Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 05:34 PM

1,705 posts, read 538,736 times

Advertisements

Costs would increase because everybody would have to be covered, and then individuals would never have to purchase insurance again.

What would the savings be for all Americans from not purchasing insurance again?
Then include savings to Corporations, since they pay most of the insurance.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:54 PM

1,705 posts, read 538,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Hi

And i stated, if it was one thing like that higher tax rate you mentioned i would be fine. You seemed to have forgotten about close to 3x higher gas prices, 14% food tax, 25% sales tax...all that added together is a lot of increased cost.

Do you agree with the article that i posted , that your cost of living is 59% higher than ours ? I'm assuming the article took averages since it varies across the country.

I am not sure if costs of living is 59% higher.
Seems like there are few items that drive that up.

Depends on the city you live in the US. But Norway seems to be more expensive in your link.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:35 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
We don't need help from the government, it's basic capitalism: people purchase insurance, and if that company doesn't pay out and people get killed or crippled from their insurance refusing to pay, they'll spend their money elsewhere.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:37 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
We don't need help from the government, it's basic capitalism: people purchase insurance, and if that company doesn't pay out and people get killed or crippled from their insurance refusing to pay, they'll spend their money elsewhere.
If people get killed from their insurance refusing to pay then how do these dead people spend their money elsewhere?

Old 02-06-2018, 06:05 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Pre ACA when most states allowed insurers to impose annual or lifetime caps on claims.

Guaranteed issue, the annual cap on out of pocket expenses which includes the deductible and the elimination of the annual/ lifetime cap on claim are major improvements.

Those states that chose to operate High Risk Pools excluded millions and did so by design. Depending on state, certain conditions were excluded, claims were capped, premiums were unaffordable for most and most applicants never cleared the Wait Lists. At peak, only 200,000 people were covered by state High Risk Pools and most states did not offer them.
My comments go back to me saying medical companies aggressively use hard core collection agencies. I talked to Mr 6K last night as he is my supervisor. The garnishment happened roughly 6 months after the event. The collection agencies try the usual methods before that then just send the leftovers to a judge who signs a stack of garnishments at a time. He found out literally when they started taking the check with no legal warning beyond the threatening "you are 6 months late" letters.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
What if you get fired?
This is one of the most important reasons for having single payer. If you get laid off, you are given the option to continue your coverage, but at full cost. Most people cannot afford the full cost. My current employer only charges $450/mo for family coverage if you are employed, but the actual cost is about $1500/mo.

Europeans find it insane that health insurance is linked to your job. I do too.

Will your taxes go up with single payer? Yes. People who get comped insurance from their employer will be unhappy, but those who pay $1000+ per month for family coverage will be relieved as the tax increase will likely be less than the monthly premium.

And the best thing about having single payer is it eliminates this whole stupid system of billing $20K for a procedure, but the insurance company only pays $5K.

Can't wait for this dumb system to die.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:53 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
This is one of the most important reasons for having single payer. If you get laid off, you are given the option to continue your coverage, but at full cost. Most people cannot afford the full cost. My current employer only charges $450/mo for family coverage if you are employed, but the actual cost is about $1500/mo.

Europeans find it insane that health insurance is linked to your job. I do too.
WW II wage controls (1942 Stabilization Act) and the IRS tax break (1954) are the two main reasons health insurance became permanently affixed to employment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Can't wait for this dumb system to die.
Yep, government solving an earlier screw up with a more current, even bigger screw up. What could possibly go wrong?

Old 02-06-2018, 01:39 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Yep, government solving an earlier screw up with a more current, even bigger screw up. What could possibly go wrong?
How do you propose fixing the current system without government interaction? The system is so broken that government interaction is the only way to fix it. Insurance companies, medical supply companies, and hospitals have already shown their true colors.

Did you forget the pre-ACA days where insurance companies would do anything in their power to deny you coverage? If you got sick and needed expensive procedures, they'd dig through years of medical history to try and find a reason to deny the claim. And good luck getting new coverage if you were already sick.

The government definitely has a history of screwing things up, but large corporations also have the same history, just worse.

No idea why so many people in this country trust corporations whose sole purpose is to profit off of sick people.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There is huge money in medicine. Office, hospital, Insurance, Pharma and devices. Problem is overheads cut way into the earnings.

My office overhead is worse than 50%, since I'm cutting back. Most docs will no longer go private, just get hired by hospitals.

Hospitals make huge money in the outpatient departments, but don't do as well inpatient. If they don't profit, they go under without central supports.

Pharma and devices are very variable.

But fraud? Sure there is fraud here and there, but not the norm. I would not allow that in our practice or hospital.

IMO we will be going towards UHC moving forward whether we go more centrally controlled or private sector. Be careful about carving out all the private sector and profit motives. We will lose on timeliness and convenience. Medicare works so well because it is centrally controlled but privately delivered. We docs and hospitals don't make much profit on Medicare as it is.

An American plan has to included choices. Choices for both patients and docs. And it has to be convenient enough. We do not like to wait or travel for care!
My Neighborhood is crawling with MDs, given proximity to a local hospital, a part of a large healthcare system.

Every MD I know on a personal basis supports Universal Healthcare ( a human right) with central control and delivered by the private sector.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:15 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My Neighborhood is crawling with MDs, given proximity to a local hospital, a part of a large healthcare system.

Every MD I know on a personal basis supports Universal Healthcare ( a human right) with central control and delivered by the private sector.
I participate on SERMO a large doc oriented blog. Of course there could be all sorts of bias, but many if not most on the forum do not support single payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies