Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 11:42 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Its not a bait and switch. There are 1000s of articles and news stories about how you should NOT sell into a sell-off like this, because people always do it and always come out worse than if they just rode it out. I happens like clock work every time. People just need to educate themselves and pay attention. Calling this a bait and switch is like telling someone you are surprised that the sun went down in the evening.
Right, true (and as I think I also tried to explain way back to my comment #4368), but careful about trying to explain any such thing, because it can seem condescending to someone who doesn't take too well to alternative points of view, insights and perspectives backed up with more than just love of Trump. Doesn't matter how many times you explain the same thing anyway when the agenda isn't really about understanding all these articles and news stories at all. It's about finding ways to justify a thread title that can't really be justified other than by twisting all facts into a pro-Trump narrative that only Trump supporters seem to accept without question.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:53 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Right, true (and as I think I also tried to explain way back to my comment #4368), but careful about trying to explain any such thing, because it can seem condescending to someone who doesn't take too well to alternative points of view, insights and perspectives backed up with more than just love of Trump. Doesn't matter how many times you explain the same thing anyway when the agenda isn't really about understanding all these articles and news stories at all. It's about finding ways to justify a thread title that can't really be justified other than by twisting all facts into a pro-Trump narrative that only Trump supporters seem to accept without question.
Agree....regardless of the title/point of this thread, I just try to present facts, and my bias is that I don't think any POTUS drives the markets - up, down, even, Dem, Rep, Independent. Market cycles and market history are your friend, the POTUS is just smoke and mirrors like the great Oz.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:54 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
How is that hate everything Trump working for you ? Making any money on it or sticking with the goal of attracting like minds ?

Old 01-10-2019, 01:28 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
How is that hate everything Trump working for you ? Making any money on it or sticking with the goal of attracting like minds ?
I don't hate Trump or you, and pretty much all the money I have made that now allows me a comfortable retirement where I want to live has never had anything to do with those sorts of emotions that you forever put on display here. Give it a rest already...

I have little respect for Trump and his ways, however, for all the reasons I can easily justify, just like I can pretty easily justify my comments in this thread as well as others. If I can't justify my opinion about something, I don't express an opinion about that something. Simple as that.

Few of my comments, if you were to bother considering them like an adult, have much to do with Trump as a rule. My focus is on the actual reasons for the market/economic ups and downs we have been experiencing since long before you fell in love with Trump. You're the one that's all about Trump, not me, and that's why you tend to get all the criticism you get from me and others in this thread of yours.

Again, simple as that.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:09 PM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
I was hoping China might get back to taking more of our trash again (and that you might tone down the drama), but at least you've got some more breaking news for us to consider. Hard not to be condescending in the face of so much on-going repeated nonsense, but are we yet again supposed to applaud some glimpse of market recovery after Trump first disrupts the markets with his trade war and now, perhaps, eases off a bit with respect to those "tensions?" As I have been "advocating" all along?!?

Should we applaud a wife beater when they suddenly decide to be a little nice?

Good grief. Have mercy!

Right. Back to the wall and the shutdown for more of how Trump is "absolutely the greatest!"

Ah, um er... I do believe the topic is um er ah... 24k.

Waa! Shift divert

Oh, but since you mention it, how productive is that new House of yours along with Cryin' Chuck?

Completely worthless? Oh that's right.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 PM

The stock market just got off to its best start in 13 years
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...dist=bigcharts

A late-session rally helped to solidify Thursday’s gains, coming after investors digested comments from Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, who pronounced at the Economic Club in Washington on Thursday afternoon that the economy is in good health

Dow and S&P 500 escape correction territory after 5-day stock-market surge
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dow...dist=bigcharts

President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. The US economy is the best in the world

Old 01-10-2019, 07:46 PM

672 posts, read 256,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The stock market just got off to its best start in 13 years
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...dist=bigcharts

A late-session rally helped to solidify Thursday’s gains, coming after investors digested comments from Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, who pronounced at the Economic Club in Washington on Thursday afternoon that the economy is in good health

Dow and S&P 500 escape correction territory after 5-day stock-market surge
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dow...dist=bigcharts

President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy.
The Nasdq is getting ready for a third leg down. This little rally is just to get suckers like you to believe the hype on the cable finance channels.

It's already broken trend support. The next supports are a long way ( about 2,000 points ) further down.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:50 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Tuesday (1/15/19) could be make or break for the markets. Earnings calls for some major companies start then, especially the banks and financials. You have companies reporting like Delta, JPMC, Schwab, Wells Fargo, Kinder Morgan, BoA, Bancorp, BlackRock, Bank of NY Melon, PNC, Goldman...you get the point. If their earnings aren't good, or if they revise future earnings like Apple did, this could get ugly.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet619 View Post
The Nasdq is getting ready for a third leg down. This little rally is just to get suckers like you to believe the hype on the cable finance channels.

It's already broken trend support. The next supports are a long way ( about 2,000 points ) further down.
The stock markets do go up and down. Glad you caught on to that !!!

Myself I thought the bottom on the DOW would hit 20,000 and maybe as low as 18,000 but I don't try to pick bottoms and look forward to seeing what the next down leg brings for a low. There is definitely some tech. resistance at 24,000. I was surprised when it closed above that today. Good news will do that just as bad news can take it down.

Stock market marks 5th straight gain, Dow, S&P 500 exit correction
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sto...dist=bigcharts

Last edited by phma; 01-10-2019 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet619 View Post

This is true. Traders made a quick 10% since 12/24 - but the market almost stalled today and is still close to 3000 points BELOW its 2018 high. It's bumping a ceiling - has basically been drifting down, with lower highs and lower lows - been doing that since February 2018. No one has confidence in this 'rally.' Next week companies begin to report earnings - if future guidance remains murky because of tariffs, market will sell off again. It's a great time to be a trader - sell short or buy long and be nimble. If you're a long-term investor, close your eyes and ignore volatility because portfolios can lose huge sums in a day - and keep losing incrementally over time. They did all last year.

The ballooning deficit and continued quantitative easing resulting in less liquidity, more than interest rates, remain long-term enemies of market health. Tariffs only exacerbate the deficits by further reducing revenues. It will take years to repair the damage inflicted by the stupidly-implemented tariffs.

How any sane investor can have any confidence their investments will hold value with wrecking ball Trump and his clowns at the helm is beyond me. Yes, markets have ups and downs, but previously, we've had sane, intelligent, normal people as presidents, so one could assume the market would recover. Not now.

And, a shutdown which goes on much longer will begin to affect market confidence, as well. Just one more piece of evidence of CIC incompetence and ignorance - as if we don't have enough already.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-10-2019 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies