Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
How are the statues hurting anyone? If you don't like them, don't look, but don't ban everything just because some overly sensitive jerk may be "offended". Get a freakin LIFE! I know its hard, because progressives like to DICTATE to others, but seriously, maybe read a book or something.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 07:26 PM

716 posts, read 393,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
...It was not a problem for 152 years. It all started in 2015, with your precious Jug-Ears Chicago Jesus leading the charge. But seeing as to how I'm the Civil War buff here who doesn't bend over to SJW posturing and the far leftists who enable them, no thank you, more likely I know far more than you. Since many of these statues were built from 1890-1920 which is also consequently when many Civil War veterans were starting to die off...
Let us not forget that many of these statues were built from 1890-1920 which is also coincidentally the era when the KKK was most active and more blacks were lynched than in any other period. Defending offensive and immoral customs and practices because it was not a problem for XXX number of years, is a lame excuse. Maybe it would help if civil war buffs studied a little more about other periods of our history?

It's the nature of conservatives to hang onto old times and customs, they find it gut-wrenching and are always the very last of any given group of Americans to accept changing customs and standards of civilized conduct. It's a primary cause of the gulf between liberals and conservatives.

Tens of thousands of people were burned for over 300 years. When we began to learn and realize our mistake, who do you think was defending the practice of witch burning by saying that, "it was not a problem for 300 years"? Liberals or conservatives?

When women were fighting for their suffrage and had convinced the majority of Americans that they should have a voice, who do you think was fighting the notion by saying that, "it was not a problem for 144 years"? Liberals or conservatives?

Tens of thousands of blacks were treated like sh_t, kept out of or forced to use the back door of white owned businesses for decades. When our civil rights movement swept across our country, who used attack dogs and fire hoses in their attempt to keep blacks down, saying that, "it was not a problem for 187 years"? liberals or conservatives?

Most of the 'civil war buffs' I've run into were conservatives. I don't doubt they're sincere and have convinced themselves that the war had absolutely had nothing to do with slavery. Common sense and the southern states official proclamations be damned.

Maybe if they offered to remove these statues from our public places it could be a start to close the gulf between blacks and conservatives? It wouldn't cost them anything, or how about spending a little and offering to erect statues of slaves next to the existing statues commemorating the millions of slaves killed and held in bondage for hundreds of years? Baby step gestures like that might go a long way to move the more conservative blacks into the Republican camp.

How many conservative posts have we all read where they b_tch and moan about blacks voting as a block or their claim that the Dems have 'brainwashed' them? Could they ever get to a place where they might look inward and consider that taking positions like not removing statues might be a factor?

Realistically, I know other than giving them lip service, it'll never happen. In the same way conservatives don't care how buffoonish Trump looks on the world stage or how backward it makes America look to the rest of the world, they couldn't careless about what blacks think about them...

Old 01-03-2018, 07:27 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,899 times
Quote:
How are the statues hurting anyone? If you don't like them, don't look, but don't ban everything just because some overly sensitive jerk may be "offended". Get a freakin LIFE! I know its hard, because progressives like to DICTATE to others, but seriously, maybe read a book or something.
This explains why Trump's approval rating does not get any lower than 32%. His supporters and are too simple minded. How do people go about their daily lives, as you suggest, not looking at statues all around them? Come on, you can't be that dense. Furthermore, blacks weren't permitted to have any say in statues being erected. Things are slowly changing now with laws and time.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Wow, really?

This isnt about traitors, this is about history but keep throwing stupid dramatic hyperbole in there to suit your silly narrative
When should the Nat Turner statues go up across the South?

Old 01-04-2018, 06:38 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I believe the UDC organization is generally given credit for the Confederate statues. Maybe the NAACP and BLM could take on the task.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:42 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Wow, really?

This isnt about traitors, this is about history but keep throwing stupid dramatic hyperbole in there to suit your silly narrative
Yes in the Jim Crow era they were put up to remind black folks of there place. Its not hyperbole its a fact I get it though they probably didn't teach you that in whatever southern school you attended.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:53 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Or John Brown statues. He led a slave revolt at Harper's Ferry.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yes in the Jim Crow era they were put up to remind black folks of there place. Its not hyperbole its a fact I get it though they probably didn't teach you that in whatever southern school you attended.
Jim Crow, the Confederate statues, it was all the same thing of the post-Reconstruction era South. With the resentment towards Blacks in that era, it was about restoring what many believed was the "proper" social order, the racial hierarchy.

The history of the Confederate statues was something never taught to me in school. It was never even discussed. The Civil War was discussed. However, it was discussed in an awkward way. I live in the South (in Georgia). The school I went to, the Confederate flag subject was a sore spot for many. Racial tensions went up in my school (particularly around 2001-2002). It was not good.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:35 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post

How embarrassing for you when trying to poke fun at my education

Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:

How embarrassing for you when trying to poke fun at my education
Well, just because it's embarrassing doesn't mean it isn't a lie. I know the education I got wasn't enough. I learned more about the Civil War (and the Confederate cause) on my own than from my high school teachers in the early 2000s. What I know about comes from what I've looked up myself and read. This is why I find the Confederate cause to be a deplorable, ugly cause. I didn't pull this out of my posterior. I looked this stuff up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies