Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

The article explains that the prices of W&D ARE higher now.

But overall prices are not going up. Which I am happy about. Surprised, but happy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The article explains that the prices of W&D ARE higher now.

But overall prices are not going up. Which I am happy about. Surprised, but happy.
The last sentence in the report is important and it is not what many have been saying at all !!!

Here from the link:

Yet as the recent evidence shows, the relationship between tariffs and higher prices is far from an exact one.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The last sentence in the report is important and it is not what many have been saying at all !!!

Here from the link:

Yet as the recent evidence shows, the relationship between tariffs and higher prices is far from an exact one.

I don't think anyone has said different.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
OK if you say so !!!

Here is something people are saying:

70 percent of Wall Street thinks Trump will be re-elected in 2020
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...020/ar-BBVEgYM

Further, the stock strategist said that if Biden does not declare, or the polling data suggests that he won't win the Democratic nomination, it could weigh on the market because of the anti-business policies of the other contenders.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
OK if you say so !!!

Further, the stock strategist said that if Biden does not declare, or the polling data suggests that he won't win the Democratic nomination, it could weigh on the market because of the anti-business policies of the other contenders.

I think there is a good chance he will be re-elected. I hope not, but it would be unwise not to see the possibility.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:15 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Quote:

Here from the link:

The lack of price consequences with tariffs indicates that the tariffs were needed; spare capacity is available.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The reality is clear - the metrics are there! We don't need any tax returns...we know more than enough and can measure in various ways which are completely accurate!

1. He received approx 350-400 million in inheritance in the 1975-1980 period.
He would be VASTLY wealthier right now if he invested that in CD's or Treasuries at the time.

2. If he invested that money in the S&P, he'd be worth about 15+ BILLION dollars.

3. If he invested that money in Warren Buffets stock, he'd be the wealthiest person in the world (150 Billion or so).

Instead, he was admittedly worth about zero (court documents and even his own words) after 30 years of "investing" and only clawed up to a few Billion with the help of "funny money" from Russians and others (again, admittedly....lots of real estate sales to Russians, many at 2 and 3X the value of the properties, etc.).....

This does not include the bankruptcies and the vast losses to contractors, investors, taxpayers and the like.......in other words, the world would be MUCH better off if he either never existed or just chased Women and put the money in Vanguard.....

If we want to put him in the best possible light...that is, if I were hired by him to spread PR, I would take the starting 350+ Million and then calculate the return TO DATE TODAY.....even tho it includes all that funny stuff.

That would be less than 5% per year ROI on the money/business/name/brand/work. That isn't worth getting up in the morning for as most decent investors make twice that or more doing nothing. The power of compounding then works in wondrous ways.

Now, I understand basic numbers like the above are hard for many, especially so-called "low information" or "Kardasian Celebrity Chasing" types. They like bigly words, insults and hearing a guy talk at 4th grade level.

But for those who actually know numbers.....c'mon, step right up. Challenge those numbers....

Put into a really simply way, Trump has made so little (or lost so much) that if he has borrowed the money he used at Prime Rate (he paid more...but then defaulted), his interest payments would far exceed his "profits".

Everything he has done has been at a loss...
Not really !!! He won the election !!! That was priceless !!!

Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
OK if you say so !!!

Right now, if he was to crash the economy, I doubt any Wall Street wonder boy would think that. We all know that. It may not be as clear for now that he will, but it is still a possibility given all the tariff talk.

I do think the Democratic ticket will be Biden and Bernie in some way. It just makes the most sense. This will give both sides a stake in the election. The problem I had with Pence was he had a similar core base to Trump. At least Romney and McCain tried to cater to the conservatives with Ryan and Palin despite being moderates.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Not really !!! He won the election !!! That was priceless !!!
Well, it definitely pays off eventually.....lots of more money will be funneled to his family and friends and brands.....some of it has already happened (Jared bailed out of his billion dollar white elephant, etc.).....

So we agree on this one. For someone who wants to laugh at norms, ethics, laws, the constitution, etc - the Presidency can be quite profitable.

Still, I really doubt it will bring him even up to a 6% ROI over his lifetime.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:04 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Here is a basic take on how Trump turns billions into thousands......

"Damage? Before the trade war, Kolanovic said stocks were rising at an above-trend pace, until stalling for 18 months. “If one takes that the average annual return of U.S. equities was around 7%, the estimated cost of the trade war so far is about $3 trillion…the market damage is about 100 times the tariffs collected, so it’s clearly not making the country richer.”

The guy is being conservative because he's only figuring on a 7% return, whereas most decent investors get 10% plus - AND, if Trump was 1/2 as smart as he claims, the market would be up 12% average (which makes 18% plus for the last 18 months).

So I will say 5 Trillion.....instead of 3.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/on...gan-2019-06-13
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies