Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:47 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I love movies like All the President's Men and Spotlight, so of course I'll be seeing this one plus I like Hanks and Spielberg.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. Gonna go see it several times. I’ll buy the Blueray and order it on Amazon when it’s available there.

On top of that, I just finished reading Daniel Ellsberg’s book Secrets. I’m going all in.

I plan to do all I can to spread the word about this movie, and how it intentionally draws parallels from Nixon’s attacks on the free press to Trump’s present attempts to do the same.

Me too!

Old 12-23-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Looks like an excellent movie, Spielberg always does a great job and great actors with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks. This will cover the Pentagon Papers and Daniel Ellsberg also recently in Ken Burns series Vietnam. Great newspaper with tremendous history.

ABSOLUTELY!

Old 12-23-2017, 04:17 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
It will be in the five dollar movie bin at the supermarket within 6 months

Old 12-23-2017, 07:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
And you’ll feel gypped because you spent about $25 bucks seeing it at the theatre after buying popcorn and drinks.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:18 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
LOL, those have been gone for about 5 years,way to keep up.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
To reporters? Sure.
Yeah, Woodward and Bernstein did this country an horrible injustice, lemme tell ya.
Quote:
So people with no education to speak of -- people who, if they studied anything at all, majored in journalism, film, or theater -- that is to say, reporters, Hollywood actors, Hollywood directors -- are going to enlighten me?

Mm. I don't think so.

If I want to be enlightened, I read good books.

History, philosophy, literature. Art, music, science.

I seek out both sides in various controversies.

I don't need Stephen Spielberg and Meryl Streep to clue me in to, well, really, anything.

I don't need journalists -- who are told what to write -- to mis-inform me.

Other than taking a casual interest in finding out what noise is being made at the moment, I pay them no attention.

I don't need to see movies that, again, must satisfy lowest-common-denominator consumer tastes and politically acceptable messaging (by Hollywood and New York standards) to inform me of anything other than what the lie du jour happens to be.

That lie will, in most cases, be what the lie has been for the last twenty, thirty, forty, who knows how many years.

Been there, done that.
You don’t need journalists, but you read books?

*SIGH*
Quote:
I liked it.

I just didn't like the lead over-actors.

At one point, Streep made me think of a wet sponge.

You wanted to wring her out, but drop a pan on the floor first.

And then there was James Woods. I won't even comment on him.

The most ludicrous scene is where two prisoners are hung by their hands, which are tied behind their backs, in such a way that if it were really happening, their shoulders would be dislocated, and they would be in terrible agony.

So there they are, suspended next to each other, and they're chit chatting with each other.

Typical Hollywood crap.
Seriously man, you right wingers are trying too hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
A typical 'don't think for yourself, you have to think the way that I do' response...locksteplockstep

Uhhhhp...there you guys go trying too hard again! SMH

Old 12-23-2017, 07:58 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Does the OP know the movie they're talking about is non-fiction? How could a film be "propaganda" if it's based entirely on a true story?

LMAO

Old 12-23-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Does the OP know the movie they're talking about is non-fiction? How could a film be "propaganda" if it's based entirely on a true story?

LMAO
That’s what conservatives hate the most.

The protagonist, Daniel Ellsberg is still very much alive and kicking!! And of course he’ll be going around talking about how those times have such a remarkable resemblance to THESE times...with a president that routinely attacks the Free Press.

It makes Republicans cringe.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:39 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
The timing is suspicious
The timing isn't suspicious. Spielberg said this was the only year to make the movie:
"STEVEN SPIELBERG:

When I finished Liz's script, I thought this was an idea that felt more like 2017 than 1971 — I could not believe the similarities between today and what happened with the Nixon administration against their avowed enemies The New York Times and The Washington Post. I realized this was the only year to make this film."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...scared-1064361

Maybe the film will be a lesson for today's WaPo and NYTimes of when being sure what you publish is legit mattered more than being first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies