Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 02:33 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That was not the point. Before the 16th Amendment, it didn't matter who came here, or how they got here.

Once the Welfare State took over, there was skin in the game. It got pretty selective, just who got our goodies, that we were force to give up.
Didn't the social safety net begin in tne mid 1960s with LBJ’s Great Society? Then, in 1965, the Immigration laws were changed to admit more people from non-white countries. Coincidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 02:44 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Not crazy at all. He seemed quite principled to me, which is an anomaly these days.

As for you, buttercup, I didn't know you were capable of such clarity. Longer posts suit you.

And as for me, I found myself on this page tonight - Why I Am an Anarcho-Capitalist. Interesting in the theoretical, but people would eventually screw it up.
If you're going to screw up, screw up your own life. I'll screw up mine on my own. That's my motto!

As for your appreciation of my post I can't take any of the credit. I'm a product of State-mandatory propaganda centers (what you would refer to as public schools).

If not for the government I would lack the knowledge that a period is required at the end of this very sentence

(period purposely omitted in defiance of the State)

Old 01-15-2018, 03:55 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
A poem on the Statue of Liberty should not be confused with immigration policy.
Nor should such a poem be confused with law.

So if I write a poem and put it on an object and give it to a foreign country does it become law for that country?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:19 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Didn't the social safety net begin in tne mid 1960s with LBJ’s Great Society? Then, in 1965, the Immigration laws were changed to admit more people from non-white countries. Coincidence?
Social Security started in the 30s with FDRs New Deal.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:50 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
We actually agree on a lot normally, since we're both libertarian...I'm definitely not progressive.

I posted that the only way to own property legitimately is to homestead it, trade for it, or have it gifted to you. What confuses people is that they believe government borders are legitimate when they aren't.

We both agree that you can't have both open borders and a welfare state, I assume. I'm for getting rid of all social programs (or taxes altogether) because they a) force innocent people to take on other people's burdens, and b) incentivize people to move here that aren't going to be producers. The welfare state is the real issue here because that is attracting the people who will become a burden.

Getting rid of it may not happen anytime soon, but I don't believe the ends justify the means, ever. See my above post.
WE do agree on 80% of issues; however, on the issues of welfare and social safety nets... this is where Libertarians are always split. I'm a believer in having them in the unadulterated premise of helping those in need through no fault of their own. They have become a means to an income, designed more for vote getting and keeping the poor on the plantation; an insidious con job at the very least.

No, there's no problem if welfare was reformed as well as immigration.

Something that bleeding hear liberals won't admit is that since most illegals work under aliases and forged/stolen documents is they work under the table WHILE collecting welfare.

They are here to get all they can from our system, PERIOD!

Some call it looking for a better life, I call it theft.

Originally Posted by xPlorer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Social Security started in the 30s with FDRs New Deal.
It was started to help widows and abandoned women with children. It was hijacked by Johnson and the Dems to create a grateful "poor class" and to reverse all the damage southern Dems had done. They also expected this new welfare class would vote for them in perpetuity... which it has, exactly as planned.

Last edited by steven_h; 01-15-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-15-2018, 04:41 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Not crazy at all. He seemed quite principled to me, which is an anomaly these days.

As for you, buttercup, I didn't know you were capable of such clarity. Longer posts suit you.

And as for me, I found myself on this page tonight - Why I Am an Anarcho-Capitalist. Interesting in the theoretical, but people would eventually screw it up.
I was almost about to say, that's an article I recommended to someone once before... but it was actually this one...

https://tucker.liberty.me/how-i-became-an-anarchist/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies