Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party values education more?
Democrats 110 74.32%
Republicans 38 25.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 12:48 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,350,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
POC is pretty right leaning IMO but regardless of the poll, the numbers absolutely tell the story. Republican states are absolutely the least educated and Democratic states are the most educated, therefore Democrats value education more.
Define "least educated" and "most educated". I suspect your definition is skewed toward the liberal mantra that a college degree reigns supreme and anyone who doesn't hold a degree is an idiot. If you define "educated" as someone holding a piece of paper saying they got such and such a degree, you've excluded a large number of folks in the skilled trades who have just as much "education", but aren't waving around a piece of paper from a university. Similarly, I would hardly call someone with a BA in something like Art History to be educated. Before we go around declaring who is or isn't educated, perhaps we should come up with an agreed upon definition that doesn't heavily favor college degrees and exclude blue collar workers. The unabashed arrogance of Democrats is appalling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 12:59 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,869,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The health and education industries are Democrat domains. It's no accident that they are the two most expensive industries in the world and receive more money than anything else government is involved in.
They receive a lot of money because they are two of the most important elements of a first world country - a healthy and educated population.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:12 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
We can see from this thread so far that Republicans do not value liberal arts education. So, the social sciences, language, or really any subject that has you thinking beyond cold, hard numbers is greatly undervalued. Unfortunately for the right, the social sciences are the ones that shape people into greater, more empathetic human beings so I'm not at all surprised that Republicans often do not value them.

Trump style Republicans view any education unfavorably. More often than not, they see education as "indoctrination by the left."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It really depends on what you consider education. If you consider going to college with an SAT of say only 900, 6 years of undergraduate school, only 12 credits a semester, with lots of drinking, partying and social justice protests, and graduate with a liberal arts degree in gender studies, an education-I'd go with Democrats. (or some other "do you want fries with that" major).

If you're talking hard sciences, engineering, medicine, chemistry, material science, physics, etc where only the top students can accepted, work their butts off and take 20 credits a semester, and graduate with a degree where they can get a job in their field-I'd say Republicans.
Obviously different perspectives, but both highlighting the underlying divide: Democrats value education for the sake of education more than Republicans, Republicans value education for the sake of developing useful skills more than Democrats. It's a fundamentally different point of view on the purpose of the thing (a means to an end versus an end in and of itself).

Old 12-30-2017, 01:28 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,632,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Obviously different perspectives, but both highlighting the underlying divide: Democrats value education for the sake of education more than Republicans, Republicans value education for the sake of developing useful skills more than Democrats. It's a fundamentally different point of view on the purpose of the thing (a means to an end versus an end in and of itself).
I wouldn't say Democrats (liberals) place less value on educations for the sake of developing useful skills, but liberals recognize the value that liberal arts education adds to society at large. There is value in art, language, and all of the fruits of human expression. We cannot live in a world without engineers and mathematicians, but a world full of nothing but would be terrible. We need artists, writers, linguists, anthropologists, etc. The point of college, for some, isn't just to obtain a well paying job afterward.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Democrats love indoctrinated drones. That's why they want to send everyone to college, so they can be exposed to and brainwashed by hardcore left wing radicals masquerading as "educators". Indoctrinate them while their minds are still weak and susceptible to brainwashing. Then, they will be perfect little slaves until they are old and feeble, ready to be disposed of and replaced by the next batch of mindless drones in training. Sad that parents and students are devoting large sums of money to this unnecessary practice. Even more sad that lefties have convinced large numbers of Americans that this is necessary for society.

Left wants group think and indoctrination. The right values wisdom over group think, and desires people to think independently and avoid becoming sheeple marching to their own slaughter. Wisdom is not handed out like a college degree. It is acquired via real life experience.
All the conservatives I know are very proud of their formal education & the formal education their kids are getting.

I don't know about your bubble but mine doesn't see that either party holds education in a higher esteem.

Here on this board -- yeah lots of conservative posters seem to put a low value on a higher education. I think it's party of the trolling nature of boards.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:55 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,904,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It really depends on what you consider education. If you consider going to college with an SAT of say only 900, 6 years of undergraduate school, only 12 credits a semester, with lots of drinking, partying and social justice protests, and graduate with a liberal arts degree in gender studies, an education-I'd go with Democrats. (or some other "do you want fries with that" major).

If you're talking hard sciences, engineering, medicine, chemistry, material science, physics, etc where only the top students can accepted, work their butts off and take 20 credits a semester, and graduate with a degree where they can get a job in their field-I'd say Republicans.
You do realize that the Republican politicians you've voted for all of your life, as well as conservative pundits you watch on FOX News and listen to on talk radio, have liberal arts degrees right?

Old 12-30-2017, 01:55 PM

24,003 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Define "least educated" and "most educated". I suspect your definition is skewed toward the liberal mantra that a college degree reigns supreme and anyone who doesn't hold a degree is an idiot. If you define "educated" as someone holding a piece of paper saying they got such and such a degree, you've excluded a large number of folks in the skilled trades who have just as much "education", but aren't waving around a piece of paper from a university. Similarly, I would hardly call someone with a BA in something like Art History to be educated. Before we go around declaring who is or isn't educated, perhaps we should come up with an agreed upon definition that doesn't heavily favor college degrees and exclude blue collar workers. The unabashed arrogance of Democrats is appalling.
I'd go for define education.

Some here think a college degree is a work permit. Any student requiring remedial anything in college has no business in college. How did they get out of high school?

We did not depend on any school system to 'educate' our kids. The schools supplemented us.

Nobody needs vouchers. They are not enough to cover tuition for a low income student. Allowing open enrollment within a school district would accomplish the same thing. If all the students select the same school the administration better get busy.

My state and most local school districts have been controlled by Republicans for as long as memory serves. Our kids are no better and maybe a little worse than most other state's.

If i were queen, we'd hire smarter teachers, have smaller classes and require parent participation. After high school, trade school for those who want it.

FWIW, 2 of my kids teach school, their kids will be school teachers. A sil, bil, 4 nieces and 1 nephew teach school. None belongs to a union.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Sigh. Both parties value education.
This is true, BUT they value "education" differently.
Education used to be about teaching children - the Democrats view education as a JOB's program for Unions a lot more than what is valuable for children. Pensions, Job Benefits, Top Heavy Administration and "aids" far outnumber the Teaching of children. The result is money going to Unions and Teacher JOBS and not to educating the kiddos. Look at the results of "education" today - low graduation rates, kids that must be brought up to speed before they can even begin a University degree, a 4 year program at any University is almost a rarity in the USA today.

That's not to say that there are not a large majority of really good teachers who value their students, but if they are honest - they will tell you that the roughest part of their job is dealing with Administration.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:59 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
What party wants school vouchers?

Old 12-30-2017, 02:00 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Democrats - traditional education and education via travel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies