Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:34 AM

183 posts, read 103,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
When you read blogs about legal immigration and illegal immigration than you can see that most Americans favor legal immigration but overal don't care too much for immigration issues.

This subject is a huge loss for the Democrats!

Every crime committed by an illegal is one too many and turns the entire family and friends of the victim against the illegal alien movement.

This also counts for car accidents where the victim doesn't get paid when an illegal has no insurance and is at fault or the other party is at fault and gets premium increase for hitting an illegal that never should have been here. The latter happened to someone I know and the entire family now made a 180 about their views of illegal aliens. All of them are Democrats and it took one car accident to now turn against that group as it is costing them money. The defense that they never could have hit the guy if he hadn't be here and is not allowed to be here didn't fly !

It is more difficult to gain one soul in favor of illegals than to loose a lot of support in a single second.
I support legal immigration to a small extent. Our country did fine for most of the 20th century with immigration around 200,000 a year. Then all os sudden the 1960s and Ted kennedy came along and the floodgates opened
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 12:27 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
WTF is the "Harvard-Harris Poll," anyway?

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...is-Poll-anyway

Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

I know this is a year old -- but it seems to be annual event for the Harvard Harris Poll --
https://caps.gov.harvard.edu/news/ca...ll-state-union

Old 01-25-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero99 View Post
This is from a harvard-harris poll. I have never met anyone who really wants large scale immigration in their communities. The politicians, both republican and democrats are very out of touch. This is one of the major issues that gave trump his shock election victory and trump knows it.

Deputy White House press secretary Hogan Gidley touted a Harvard Harris poll on Morning Edition Tuesday, saying that it showed Americans support the president's agenda.

"It's an 80-percent issue, people want to close down the borders," he told NPR's Rachel Martin. "It's a 70-percent issue to end chain migration. [A] 68-percent issue to end the visa lottery program and ask people to come here on merit. That's a 70-percent issue. And this is a study from Harvard."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...l-immigration/

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/23/58003...o-and-dont-say
You do realize your second link is just reporting on what the first link said. It isn't a supporting document -- it's just tleling you what the Washington Time reported.

And the Washington Time article failed to provide any links to the polls you are commenting on.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:40 PM

183 posts, read 103,832 times
Quote:

Quote:
You do realize your second link is just reporting on what the first link said. It isn't a supporting document -- it's just tleling you what the Washington Time reported.

And the Washington Time article failed to provide any links to the polls you are commenting on.
First of all, the poll is listed on the harvard web site .Home - Harvard CAPS / Harris Poll

Daily kos like npr, like yourself, just has problems with the findings, UC Berkeley found the same results about sanctuary cities and how many people oppose them and are angry about illegal immigration.

if anything the most surprising is how many people want restriction on even legal immigration

The poll also reveals that 60 percent of voters oppose giving preference to parents who illegally brought their children to the U.S. The Durbin-Graham no-strings DACA amnesty offered in the Senate would give amnesty to the parents.

The poll found that 81% of voters want to reduce legal immigration from its current level of more than 1 million per year, and 63% want it cut by at least half.

pdf of the poll http://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-cont...oters_XTab.pdf

Old 01-25-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
First of all, the poll is listed on the harvard web site .Home - Harvard CAPS / Harris Poll

Daily kos like npr, like yourself, just has problems with the findings, UC Berkeley found the same results about sanctuary cities and how many people oppose them and are angry about illegal immigration.

if anything the most surprising is how many people want restriction on even legal immigration

The poll also reveals that 60 percent of voters oppose giving preference to parents who illegally brought their children to the U.S. The Durbin-Graham no-strings DACA amnesty offered in the Senate would give amnesty to the parents.

The poll found that 81% of voters want to reduce legal immigration from its current level of more than 1 million per year, and 63% want it cut by at least half.

pdf of the poll http://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-cont...oters_XTab.pdf
I know I posted links -- I just was pointing out -- this poll is an annual poll -- and gave the link to the Harvard site.

Thanks anyways though.

I'm not surprised at all folks want restrictions on immigration. I've never met a Democrat that wants open borders or doesn't think there should be restrictions.

I have yet to see a written policy from the DNC advocating for open borders.

I think that many conservatives are misguided, misinformed in their views of what Democrats and anti-Trump folks are objecting to.

I think that the problem folks have had is Trump's TARGETING of SPECIFIC racial groups . But many refuse to acknowledge THAT part of the story.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:57 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Yet Lindsey graham thinks stephen miller is "out of touch" lol. These politicians , many of them republican,still dont understand trump voters and why he won.
I guarantee you that 90% of the kids Lindsey Graham went to elementary school with voted for Trump. And later he was in the military for 12 years, I believe. Unlike many of his colleagues, he did not live his life insulated from real working people. Lindsey's problem is something else.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:41 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Bunk. Support for "the Dreamers" is a mile wide and an inch deep. All depends how one phrases the questions:

1. Do you support Dreamers (who were brought here as children)? Cuddly question with teddy bears & unicorns. 80% yes.

2. Do you support Dreamers (if you knew they were 3 times as likely to commit a crime, join a gang & not graduate HS)? Down to 50/50 or even 60/40 against.

3. Do you support Dreamers (if you knew they were 3 times as likely to commit a crime, join a gang & not graduate HS).....AND if you knew that they (AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS) are FAR MORE LIKELY to Cost us 15K per year (or more) in Welfare benefits (Medicaid, SS benefits, SNAP, Section 8 housing etc.) Down to 80/20 Against (or higher).
You are absolutely right. I have anoother one for you:

4. Do you support Dreamers, knowing that if they remain in this country they will be entitled to preferential treatment in hiring, college admissions, and government contracting at the expense of native-born citizens?

What's the percentage then?

Old 01-25-2018, 01:43 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Polls are subjective but when the figures are in the high percentages as these are, makes you pay attention.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:50 PM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
This is from a harvard-harris poll. I have never met anyone who really wants large scale immigration in their communities. The politicians, both republican and democrats are very out of touch. This is one of the major issues that gave trump his shock election victory and trump knows it.

Deputy White House press secretary Hogan Gidley touted a Harvard Harris poll on Morning Edition Tuesday, saying that it showed Americans support the president's agenda.

"It's an 80-percent issue, people want to close down the borders," he told NPR's Rachel Martin. "It's a 70-percent issue to end chain migration. [A] 68-percent issue to end the visa lottery program and ask people to come here on merit. That's a 70-percent issue. And this is a study from Harvard."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...l-immigration/

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/23/58003...o-and-dont-say
The chain immigration issue has become hot, quickly. It was only a few months ago that it came to the forefront; most people did not realize the impact, whereby relatives of the new USA resident view immigration as a right.
And that leads to illegal immigration.
https://www.numbersusa.com/solutions...hain-migration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies