Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not an assumption and should be common sense that people with guns are going to take advantage of this, many of the guns they buy back are junk or worthless. The ones they do buy back that may have value or usable are often not associated with crime to begin with. People aren't turning in 9MM Glocks.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1403522/

It's just a feel good program wasting tax dollar dollars.
See, it's possible to make an arguable point without simply making things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 11:32 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Often wondered if you went to one of these buy/trade back events with a pile of money and a sign that says you'll pay more . What would happen????
That would be legal in St Louis. Nothing they could do about it.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:32 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is a good idea for the folks that have a gun for one reason or another working or not laying around to turn it in.

I know if I was ever held up I wouldn't ask the criminal if the gun actually worked or even if it is loaded. A gun is a gun and can be a scary thing in the hands of an angry someone that is pointing it at you.
As I mentioned in a previous post, most, if not all the people who sell their guns in those buy-back programs are not the type who will most likely commit a crime, so I can't imagine an 80-year-old woman with her deceased husband's hunting bolt-action rifle walking up to you to rob you.

Gun enthusiasts like myself know better than to sell their valuable weapons for dirt cheap in those buy-back programs.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If they gave you $9000 for it that would also be an outrageous price. That doesn't mean you are going to get that price..
They were offering $150. That would be an outrageous offer for a gun worth maybe $25.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:39 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
See, it's possible to make an arguable point without simply making things up.
If our insulted me with a 100 dollar bill for a Glock I'd tell you where to go and how to get there. But 100 for a rusty crusty revolver with a broken spring. Cracked/missing grips. A cheap hi point with a fail to feed fail to extract or excessive head space? Sold.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
If our insulted me with a 100 dollar bill for a Glock I'd tell you where to go and how to get there. But 100 for a rusty crusty revolver with a broken spring. Cracked/missing grips. A cheap hi point with a fail to feed fail to extract or excessive head space? Sold.
How about an RS. That is the one I was posting about. I think they sold for $65 new in the 1960s. Have seen them go unsold on Gunbrokers for $25.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:58 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
St Louis Mayor: Give us your guns, we'll give you groceries.

Similar schemes that have been tried in other cities, including those that paid cash for guns, were a waste of tax payer Dollars. In most cases the guns that were turned in were those that didn't work. Do they really expect career criminals to turn in their guns? I doubt it.

Groceries For Guns

St. Louis mayor: Give us your guns, we'll give you groceries | On Air Videos | Fox News

I got a couple of scrap pipes around here and a used shotgun shell someplace....

Should be worth a few pounds of Ribeyes!

Old 12-15-2017, 12:05 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
That would be legal in St Louis. Nothing they could do about it.
That's what I think too. Never know what you can end up with!!!!

https://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...247692151.html

Old 12-15-2017, 12:06 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default Proverb reversed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
St Louis Mayor: Give us your guns, we'll give you groceries.

Similar schemes that have been tried in other cities, including those that paid cash for guns, were a waste of tax payer Dollars. In most cases the guns that were turned in were those that didn't work. Do they really expect career criminals to turn in their guns? I doubt it.

Groceries For Guns

St. Louis mayor: Give us your guns, we'll give you groceries | On Air Videos | Fox News

Perversion of the proverb that says it is more useful to teach a man to fish rather than feed him

Give us your fish hooks and we will feed you for a day.

So much for teaching a man to fish vs giving him a fish

Old 12-15-2017, 12:22 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It's still more guns off the streets, which is a good thing in the eyes of people who, you know, actually value human life more than their stupid arsenals. I wouldn't expect everyone to understand that. Too many people are willing to vote away their jobs, healthcare, wealth, and freedom just to protect their hoarder-level gun collection - a pile of weapons that won't do you a damn bit of good in the end.

Just remember - based on how they vote, too many "gun owners" are actually owned BY their guns.
The usual hysterical ranting from the usual paranoid leftist, backed by zero fact or reference.

(yawn)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies