Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" (let's face it, he never had to work a day in his life)", and you were right at his died EVERY ONE OF THOSE DAYS in order to make such a knowledgeable claim. I think NOT.

Do you really think he just sat at his desk all day looking out the window and all those deals just happened all by themselves?

All those hotels and golf course got built WITHOUT him? He just cloesd his eyes and wished them there.

TDS has gotten really bad!
Trump doesn’t build himself. He contracts everything out. He sells licenses for his name, so that most of the buildings with the Trump name were not built by him. He just sold his name.

Sort of like how he has sold his soul.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:52 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And at the end of the day it was UP!

"
Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI)

UP 115.97 today UP 0.45%

May 15, 2019 4:58 PM EDT

https://www.thestreet.com/quote/djia...age-today.html
I'm heavily invested in the market. I make money when it goes up. That's good. When the market dips or corrects I stay cool because I know that's a good thing too. If the market gets too far ahead of itself and forms a bubble that's not a good thing. That's why I can actually enjoy a 600 point drop. Now if the DOW dropped 600 points several days in a row I might get a little nervous but I wouldn't make any changes to my investment plan. Stay cool.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
We Will Have A Recession Within One Year
Quote:
When you examine an interest rate, you can basically think of it in one simple term: risk. When a short-term interest rate is above a long-term interest rate, this implies that immediate conditions suggest higher immediate risk versus the future risk. Historically speaking, when the 10-year interest rate falls below the three-month interest rate, we see recessions hit within one to two years.

The basic reason why you generally see recessions following this event is that the business slowdown associated with an increase in risk is not immediately felt but takes time to percolate through the economy since many corporate discount rates for new projects are based off of government benchmarks. When short-term interest rates go above longer-term interest rates, the practical implication is that short-term projects are riskier than long-term projects. How this plays out is that businesses require higher returns in the short term and are therefore less likely to pursue projects. This leads to overall and immediate slowing of business activity which snowballs into additional declines across the economy.
And the link to the relevant chart:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/T10Y3M

Old 05-16-2019, 07:33 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Lol. PS: market opened up again today.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Lol. PS: market opened up again today.
Obviously you didn't read the article and look at the chart. Or maybe it's just over your head.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:53 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,534 times
Anyone else pick up stock on Monday? Good time to buy, I bought a few things.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:51 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Interesting financial media article. Feeds the flame that the President can influence the markets.

Why does it end saying, take with a grain of salt ?
What is the reason for reporting on a grain of salt ? Answer, its speculation.
That's what investing is, speculation !!!
It involves opinion just like most post in this thread.
( On the other hand, Price charts are facts not opinion.)

Is Trump playing the markets and investors like a fiddle or what ?

Speculation: is the purchase of an asset with the hope that it will become more valuable in the near future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculation

Opinion: This chart proves the existence of a Trump ‘put’ in the stock market
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/thi...dist=bigcharts

Chart :
https://thearorareport.com/chart-of-...ing-on-tariffs

Old 05-16-2019, 08:56 AM

I've been noticing that. Several times recently the markets will start the day tumbling, usually on some trade-related news, and then Trump or somebody else in the administration will come out and say something like, "Oh, we've got another meeting with the Chinese scheduled soon." So then the market reverses course.

Problem with that strategy is, if they don't actually get something accomplished (besides more talking) after some while, the markets will realize they've been had and start ignoring those pronunciations.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, same on me.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:00 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
I've been noticing that. Several times recently the markets will start the day tumbling, usually on some trade-related news, and then Trump or somebody else in the administration will come out and say something like, "Oh, we've got another meeting with the Chinese scheduled soon." So then the market reverses course.

Problem with that strategy is, if they don't actually get something accomplished (besides more talking) after some while, the markets will realize they've been had and start ignoring those pronunciations.

And the democrats along with the anti-Trumpers biggest fear is, a deal will get done, with long term benefits.

Trump is nothing short of brilliant if 007 is right !!!

Its worth repeating.

Is Trump playing the markets and investors like a fiddle or what ?

Old 05-16-2019, 09:04 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:

Right. Just like Trump's "pump and dump" operations back in the 1980s. After a while savvy investors caught on to what he was up to and wouldn't take the bait when he spread fake rumors about him taking over a company. He ended up losing over $30 million on a single trade (American Airlines) and that was the end of his career as a "corporate raider".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies