Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:54 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times

Advertisements

this is why weapon ownership should continue to be a right,because there are bad people out there and cops can't always protect you.

Calif. woman slain on the phone with 911 - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 12:13 PM

23,849 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Can't wait for the anti-gunners to chime in on this one...

...or maybe they'll ignore it, like they usually do when something doesn't fit their Shangri-la view of how the world should work...

I'm sure that if they had only passed more gun control laws yesterday, this wouldn't have happened. No doubt the murderer would have turned in his gun and brought her a bouquet of roses, instead...

Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
this is why weapon ownership should continue to be a right,because there are bad people out there and cops can't always protect you.

Calif. woman slain on the phone with 911 - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Not only can they not always protect.. Legally, cops can stand there and allow the attack to happen without facing legal repercussions. A cops legal duty is to arrest an individual after the attack, not to stop attacks from taking place.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:19 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
I used to be a 911 operator/police dispatcher. People get hurt by a lot of things, not just guns.

Try talking to a 7 yr old boy on the phone, who is wondering what to feed his infant brother, because his mother told him it was his responsibility to take care of the baby, and there's no food left for the baby in the house, and the baby is crying because he's hungry and his momma has been in bed and hasn't moved for two days and he can't wake her up and why is her face turning all black? (Mom overdosed and died two days before)

Try taking a call from the young woman whose father locked himself in the bathroom, and has cut his wrists open with a knife, so deeply that the blood is flowing out from under the locked door.

Or from the woman who is being held hostage by a vicious boyfriend in her own car at knife-point, who is screaming that he is going to cut her throat and then crash the vehicle.

Guns are not the cause of violence, PEOPLE are.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:29 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
There is nothing in the story to indicate that in fact the woman did not have a firearm available to defend herself. Sadly, the very same thing would happen to my wife because she just doesn't have it within her to pull the trigger even to save herself. I know she won't even though we have firearms placed safely and discreetly throughout the house and have talked about various scenarios and what to do when they come about, for years.

Many people have had it beat into their heads for so so long that you should not rise up and defend yourself, leave your personal protection to the "authorities" and you will be taken care of Your personal security is up to you and you alone. I really wish I would have been able to read this story the other way around.....a woman saved her life and sent some seriously worthless human debris to a permanent dirtnap.

Prayers to the family and hope they grab those involved quickly.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:35 PM

23,849 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
I really wish I would have been able to read this story the other way around.....a woman saved her life and sent some seriously worthless human debris to a permanent dirtnap.
If it had turned out that way, you wouldn't have heard about it at all - that scenario doesn't fit the MSM's anti-gun agenda.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
That is why if anyone ever breaks into my house, I will shoot first and ask questions second. Forget about ADT, my home is secured by Smith & Wesson. Here burglar burglar...

Old 03-20-2008, 12:51 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Cop on the phone is never as good as a gun in your hand.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:57 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
That is why if anyone ever breaks into my house, I will shoot first and ask questions second. Forget about ADT, my home is secured by Smith & Wesson. Here burglar burglar...
True,though awareness if you live with people should be considered also.There was a incident where a daughter told dad she was spending the night at a friends,she came home early in the middle of the night,made noise,her father thinking she wasn't there thought it must be a intruder and he shot and killed her.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I don't know if it would have made a difference or not, but why did this woman choose to call her husband BEFORE calling 911? If she was on the phone with her husband for even a minute, that is a minute earlier that the police could have responded with sirens blaring, and it might have "spooked" the burglar BEFORE she was gunned down. I also noticed that this crime occurred in an affluent suburb; crime happens everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies