Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:36 PM

20,836 posts, read 8,662,760 times

Advertisements

Sounds like more Deep State obstruction.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,721,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
So, it is possible that is how Porter was able to continue to work in a job requiring Top security clearance without actually having top security clearance.

I also want to add that I'm sure this has happened in other administrations, not just the Trump administration, but given some of the issues the current President has had to address with his team, it might have been wise to be extra, extra dilligent about dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's with regards to security clearances.
Especially when it involved the abuse of women - something the Trump administration is somewhat famous for (Trumps statements, life, tapes, etc.)...

Old 02-08-2018, 09:25 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,337,675 times
Quote:
I'm not excusing anyone for domestic abuse, mind you. It is horrible.

But, frankly, I'm more concerned with why someone who was in a position requiring permanent TOP security clearance was allowed to remain in the position without it.

That, and also that apparently no one who he reported to was informed he hadn't gotten his permanent security clearance yet.

I could accept that maybe Pres. Trump wasn't aware of the importance of that, but General Kelly has had been supervising folks with varying levels of clearances his entire military career so he should have been aware.

Guess maybe there's some leeway when you work in the White House.
That really bothers me too. But I don't believe it's true that no one was informed he hadn't gotten permanent security clearance. They just didn't care just like they don't care that Trump's son-in-law still doesn't have his.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:28 PM

20,700 posts, read 12,575,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
What kind of man is this ! He needs to take a lesson from Trump and let THEM spank you with a Forbes Magazine !

This administration gets funnier by the day.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:29 PM

8,410 posts, read 7,693,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Porter was hired 6 months before Kelly became Chief of Staff.

Porter worked for Orrin Hatch before that and reportedly went to school with Jared.

Reportedly, Kelly became aware of the allegations last fall. He may or may not have grasped the seriousness and pattern.
General Kelly has had to deal with security clearances and personnel who have security clearance issues for almost his entire military career.

I'm willing to buy that President Trump may not have grasped the seriousness of Porter not passing his security screening, but General Kelly should have known better.

(This assumes that there isn't some huge delay in everyone in the WH getting their top security clearances. If that's the case, we have bigger problems than Porter. )

Old 02-08-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
It may explain another reason why POTUS attacking DOJ. They found out about his back ground and did not give him security clearance. POTUS might have wanted another person who was being black mailed by the Russians.
Interestingly, elected officials, including the President and members of the Senate and Congress, do not go through the security clearance screening process (See, for example: https://news.clearancejobs.com/2016/...president-get/)

Yet they have access to, use, and discuss classified information all the time.

That alone boggles my mind.

Think of how much classified information the Senate Intelligence Committee alone has access to, not to mention the President himself. It's amazing that there is no structure in place to minimize the risk that such information couldn't be misused for partisan or more nebulous purposes.

Again, this issue isn't limited to the Trump Administration. Who knows how many people in other administrations worked on "temporary" security clearances for lengthy periods of time.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,830,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The Trump administration doesn’t get why y’all have a problem with a guy beating his wife.
Quote:
General Kelly has had to deal with security clearances and personnel who have security clearance issues for almost his entire military career.

I'm willing to buy that President Trump may not have grasped the seriousness of Porter not passing his security screening, but General Kelly should have known better.

(This assumes that there isn't some huge delay in everyone in the WH getting their top security clearances. If that's the case, we have bigger problems than Porter. )
There very well could be that some in the WH don't have their top security clearances. However, given all the degenerates now on the WH staff, it might be that they can not meet the required standards for security clearances.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
There very well could be that some in the WH don't have their top security clearances. However, given all the degenerates now on the WH staff, it might be that they can not meet the required standards for security clearances.
True. Apparently Jared Kushner has "amended" his top security clearance application 39 times.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:55 PM

Some info on how the security clearance process was handled in previous administrations:

Laura Terrell, an attorney who worked in the White House Clearance Counsel during the George W. Bush Administration from 2004 to 2005, told TIME that if Porter was applying for a clearance he would have probably to disclose a 2010 protective order from his second wife, Jennifer Willoughby, in response to the question about public record civil court action, because in Virginia, a protective order is issued in a civil proceeding.

“It seems clear the form calls for that,” she wrote in an e-mail. Leaving this information off the form, she explained, would have been a “serious omission.”

If authorities were following protocol, Terrell said, that disclosure would have been sent to the White House Counsel’s office. Based on her experiences reviewing security clearance applications, she said it is highly likely that approval would have gone even higher up the chain, to the chief of staff — which would have been Reince Priebus or Kelly depending on when the information was received — for further consideration.

Shah declined to say what Kelly knew about the allegations, only stating that he became fully aware this week after he saw the photos of Porter’s first wife, Colbie Holderness, with a black eye.

But Terrell said that it was already unusual that even a temporary clearance would have been accepted.

“I don’t think it would have happened in the Bush White House. I think that that would have raised enough concerns that someone would not have been granted a provisional clearance,” she said. “I just don’t see that it would have been something accepted in the White House that I worked in.”

Rob Porter Resignation: Did He Have a Security Clearance? | Time

Old 02-09-2018, 01:12 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 27 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,614,519 times
After all these posts, i'll simply say ....

GOOD!!

If more abusers meet the same fate, then men and especially boys will think twice before abusing others. This is the best way to deal with narcissists and psychopathic leaders - stigmatized these acts so harshly it makes even smoking cigarettes positively sex by comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies