Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 04:40 PM

34,038 posts, read 17,050,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You misrepresent what I wrote. I never said some people who might fall under DACA have not (and will not) ever be deported.

I'm saying what Bob wants will never happen (all dreamers deported).
Actually I would support Trump's original deal. The Wall plus an end to chain migration (and I would add pass RAISE Act) and with all of that, I would be ok with allowing DACA kids w/o any record at all including a single misdemeanor, and who have paid taxes in full, on time, every year, with proof, to stay in America. I would allow them an additional 25 year path to citizenship, at which time they would be allowed to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 05:10 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
You misrepresent what I wrote. I never said some people who might fall under DACA have not (and will not) ever be deported.

I'm saying what Bob wants will never happen (all dreamers deported).
The real poll shows 50% of Americans don’t know the existence of the pathway to citizenship for the illegals.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-illegals.html

Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The real poll shows 50% of Americans don’t know the existence of the pathway to citizenship.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-illegals.html
What does this have to do with my comment (which is that deporting all dreamers is unrealistic and likely will not happen)?

And lol at claiming this is a valid poll of what "Americans" think.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:35 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,134 times
Excuse me. Logical and conservative and "pathway to citizenship for Dreamers" can't go together. More "Dreamer" citizens = millions of liberal Democrat votes.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:38 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with my comment (which is that deporting all dreamers is unrealistic and likely will not happen)?

And lol at claiming this is a valid poll of what "Americans" think.
Your poll is fake news.

Unrealistic? I can deport virtually all nightmarers with minimal cost to the taxpayers.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,316 times
Logical conservatives? Pshh. That’s an oxymoron.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:06 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post

So if it makes economic sense, it's the compassionate thing to do and a bunch of republicans already support a pathway to citizenship, why do so many republicans and Trump still oppose a pathway to citizenship for dreamers?

The only reasons I can think of is that they're racist or not terribly bright.. or both.
I am a libertarian who is conservative on some issues. I am neither a racist nor dumb IMHO.

You seem like you don't understand how one becomes a citizen and the current legal status of DACA recipients. They cannot leapfrog from visa holders to citizen. So I don't know what you are talking about.

Most have a visa at the moment. Similar to what Mexican Nationals get when they visit the united states. I am fine with DACA recipients being upgraded to a green card status. They get to renew it every 10 years or so.

I think giving them green cards is a good compromise from the far right that wants to deport them and the far left that wants to make the citizens.

I don't see any reason to make them citizens. I know people who moved here years ago and have a green card and have no interests in being a citizen. Nothing really changes except being able to vote and get more public assistance. You can work, go to school, collect social security and do whatever you want as a green card holder. And as a green card holder they cannot sponsor others to move here. Which is an issue to some people. And if they get into trouble and go to prison you can deport a green card holder, not usually a citizen.

There is no positive economic sense to granting DACA recipients citizenship. None.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:21 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,869,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I am a libertarian who is conservative on some issues. I am neither a racist nor dumb IMHO.

You seem like you don't understand how one becomes a citizen and the current legal status of DACA recipients. They cannot leapfrog from visa holders to citizen. So I don't know what you are talking about.

Most have a visa at the moment. Similar to what Mexican Nationals get when they visit the united states. I am fine with DACA recipients being upgraded to a green card status. They get to renew it every 10 years or so.

I think giving them green cards is a good compromise from the far right that wants to deport them and the far left that wants to make the citizens.

I don't see any reason to make them citizens. I know people who moved here years ago and have a green card and have no interests in being a citizen. Nothing really changes except being able to vote and get more public assistance. You can work, go to school, collect social security and do whatever you want as a green card holder. And as a green card holder they cannot sponsor others to move here. Which is an issue to some people. And if they get into trouble and go to prison you can deport a green card holder
, not usually a citizen.

There is no positive economic sense to granting DACA recipients citizenship. None.
Agree it is the best and fairest compromise . In exchange for not deporting the illegals and as a separate issue, I still want the wall since even legalization will draw more illegal immigration. And a reduction to legal immigration that leads to citizenship.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Your poll is fake news.
LOL...ok.

Quote:
Unrealistic? I can deport virtually all nightmarers with minimal cost to the taxpayers.
Deporting all Dreamers will never fly politically. It just won't. Notice that no plan is discussing that?

You guys need to move on from this unrealistic fantasy.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

I don't see any reason to make them citizens. I know people who moved here years ago and have a green card and have no interests in being a citizen. Nothing really changes except being able to vote and get more public assistance. You can work, go to school, collect social security and do whatever you want as a green card holder. And as a green card holder they cannot sponsor others to move here. Which is an issue to some people. And if they get into trouble and go to prison you can deport a green card holder, not usually a citizen.

A reasonable solution is to make their residency status legal, assuming they meet the requirements of the DACA program. Once legal, they can pursue whatever citizenship paths that any other legal resident can, likely many years or decades down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies