Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:19 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,891,231 times

Advertisements

Alan Dershowitz, a liberal and Jewish, has been on Fox news making several "conservative" arguments and even defending the Trump administration. Surprisingly I found myself agreeing with him. But there's one thing he like all liberals are adamant about-mass globalized immigration.

Last night on Hannity addressing Trumps alleged "s-hole countries" comment, Dershowitz said Trump should apologize, and "we" should never say anything bad about any craphole countries and should openly accept immigration from all countries. Uh okay because why??

He went on to say, his grandfather immigrated from a European country, presumably in the early 1900s and accordingly we should always welcome immigration forever from everywhere.

What? First off just because America allowed in his grandfather in from Europe probably over a 100 years ago, what does that have to do with letting in immigrants from the third world today.

Furthermore, this stands reason and fairness on its head. Why does allowing an immigrant in at one time from a given place obligate America to allow any other from anywhere going forward? That's completely backwards. The countries that America allowed immigrants in the past are obligated to accept Americans openly if anything. Israel if any nation is obligated to accept immigrants especially Americans and Westerns after hosting the Jewish diaspora for centuries for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 03:29 PM

700 posts, read 638,780 times
Perhaps he believes the merit-based immigration process should focus on the individual rather than the nation they emigrate from. People from varying countries aren't carbon copies of one another. There are some well-educated, self-supporting individuals from Haiti just as there are some poverty-stricken Norwegians.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:39 PM

1,991 posts, read 902,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Alan Dershowitz, a liberal and Jewish, has been on Fox news making several "conservative" arguments and even defending the Trump administration. Surprisingly I found myself agreeing with him. But there's one thing he like all liberals are adamant about-mass globalized immigration.

Last night on Hannity addressing Trumps alleged "s-hole countries" comment, Dershowitz said Trump should apologize, and "we" should never say anything bad about any craphole countries and should openly accept immigration from all countries. Uh okay because why??

He went on to say, his grandfather immigrated from a European country, presumably in the early 1900s and accordingly we should always welcome immigration forever from everywhere.

What? First off just because America allowed in his grandfather in from Europe probably over a 100 years ago, what does that have to do with letting in immigrants from the third world today.

Furthermore, this stands reason and fairness on its head. Why does allowing an immigrant in at one time from a given place obligate America to allow any other from anywhere going forward? That's completely backwards. The countries that America allowed immigrants in the past are obligated to accept Americans openly if anything. Israel if any nation is obligated to accept immigrants especially Americans and Westerns after hosting the Jewish diaspora for centuries for example.
And where did your ancestors come from? Why are you denying the same opportunities to new emigrants that were afforded to your ancestors?

Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 PM

34,254 posts, read 18,620,732 times
Why the U.S. should be the default depository for every criminal, refugee, potential terrorist, uneducated, poor person in the world is beyond me. Other countries have very strict immigration requirements. Why shouldn't we?

Old 01-13-2018, 03:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,590,635 times
Dude, liberals don't have logic!

Old 01-13-2018, 03:51 PM

858 posts, read 708,586 times
If we held this logic for the last hundred years, then we would have only been immigrating from the same countries. We are the land of opportunity and we need to remember what we stand for and why we fought for our independence. Are those people from Haiti and elsewhere not worthy enough to improve their lives and the lives of their children and families? That is why everyone fights to get here. What is so wrong about what Trump said and is doing with his immigration policies is that he's basically saying that a large swath of the world is not worth fighting for. He's deciding that those immigrants do nothing for Trump, then they are not worth helping. There is so much that Trump says and does that is completely against everything that Americans should stand for.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:52 PM

11,149 posts, read 10,726,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
And where did your ancestors come from? Why are you denying the same opportunities to new emigrants that were afforded to your ancestors?
I'm not the person you asked this of, but I'll answer anyway. Half of my ancestors didn't come from anywhere - they were here when the Europeans showed up. The other half came from Norway, France, and England.

Our immigration policy should not be based on what we "used" to do. Times change, resources become limited, available housing becomes full. Economically, we can't continue the way we've been going. We will, eventually, reach a tipping point. As one of the most popular countries for immigrants to come to, we should be setting standards which require immigrants to have skills or education which will contribute to our society, not bringing in people who have no skills, limited education, and will end up on government assistance.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
Perhaps he believes the merit-based immigration process should focus on the individual rather than the nation they emigrate from. People from varying countries aren't carbon copies of one another. There are some well-educated, self-supporting individuals from Haiti just as there are some poverty-stricken Norwegians.
Who Dershowitz or Trump? That's exactly what Trump is doing. He wants the highest achieving immigrants from anywhere. Now how many of those are coming from say Haiti? Certainly not all if any of the "all the people coming in from s-hole countries" as Trump allegedly said are high achieving and self sustaining.

I paraphrased Dershowitz and it's very clear he was saying don't criticize craphole countries just freely allow in immigration from all those third world nations....because his grandfather was allowed in from Europe 100 or so years ago. It's ass backwards.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:07 PM

63,013 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I'm not the person you asked this of, but I'll answer anyway. Half of my ancestors didn't come from anywhere - they were here when the Europeans showed up. The other half came from Norway, France, and England.

Our immigration policy should not be based on what we "used" to do. Times change, resources become limited, available housing becomes full. Economically, we can't continue the way we've been going. We will, eventually, reach a tipping point. As one of the most popular countries for immigrants to come to, we should be setting standards which require immigrants to have skills or education which will contribute to our society, not bringing in people who have no skills, limited education, and will end up on government assistance.
I totally agree. Back then we needed manual laborers to build our country. It didn't matter if they were poor because there was no welfare state back then. They rolled up their sleeves and worked and if they couldn't make it here they returned to their homelands. Our needs have changed over the past 100 years and we no longer need those types of immigrants. I seriously doubt that there are many well educated, well off Haitians that are even applying to migrate here if so then let them in. But for the most part they are not that type of immigrant and they would be a burden to our society rather than a benefit. I don't know why so many people think that we should base our immigration policies today on what was needed a 100 years ago. It's truly mind boggling.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
For the same reasons every country and Israel doesn't just allow me and the rest of the world to immigrate maybe?

My ancestors were not afforded any opportunities in the 1600-1800 when they came, just low pay or just some food for hard labor if that, some were indentured. They primarily came from the British Isles and were already British citizens/subjects and didn't immigrate to begin with. So there's no comparison between then and today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies