Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 10:29 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm in Idaho and yes we are growing quickly (percentage wise anyway). Fortunately from what I've seen-most Californians (and yes they are the bulk of the recent immigrants) are not bringing liberalism with them-they are refugees seeking to escape the liberal hell. Many are more adamant about despising what CA has become than long-term residents are, and are determined to avoid those mistakes. As a NYS refugee a couple decades ago, I share that sentiment. The people leaving CA to a large extent are those that work for a living, contribute to society, value work and success. In short-NOT liberals. CA is getting more and more liberal as the thinking, sensible people of the state are driven out-often taking their businesses with them.

On a side note-we are also down to 2.9% unemployment-vs 4.6 in CA and 4.8% in NY.
Here is one question. Where are many of those Californians moving to within Idaho?

On that side note, I live in Georgia. Conservative state, unemployment rate of 4.3 percent. Mississippi is at 4.9 percent. Louisiana, a fellow conservative state, is at 4.8 percent unemployment rate. Kentucky, which also conservative, is at 5 percent.

Seems like many places in the South are suffering.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:31 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
First of all, not many people retire to Texas.

Second, if I were a tax payer, I would leave NY.

Having left one state because of the high taxes, I'm not going to vote for Democrats hoping they will raise taxes in my new state.
The major cities are where the high paying jobs are. My daughter's best friend graduated from Vanderbilt law school. Her starting pay was over $200,000 in new york. If she had taken a job in the south her pay would be a fourth of that if even that.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:43 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is one question. Where are many of those Californians moving to within Idaho?

On that side note, I live in Georgia. Conservative state, unemployment rate of 4.3 percent. Mississippi is at 4.9 percent. Louisiana, a fellow conservative state, is at 4.8 percent unemployment rate. Kentucky, which also conservative, is at 5 percent.

Actually both you and Toyman are basing your discussion on unemployment rates which are bogus. The reality is that those unemployment rates are far higher than reported since those numbers are based on unemployment claims only, that leaves out those working for cash and cannot apply for benefits, those that have taken early retirement due to lack of employment, students out of work remaining at home, those forced to work several low paying jobs because well paying jobs are a rarity these days, and those that have given up and now live on welfare and other government programs. Texas reports a 3.9% unemployment rate and anyone with half a brain knows this number is far too low to reflect the reality across the State.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:02 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

There are a lot in my area (northern Idaho-Coeur d'Alene/Sandpoint). The Coeur d'Alene area is growing especially rapidly, growing by~2.5x since I moved here in '94-if I recall the population signs from when I moved in. Lots of growth, development, new businesses and job growth. Unfortunately, also traffic and rising housing costs. I think the Boise area and most other modest sized metro areas in the state are also seeing similar growth.

My brother is in Alabama-some pretty areas, good job growth at 3.5% UE (esp manufacturing), reasonable housing prices and taxes. I'm sort of considering moving-but don't think I could stand the heat and humidity. Flip side-the motorcycling season is a whole lot longer. But I'd sure miss the mountains and national forests we have around here.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:38 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The major cities are where the high paying jobs are. My daughter's best friend graduated from Vanderbilt law school. Her starting pay was over $200,000 in new york. If she had taken a job in the south her pay would be a fourth of that if even that.
You bring up an interesting point.

The major cities are almost always where the best paying jobs are. And you are much more likely to be involved in the most challenging aspects within your field. Not to speak of working with the very best, that is an invaluable experience.

I could never have moved to some place like Idaho or Kentucky or similar simply because the work that I did does not exist there. I suppose that I could have sold my house, moved to Georgia and got a job as a greeter at Walmart (or something like that). Sure, it would have been a cheaper place to live but the 90% cut in pay would have certainly ruled that out. As well as the lack of professional growth.

Last edited by Weichert; 12-23-2017 at 12:46 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 01:51 AM

272 posts, read 134,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So she made close to a quarter of a million dollars in a law firm in her starting pay right out of college? That is a pretty great job to get right out of college and its not typical for anyone leaving school with a law degree.

Lawyers deserve every penny, lol, but thats much better higher starting pay right out of college than many. I can tell you as an engineer in aerospace that people dont make anything like that right out of college but people are moving south because its where corporations are. Few people , even in in silicon valley make anything like that right out of college, the starting salaries for many electrical, aerospace, and petroleum engineering jobs in places like texas are higher than silicon valley computer engineer starting salaries, but not many makes 200,000 right out of college .

So where do you get the numbers for pay being a 1/4 of that or lower for lawyer in a place like nashville? The average pay for a lawyer in Nashville is in the six figures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You bring up an interesting point.

The major cities are almost always where the best paying jobs are. And you are much more likely to be involved in the most challenging aspects within your field. Not to speak of working with the very best, that is an invaluable experience.

I could never have moved to some place like Idaho or Kentucky or similar simply because the work that I did does not exist there. I suppose that I could have sold my house, moved to Georgia and got a job as a greeter at Walmart (or something like that). Sure, it would have been a cheaper place to live but the 90% cut in pay would have certainly ruled that out. As well as the lack of professional growth.
What is your education level that you would be a greeter at wal mart? The south is increasingly the center of the aerospace industry, the auto industry , the energy sector, not to mention the region with the highest number of fortune 500 companies. 6 of the top 10 rated cities for engineers are in the south

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryn.../#4a3300522a63

What work did you do?

Last edited by floridapilot; 12-23-2017 at 02:48 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 03:57 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
You are aware that someone crossing state lines does not mean they change their political beliefs. A liberal from New York retiring in Florida is now simply a liberal in Florida.

All the Puerto Ricans moving to Florida after the hurricane are not likely to favor the current administration.
LOL, now you've done it.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:28 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm in Idaho and yes we are growing quickly (percentage wise anyway). Fortunately from what I've seen-most Californians (and yes they are the bulk of the recent immigrants) are not bringing liberalism with them-they are refugees seeking to escape the liberal hell. Many are more adamant about despising what CA has become than long-term residents are, and are determined to avoid those mistakes. As a NYS refugee a couple decades ago, I share that sentiment. The people leaving CA to a large extent are those that work for a living, contribute to society, value work and success. In short-NOT liberals. CA is getting more and more liberal as the thinking, sensible people of the state are driven out-often taking their businesses with them.

On a side note-we are also down to 2.9% unemployment-vs 4.6 in CA and 4.8% in NY.
My parents moved to Couer d' Alene in 1993 from California. They were pretty much apolitical but certainly not liberal. My comment was more sarcastic then anything else. A lefty is much less likely to move to a strongly red state. I would assume the opposite is also true. There are reasons red states are gaining population so fast. The are usually better run and less intrusive on their citizens. Look at Illinois.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:39 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
The choice was made by the democrats to support illegals before Americans. The red States are getting more red and the blue states are pandering to illegals. This is why the blue states are losing residents. Americans are moving out of high property tax areas because the cost of living is too high to stay. Those liberal run cities are attracting more illegal takers. NJ is one of them.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:51 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
Most red states being in the sun belt plays a large role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies