Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:46 PM

856 posts, read 705,352 times

Advertisements

The GOP tax bill makes a few minor changes to the tax code, but let's be real here. Any tax on earnings is theft. We should abolish the income tax and all taxes on earnings and instead tax consumption.

Ideally, we should pass the fair tax, legislation that would abolish taxes on earnings and replace them with a 23% tax on new goods and services above the poverty level. Information on this proposal can be found here:https://fairtax.org/about/how-fairta...hoC2MYQAvD_BwE or in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUxBJ7n0T8U

Think I'm crazy for saying taxation is theft? I'm not alone:

Quote:
We look at the results of taxation, the symptoms, to see whether and how the principle of private property is violated. For further evidence, we examine its technique, and just as we suspect the intent of robbery in the possession of effective tools, so we find in the technique of taxation a telltale story. The burden of this intransigent critique of taxation, then, will be to prove the immorality of it by its consequences and its methods.
https://mises.org/library/taxation-robbery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGWNg-pCiSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t--TxXzEsGA

Quote:
America’s founders rejected the income tax entirely, but when they spoke of taxes they recognized the need for uniformity and equal protection to all citizens. “[A]ll duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States,” reads the U.S. Constitution. And 80 years later, in the same spirit, the Fourteenth Amendment promised “equal protection of the laws” to all citizens.

In other words, the principle behind the progressive income tax—the more you earn, the larger the percentage of tax you must pay—would have been appalling to the founders. They recognized that, in James Madison’s words, “the spirit of party and faction” would prevail if Congress could tax one group of citizens and confer the benefits on another group.
Tenth Amendment Center | The Founders’ View vs. the Progressive Income Tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 09:55 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Why is a tax on consumption not theft?

Old 12-16-2017, 10:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times

Repeal the 16th Amendment and you free the people.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
Repeal the 16th Amendment and you free the people.
i want to tax births

$10,000 for each child born to a single parent family (paid by both biologic parents/grandparents if parents are unable to pay)
$5,000 for children born to poor parents
$5,000 taxed for being uneducated parents (no GED/high school diploma)

Old 12-16-2017, 11:25 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Right wingers seem to be getting more un-hinged by the day.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Let's abolish taxes but jack up military spending 5x... yeah, ok you brainiacs.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why is a tax on consumption not theft?
Why do people post things, get follow up questions and then dissapear?

Old 12-17-2017, 04:58 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Right wingers seem to be getting more un-hinged by the day.
LOL yeah... as a moderate I have to roll my eyes at the anarchist types. Personally I like my cushy home, nice roads, schools, police protection, national parks, etc.

Let's theorize here.. let's say instead of a debt based currency we had a credit based currency, and let's say the government simply created the money it needed to build roads and schools and spent it directly into the system, debt free. Nobody had to pay any taxes. The price the public would pay for that would in theory be inflation of the money supply, so either way you're paying. Also that leaves the door open for corruption if anybody can just create any amount of money out of thin air that they want. Perhaps that's why debt based banking was created in the first place, to encourage fiscal responsibility? Still I think it would be an interesting idea to try in some country.. get rid of the fractional reserve debt based central bank and experiment a little and see what happens.

Not gonna happen.. the entire world's credit system operates the same way so the point is moot. You know, everyone says low interest rates cause inflation, but looking at a chart of the inflation rate vs the fed funds rate, it seems like a high fed funds rate actually causes inflation. I don't know if we could try that high interest rate experiment with the high debt levels we have now. That would also be interesting to try to "see what happens."

Last edited by sholomar; 12-17-2017 at 05:07 AM..

Old 12-17-2017, 05:05 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,106,004 times
Taxation is the price of civilization. You don’t like it, move to Somalia.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:09 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,952,233 times
I've been rooting for the Fair Tax for years, but I don't ever see it happening. In all the talk about the latest "tax reform" it wasn't mentioned once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies