Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 07:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

You know, THIS is what people need to understand about success: It's EARNED. It takes a lot of planning, commitment, and hard work. At any level. Anyone who thinks the trades are easy needs to get a clue. Think about that the next time you have to call a mechanic, an electrician, a plumber, or for HVAC repair.
Right? If it was easy I wouldn't have to pay someone else to do it for me, since I'd be able to figure it out myself!

Old 12-28-2017, 07:31 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Do you know exactly how many gender or ethnic studies degrees were awarded out of the 1,894,934 bachelor's degrees conferred in 2015?

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/...t16_322.10.asp

That's 0.4% of all bachelor's degrees conferred.

They make up even less, 0.2%, of all master's degrees awarded.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/...t16_323.10.asp

And 0.1% of all doctorates and professional degrees awarded.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/...t16_324.10.asp

So can we please end this "too many go to college to study gender studies" non-sense? That's a figment of the conservative imagination. A lot of schools don't even offer a major in ethnic or gender studies and those that do have a minuscule number of people majoring in them.
I think your stats may be off. Notice there is a large amount of interdisciplinary studies. Many colleges consider gender/ethnic studies as interdisciplinary studies with history, sociology, etc... Classes that I took in college could count towards several fields including history or gender studies.

Also there are other degrees besides gender studies that aren't as conducive to getting a career.

I have many students who do get majors in philosophy, gender studies, African-American studies, sociology, etc...and end up working at Starbucks, Panera Bread, or at an entry level position with United Way. I've never had a single former student come back and tell me that she/he can't get a career job with a degree in Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, etc...

We have far more people drop out of college than Germany and yet we have far more people still get a college degree than Germany...because far more Americans attend college...and we have far more people get a degree and not get a career job than Germany...and yet Germany's economy is vibrant and strong...something is amiss somewhere. What is it?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:39 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

We have far more people drop out of college than Germany and yet we have far more people still get a college degree than Germany...because far more Americans attend college...and we have far more people get a degree and not get a career job than Germany...and yet Germany's economy is vibrant and strong...something is amiss somewhere. What is it?
1) USA's economy is also vibrant and strong. Do you think otherwise?

2) Your numbers show that we have far more than Germany in all those categories because (drum roll), there are for more people in the USA than in Germany.

3) Why do you think something is amiss?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
I'm just going to drop this bombshell from Georgetown University here...
Quote:
"The millennial generation is still lagging in the workplace, making up about 40 percent of the unemployed in the U.S., says Anthony Carnevale, a director and research professor for Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce."
Millennials: Young, Supposedly Educated, Jobless - Newsweek

Old 12-28-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Right? If it was easy I wouldn't have to pay someone else to do it for me, since I'd be able to figure it out myself!
Exactly correct!

Old 12-28-2017, 07:44 AM

45,394 posts, read 60,575,206 times
This is in response to MichiganMoon.
To answer your question, Germany tracks. The kids there who go on to college have been on the College Prep track almost from elementary school.

We used to do that here but, for the most part, got away from it starting in the 1980s in the name of "school reform". Reform, by the way, which has been aimed almost exclusively at the lowest performing 20%.

That is partly the reason that vocational programs in high school have essentially been disemboweled. In the interest of fairness and reform those went away because they were " stifling the aspirations of students and relegating them to a life of toil".

Another piece is academia. I entered teaching at 30 so I'd kicked around a bit (I only went to college to avoid factory work but still ended up there) but most of my colleagues throughout my 30+ year career had been in school at one level or another since they were 5 or 6. School was all they knew. It's magnified at the university level.

Then look in the mirror. Parents also demanded that schools become college oriented. School Boards complied.

Also having a piece are educational foundations. There's very little money from them for vocations but almost unlimited funding for schools to implement AP and IB programs.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:45 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Not Ethnic and gender studies are just an example. Add in many arts degrees, history, social work... just google "Worst ROI college degrees"
That's a misconception as well. A larger percentage of graduates received bachelor's degrees in Ethnic/Gender Studies, English literature, the humanities, social sciences, history and psychology in 1971 than in 2015.

1971 - 267,485 (31.8%)
2015 - 381,777 (20.1%)

There's actually a higher percentage of Millennials receiving business degrees compared to their Boomer counterparts (19% vs 13%). A slightly higher % of Boomers received degrees in math and engineering, but computer science majors were nearly non-existent then, and there are far more biology majors today than there were in 1971. Here are the totals for math, engineering, and biology and physical sciences and technologies.

1971 - 126,950 (15.1%)
2015 - 259,645 (13.7%)

So there's a smaller % of Millennials studying STEM fields if you exclude computer science (which I did to make it an apples to apples comparison). But that's not really a fair comparison (for Millennials) since the National Science Foundation *does* consider CompSci a STEM major and nearly 60,000 people were awarded degrees in that field in 2015. If you include computer science majors, then that 13.7% leaps up to 16.8%.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:49 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You hit that one on the head, you won't see many rich kids going to work in the mills when they get out of HS.
They also have jobs waiting for them. Has nothing to do with getting an education, it's just part of the lifestyle.

I worked for one of these people. Two weeks after he was fired he had another fancy title and a mid-six figure salary at another company. They are connected beyond connected.

Know any people able to land a $250k+ jobs two weeks after getting fired? Yeah. Me neither.

Oh, and his "degree?" A PhD in DRAMA. (tipoff to his connections that he can earn a substantial living with a PhD in drama)

Old 12-28-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This is in response to MichiganMoon.
To answer your question, Germany tracks. The kids there who go on to college have been on the College Prep track almost from elementary school.

We used to do that here but, for the most part, got away from it starting in the 1980s in the name of "school reform". Reform, by the way, which has been aimed almost exclusively at the lowest performing 20%.
Actually, The US's academic decline began in the the 1960s. Read and learn:

US Education - A Historical Perspective

Old 12-28-2017, 07:51 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Excellent plan! Definitely moving in the right direction.

You know, THIS is what people need to understand about success: It's EARNED. It takes a lot of planning, commitment, and hard work. At any level. Anyone who thinks the trades are easy needs to get a clue. Think about that the next time you have to call a mechanic, an electrician, a plumber, or for HVAC repair.
My son has ADHD. Id love to think otherwise but I just dont see college for him. Im a realist. OTOH he is a scary scary boy when it comes to anything mechanical or computer related. Computer related scares me due to the India factor so electrician it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Quote:
Exactly correct!
Youtube is your friend.
Ive done:
Change a 480V 3ph electric motor -scared the hell out of me so I bought a giant lock and shut the whole building down then locked it then made sure both keys were still in my pocket. Still alive (obviously)
Change auto brakes where I learned its easy except I hate calipers and that cheap brake line vac sucks but not enough literally and you need a good one.
Clean an oil boiler
Prime an oil boiler
Install an OTR microwave
a couple others thanks to Youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies