Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
This is a pathetic infrastructure bill
details please
So much for making America great again

Get ready for more trains to run off the rails
Details and facts please
Can you give some backbone to your claims, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 11:08 AM

8,392 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Uh huh..

I remember ALOT of "SCHEMES" from former Presidents..

We were lied to by Obummer for 8 years, yet you act like Trump making a promise that congress wont budge on is some new concept...At least Trump is trying to keep his promises..Obarfo? Yeah..not so much..
Personally, I didn't like Obama's infrastructure plan either. Or, for that matter, Bush's or Clinton's.

That's one of the problems I see with large infrastructure plans. Every President seems to propose one and tout it as a miracle cure for creating jobs.

Yet, if these plans truly created PERMANENT jobs then why the heck does the next President, and the next President, and the next President need to propose yet another infrastructure plan that they tout as creating jobs?

I mean, shouldn't the jobs already have been created from the LAST spending plan if they're permanent ones?

Don't get me wrong: I think the government (Federal, state, local) does have to cover a certain amount of infrastructure maintenance to keep the country running. So, I don't have a problem with a certain amount of infrastructure spending being part of the annual Federal budget; it should be (Although I'd prefer to see it be part of a balanced budget, but I long ago gave up hope for that).

But, none of these MANY separate plans have seemed to create many PERMANENT jobs.

So, in that sense, touting "Federal infrastructure spending creates jobs" is sort of like Federal welfare.

It just creates dependency on Federal hand outs, and taxpayers are left holding the bag for the bill.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Power lines, at least the central core of the system, have to remain above ground for technical reasons which the lesser-educated part of the public refuses to acknowledge, and this is going to be a problem whenever complicated issues are turned over to an ignorant, self-centered public, and the unscrupulous politicians who pander to them.

This sort of thing is going to happen over and over again when the whims of those who can't tell "hard science" from "junk science"are given an unrealistic priority.
The main lines do not cause the outages, the local ones do. The power companies have considered moving them underground, and a good part already is.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:14 AM

8,392 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Decent article. One thing I'd add is if the states did something like the TVA did and add "WorkFare" requirements this infrastructure bill could reduce the homeless,underemployed and welfare roles. This could teach some people new skills in jobs that cannot be automated into extinction.
Interesting idea. How would it work?

Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,149,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Can you give some backbone to your claims, please?
You can just click the back button and check page 7 for all of that

Old 02-12-2018, 01:29 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
If anyone is actually interested in reading the proposal you can find the full length version here:

Trump infrastructure plan details, bill - Business Insider

Of particular interest to me is the section on adjusting Federal Financial Aid programs. That section begins on page 51.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on that section. I may just be misunderstanding certain portions.

So, if anyone has a moment to look through it, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
This is a summary from another site:

"The White House outline calls for allowing Pell Grants be used to fund short-term programs that lead to a credential or certification in an in-demand field “where there are shortages of qualified workers." Funding should be used to promote and expand apprenticeships, as well as to “fast-track programs that prepare high school graduates for jobs rebuilding America’s infrastructure,” the White House said."

More tolls, workforce development included in infrastructure | Fleet Owner

I'm all for that plan as I think we rely too much on college degrees these days. I think THAT's one reason why college costs are so out of control! I think more high school kids should be encouraged to come out and learn a trade (and get some financial help in pursuit of it!) and not be pressured into going to college when they aren't ready or don't know better. Too often kids go straight to college because it seems like the right thing to do but don't even know what major to select. How do we expect an 18 yo to know what he/she wants to do the rest of his/her life? I know I didn't pursue a Business Admin job even though I graduated with that degree.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:23 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Wait, why should we even be dealing with this? Didn't Obama and his shovel ready stimulus take care of this?

Oh, nope sorry, he laughed directly in your faces....and the left cheered....
Points accepted. Obama indeed should have done more to repair infrastructure.

Or, do I perhaps recall a GOP Congress which refused to pass any bills?

Old 02-12-2018, 02:31 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
This is a summary from another site:

"The White House outline calls for allowing Pell Grants be used to fund short-term programs that lead to a credential or certification in an in-demand field “where there are shortages of qualified workers." Funding should be used to promote and expand apprenticeships, as well as to “fast-track programs that prepare high school graduates for jobs rebuilding America’s infrastructure,” the White House said."

More tolls, workforce development included in infrastructure | Fleet Owner

I'm all for that plan as I think we rely too much on college degrees these days. I think THAT's one reason why college costs are so out of control! I think more high school kids should be encouraged to come out and learn a trade (and get some financial help in pursuit of it!) and not be pressured into going to college when they aren't ready or don't know better. Too often kids go straight to college because it seems like the right thing to do but don't even know what major to select. How do we expect an 18 yo to know what he/she wants to do the rest of his/her life? I know I didn't pursue a Business Admin job even though I graduated with that degree.
College costs are out of control because the government guarantees the loans and they're not easy to discharge in bankruptcy. Change that, and school would cost a lot less.

I spent 6 years working on a bachelors. Every time I thought I figured out what I wanted to do, I was wrong and had to change. Finally finished simply because I had enough so I graduated with what I could quickest with what I had. Don't need the piece of paper anyhow. Personally think all kids should do some sort of civil service program for a couple years after high school. Get out and see the world, serve your country, and then they can have their education paid for.

We do need more tradesmen. I'm dying over here trying to hire more carpenters. Shortage of plumbers, electricians, etc. Many of whom make more than someone fresh out of college with just journeymans license.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:12 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Points accepted. Obama indeed should have done more to repair infrastructure.

Or, do I perhaps recall a GOP Congress which refused to pass any bills?
The stimulus was never paid for? Recall what you'd like, but if you remember, when obama laughed in your face, the money was there...that's why he and his entire panel laughed....

Old 02-12-2018, 04:13 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
College costs are out of control because the government guarantees the loans and they're not easy to discharge in bankruptcy. Change that, and school would cost a lot less.

I spent 6 years working on a bachelors. Every time I thought I figured out what I wanted to do, I was wrong and had to change. Finally finished simply because I had enough so I graduated with what I could quickest with what I had. Don't need the piece of paper anyhow. Personally think all kids should do some sort of civil service program for a couple years after high school. Get out and see the world, serve your country, and then they can have their education paid for.

We do need more tradesmen. I'm dying over here trying to hire more carpenters. Shortage of plumbers, electricians, etc. Many of whom make more than someone fresh out of college with just journeymans license.
College cost the same whether you have government loans or pay cash....ask me how I know.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies