Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 04:48 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Keep in mind that when Schumer and the Media kept saying "Trump said he would sign a bill that was brought to him - and he rejected the bi-partisan agreement that was brought to him" ..... they are comparing Apples to Concrete Blocks.

1). Lindsay Graham & Jeff Flake do NOT represent all Republicans.
2). A proposal is NOT a bill that has been passed, there is nothing to "sign".

The Harvard-Harris poll pretty fairly represents the feelings of Republicans, Democrats & Independents.
It's why Schumer grabbed the Off-Ramp and quit while he was behind, but not so deep in a hole that he couldn't get out.

I won't be surprised if a group of Democrats join with some "moderate" GOP Senators and cut Schumer/Durbin out of the negotiations to basically get what this poll indicates.

DACA protection
NO Chain Migration
No open Lottery
No auto Residency for DACA parents.

I am totally against ANY sponsorship of Residency by a Non-Citizen -- ONLY Citizens should be able to sponsor immigrants.
Nah, Trump pulled a Schumer on Schumer. If you live/lived in NY you know this snakes tactics.

I don't doubt they had an agreement when Schumer met him. I don't doubt that at all. Trump gave Schumer lip service and he ran with it LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 04:49 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Keep in mind that when Schumer and the Media kept saying "Trump said he would sign a bill that was brought to him - and he rejected the bi-partisan agreement that was brought to him" ..... they are comparing Apples to Concrete Blocks.

1). Lindsay Graham & Jeff Flake do NOT represent all Republicans.
2). A proposal is NOT a bill that has been passed, there is nothing to "sign".

The Harvard-Harris poll pretty fairly represents the feelings of Republicans, Democrats & Independents.
It's why Schumer grabbed the Off-Ramp and quit while he was behind, but not so deep in a hole that he couldn't get out.

I won't be surprised if a group of Democrats join with some "moderate" GOP Senators and cut Schumer/Durbin out of the negotiations to basically get what this poll indicates.

DACA protection
NO Chain Migration
No open Lottery
No auto Residency for DACA parents.

I am totally against ANY sponsorship of Residency by a Non-Citizen -- ONLY Citizens should be able to sponsor immigrants.
I don't think Democrat proposals are very much off from what you write above.

The core issue I think comes from looping in wall funding with DACA. I would rather the government take care of DACA independently since it is widely supported and most people agree on how it should be structured (similar to what you wrote above). Keep in mind - our government has been debating this DREAMER issue for nearly 20 years. It is about time to put this to rest and move on to other issues (including other issues relating to immigration).

When Republicans say things like "Democrats want DACA - we're going to make them work for it", it ignores the reality that pretty much ALL Americans want it. Let's just reflect reality. It's not partisan. Address this specific issue and move on to others.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:52 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
I don't find this surprising whatsoever. Only people who don't have a good feel for the climate of the country would believe most people want open borders.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:54 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Trump is squarely in the center of the country's beliefs on immigration. Of that there is now doubt.... especially after a Harvard poll shows this stuff... I bet its even higher in reality.

Here is a little note for those of you on the left who are kind of wondering what's wrong with your party on this subject.
It wasn't so long ago that the Democrats were the ones calling for ending illegal immigration. Google Caesar Chavez. take a look at that guys stand on the subject. Dude was a leftist labor leader and most large towns have streets named after him. He was an important figure in the Latino community, the labor movement and in liberal politics. dude was death on illegal immigration. and was not really supportive of legal immigration from places like Mexico.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:56 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

The core issue I think comes looping in wall funding with DACA. I would rather the government take care of DACA independently since it is widely supported and most people agree on how it should be structured (similar to what you wrote above). Keep in mind - our government has been debating this DREAMER issue for nearly 20 years. It is about time to put this to rest and move on to other issues (including other issues relating to immigration).

When Republicans say things like "Democrats want DACA - we're going to make them work for it", it ignores the reality that pretty much ALL Americans want it. Let's just reflect reality. Address this specific issue and move on to others.
The poll shows that most people do not want just amnesty for DACA so give it up.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The poll shows that most people do not want just amnesty for DACA so give it up.
Who are you talking to exactly?

And did you even read the article?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...l-immigration/
Quote:
A Harvard-Harris poll taken in the run-up to the shutdown found Americans strongly support granting citizenship rights to illegal immigrant Dreamers.
Quote:
That is even bigger than the 77 percent to 23 percent margin that supports legalization for Dreamers.
Not surprising considering other polls, over many years, have shown the same thing. Americans want DACA to be addressed - and we need to. It is time to move on to other issues.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:01 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Trump is squarely in the center of the country's beliefs on immigration. Of that there is now doubt.... especially after a Harvard poll shows this stuff... I bet its even higher in reality.

Here is a little note for those of you on the left who are kind of wondering what's wrong with your party on this subject.
It wasn't so long ago that the Democrats were the ones calling for ending illegal immigration. Google Caesar Chavez. take a look at that guys stand on the subject. Dude was a leftist labor leader and most large towns have streets named after him. He was an important figure in the Latino community, the labor movement and in liberal politics. dude was death on illegal immigration. and was not really supportive of legal immigration from places like Mexico.
It seems all Democrats care about anymore is increasing their electorate. And what do they do with having a majority but overtax and overregulate everything and push for open borders and a bunch of other nutty policies.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:

The core issue I think comes looping in wall funding with DACA. I would rather the government take care of DACA independently since it is widely supported and most people agree on how it should be structured (similar to what you wrote above). Keep in mind - our government has been debating this DREAMER issue for nearly 20 years. It is about time to put this to rest and move on to other issues (including other issues relating to immigration).

When Republicans say things like "Democrats want DACA - we're going to make them work for it", it ignores the reality that pretty much ALL Americans want it. Let's just reflect reality. Address this specific issue and move on to others.
Sorry HockeyMac, you are wrong your thinking of Democrat proposals. And seriously why isn't there linkage between stopping more kids from being illegally brought here, and dealing with those who were brought here.... ILLEGALLY? That makes no sense.

The proposal that was brought to the president by Schumer, Dirty Dick Durban, Graham and Flake included the following:
less than 2 billion in boarder barrier spending (The requirement is 18 billion)
Granting citizenship to somewhere near 3 million people including the DACA group.
Giving specific Chain Migration rights to the DACA group that would basically give them the ability to get their parent citizenship in the US ( you know, the ones that illegally brought them here in the first place)
insuring Chain Migration specifically stays in place and is expanded.

Dirty Dick Durban even took to media outlets to suggest Mr. Trump was racist against black people for opposing "chain" migration because blacks were brought here in chains.

so no. Democrat proposes are NOT in line with republican proposals.... and based on the poll in question Democrat proposals are NOT in line with what Americans want.

And based on what Americans want, the democrats stand is not reasonable.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It seems all Democrats care about anymore is increasing their electorate. And what do they do with having a majority but overtax and overregulate everything and push for open borders and a bunch of other nutty policies.
no question about it. This is entirely about putting somewhere around 10 million voters on the roles that will break anywhere from 60-40 democat to 70 - 30 democrat.

That is enough to ensure democrats control America for the next few generations.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:18 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,144 times
Quote:
.....The core issue I think comes from looping in wall funding with DACA. I would rather the government take care of DACA independently since it is widely supported and most people agree on how it should be structured (similar to what you wrote above). Keep in mind - our government has been debating this DREAMER issue for nearly 20 years. It is about time to put this to rest and move on to other issues (including other issues relating to immigration).

When Republicans say things like "Democrats want DACA - we're going to make them work for it", it ignores the reality that pretty much ALL Americans want it. Let's just reflect reality. It's not partisan. Address this specific issue and move on to others.
Bunk. Support for "the Dreamers" is a mile wide and an inch deep. All depends how one phrases the questions:

1. Do you support Dreamers (who were brought here as children)? Cuddly question with teddy bears & unicorns. 80% yes.

2. Do you support Dreamers (if you knew they were 3 times as likely to commit a crime, join a gang & not graduate HS)? Down to 50/50 or even 60/40 against.

3. Do you support Dreamers (if you knew they were 3 times as likely to commit a crime, join a gang & not graduate HS).....AND if you knew that they (AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS) are FAR MORE LIKELY to Cost us 15K per year (or more) in Welfare benefits (Medicaid, SS benefits, SNAP, Section 8 housing etc.) Down to 80/20 Against (or higher).

The issue of Dreamers should not be decided without also deciding how to handle
(at the same time):

- chain migration
(eliminate it),
- Relatives of Dreamers currently taking welfare
(Deport them All, along with the Dreamers that are related to them),
- the lottery system
(Kill it)
- & E-Verify
(Initiate it and let's see some Perp Walks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies