administration should pick? Of course they can - but should they?

Old 12-10-2017, 12:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Your State is where a lot of medical pot is grown.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:31 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Your State is where a lot of medical pot is grown.
I did not know that. I have read the non-intoxicating strains help with seizures, which is why I am ok with such strains. I am also ok with decriminalizing recreational use to a point where the users get only a ticket for possession. There is no reason to put pot heads in jails and prisons for it.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:41 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Trump's base will love this, even though a majority of Americans won't. Most conservatives, especially the older generation, view marijuana as sinful against God and as a detriment to the moral fabric of society. Therefore, we must crack down on it, forcing states that have legalized it to criminalize it again and increasing the penalty and enforcement of the laws against it.
I wonder about the older generation view.

When I was in college (at 2 major southern universities), you could easily find whatever you wanted. This was around 1970. Everyone I knew tried marijuana and a few a lot more than that. And no one gave it a second thought. My personal preference was beer and other alcoholic drinks but even I smoked pot several times in those days.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:45 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

Yet curiously, they have no problem with sexual harassment/abuse. Funny how they think they need 'protect' individuals from themselves yet have no concern for victims of predators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies