Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:22 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times

Advertisements

There is a Santa Claus. Ask Virginia.

http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:25 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Lol, I think my kids are pretending for my sake, because they know how much fun it is for me
Yeah, our kids were the ones who told Mrs. NBP and I that Santa wasn't real. She cried and I went into hiding, we were so devastated.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:27 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I'll bet you the best steak house dinner that the teacher was your typically leftwing hating feminist.

Mother outraged after teacher tells students Santa isn’t real | myfox8.com
You and I don't see eye to eye that often, but there are boundaries that people only cross when the hate is encouraged by the cultures that they come from.
In this case destroying one of the magical myths that children cherish and pass down to their children.

Merry Christmas Fordtrucks and happy New Year.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 12-21-2017 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 09:29 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I agree. Should have never been in the classroom to begin with.

The Elf on a Shelf thing has gotten totally out of hand.
One of my grand-daughter's caused a stir among some of the kids at school when she brought hers to school right after Thanksgiving.
Apparently the emergence of an Elf on the Shelf before the appointed time, whatever that is, is a big no-no.
It's all just too ridiculous.
It's creepy as hell, too. As a kid who didn't grow up with a concept of Santa, the whole Santa mythos (he's always watching you, your behavior for the year is reflected in a single gift that represents your parent' socioeconomic class) gave me the uh oh feeling. Now with Elf on the Shelf, it's gone next level.

My brother and SIL sent out a warning to the family: any gifts of Elf on the Shelf would be pitched into the fire. My boss used to get really into it with her kids, but at some point there's just no creativity left. The amount of stress I've seen it put on families (they MUST move the elf overnight or else their darling baby will KNOW) is just ridiculous.

But yes... I wonder if any of the parents complaining also complained about how there was a classroom Elf on the Shelf further pushing the commercialization of the holiday? Bueller, Bueller?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:33 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
I guess conservatives are so upset by this and so quick to point fingers because their day to day existence is fueled by an active fantasy life:

Science is "fake news" - especially evolutionary science and climate science.

Mexico will pay for the wall.

A billionaire actually wants to help "the people" with no strings attached.

The middle and working class will actually see benefits now that the upper 1% and international corporations have gotten a massive shower of gold thanks to "tax reforms."

Corollary to the above: Santa is real and now lives in the White House where he is going to make everyone all happy again by telling all these lies and many more. Adults should be protected from the truth the same way third graders should be.

Happy solstice and Merry Christmas to ALL!

Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Sounds like good teaching to me.
are you serious and do you have any kids? Teachers have no place pushing personal views on anyone or even letting their students know what their views and to tell an 8 year old that something so special and fun is a myth is sick. I do not want teachers teaching religion, sex education (except in certain classes) homosexual subjects, or giving advise on stories like Santa Claus is real Virginia. These should always be left to the parents. What harm is there in an 8 year old believing a magical story about a wonderful man that brings us gifts once a year.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:09 AM

26,582 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Lol, I think my kids are pretending for my sake, .....
when my daughter was in 1st grade she burst into my office and declared " i know you're santa!".

"really, " i answered, a little dismissively "how do you know that?"

"because you and santa use the same pen!"

that year i had written a "thank you for the cookies" note. i used a dramatically different style of penmanship to disguise my usual very distinctive writing style but...... i wrote it in black fine-tip sharpie, a pen i always keep on me. while not the most uncommon pen in the world i was still proud of her for that great piece of deduction.

i neither confirmed or denied on that incident ( i think i literally answered "i don't recall, senator " ) and she remained on the fence till 4th grade when we had the "santa secret" talk.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oh for heaven's sake.

Those third graders already know. Regardless of what their parents fool themselves into believing about their children.

I was disillusioned of the Santa idea when I was in first grade - by all the other kids on the school bus. This would have occurred about 1953, and absolutely none of those kids were a "...typically leftwing hating feminist..."
sorry, there are many kids who do not, at 8 years know that he is a myth. Now, if you are talking 12 year olds that is different. Ask your own kids if you have them when they figure out Santa was just a fat guy dressed up in red and white? Yes, most kids by second grade have figured out the truth and yes, most of us let our parents think we believed for a year or so than we did, but there are still 3rd graders that do believe. Even if they didn't this is not a teachers place.

Wrecking ball: cute story, my little brother figured out something similar when he was about 7 or 8: he simply announced to my mom: I know you wrap all Santa's gift yourself, or else he writes just like you. Of course my mom did tell him at that point Santa is the spirit of Christmas.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:13 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
I'll bet you the best steak house dinner that the teacher was your typically leftwing hating feminist.

Mother outraged after teacher tells students Santa isn’t real | myfox8.com
Na she did the right thing the past needs to die so a greater future can be constructed

Old 12-21-2017, 10:13 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Was A Teacher Out Of Line To Tell 3rd Graders That Santa Is Not Real
Well, he ISN'T real anymore, right? He's been out of office nearly a year now. I'm sure she has stopped singing the Mr. Obama praise song with her students each morning as well. Those fidget spinners are probably getting about worn out by now, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies