Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
The shop that sold Cruz the (non assault but living being killing purpose) rifle has closed down. He did purchase it legally.
Gee, I wonder why that happened? Could it be the attacks from (Anti) social media? Could it be threats on the owners life? Hmmm, what could it be.

Quote:
They are scared, not for their safety or not just for their safety, but more importantly for how the reaction is going to be from the rest of the community when they try to re-enter it."
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018...2571518791599/

Social media will be the death of us all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:32 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,575 times
I don't really care about stereotypes of gun owners. I just care that we have too many mass shootings, and high rates of gun violence and homicides for a rich, developed country.

I want to know what we can DO. I think step 1 is let's get rid of the Dickey Amendment. Since all-out confiscation is unrealistic, let's at the very least actually have some research performed on whether there are gun regulations that do work. Guns are legal in Canada, yet they manage to have less violence than we do.

My problem with this discussion as that one side always wants to take any discussion of rules or regulations completely off the table before the discussion can even begin. THAT's what's frustrating to me. Yes, mental health is important. But no one is ever willing to do anything on that front either.

A reasonable second step after Dickey Amendment repeal is to have laws regulating gun ownership taken away from control of the states. For example, laws requiring safe storage requirements should be implemented federally, and there should be harsh punishments for noncompliance. Just one idea.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
I was thinking about going to the range today but my trip 3 hours outside my home yesterday went longer than I thought and I just got back.

In my car, with my 1911 and my -15.

Because, after all, it is a long stretch of lonely highway with beautiful country side. Given the world we live in, the actual world we live in, why is it so strange to some that someone would travel like that?

But I wonder for years ago when I traveled to a similar destination, my young nephew (then, he is now in the service) was surprised that I always travel with a rifle while his mother said she always expected me to travel with extra fire power (she didn't say a rifle).

Quote:
...... and we need titles and registrations for guns nationally, just like cars. ........
A correction (before we even get into the Constitution).

As a nation, we register cars, but we don't do car registrations nationally.

That is handled, usually, at the county level.....................

................................and Lord knows, there would be serious screams from many County Tax Assessors if they suddenly saw that tax money going to the national government.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-18-2018 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
My first time going to a gun range changed my perception on guns with a total 180!

I was against guns and couldn't understand anyone who had one until I went to the gun range.

Since then we have gone many more times and bought multiple guns to practice.

!
That’s the problem with guns. Even at the range, the feeling of it feeds an impressionable ego, makes it 50 times bigger because you know you have a machine designed to kill in your hands shooting it at a range. You realize at any moment you can use that to take someone’s life, because you know, that’s what it’s designed for, some people are actually looking forward to taking a life in the right circumstance. You see these people all over comments sections and right wing message boards, but no one calls them mentally ill.
It’s all ego that would rather see kids killed than taking away the guns.
I’m glad my swelled ego for my 8 cylinder car isn’t under fire.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
A correction (before we even get into the Constitution).

As a nation, we register cars, but we don't do car registrations nationally.

That is handled, usually, at the county level.....................

................................and Lord knows, there would be serious screams from many County Tax Assessors if they suddenly saw that tax money going to the national government.
I understand what you mean, but that’s where the laws need to be changed in this case and the guns need to be fully registered with titles into a national database. Doesn’t matter if it’s handled nationally or locally. I would think nationally would be better also no one has to check the competency of local governments. Right now there are kangaroo courts jailing innocent people across the nation because local governments are cutting corners on proper justice processes and going unchecked.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:56 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
That’s the problem with guns. Even at the range, the feeling of it feeds an impressionable ego, makes it 50 times bigger because you know you have a machine designed to kill in your hands shooting it at a range. You realize at any moment you can use that to take someone’s life, because you know, that’s what it’s designed for, some people are actually looking forward to taking a life in the right circumstance. You see these people all over comments sections and right wing message boards, but no one calls them mentally ill.
Well, that is your impression.......it is not mine.

What do I feel? That I am a professional, that if called on, I can be of service to the State.

Personally, probably the closest I have come to killing someone was being part of a SAM crew but we never fired in anger.

Ever seen a sniper training manual? There are nice lists of what one can do with a precise shot. Sure, there are the people list such as the opposing sniper, the scout, the dog team, the officer, the NCO, the radio operator, etc but there is also the mechanics of it such as the radio, the optics on the tank, the engines, and so forth.

One of my scenarios when I first got the -10 was, in concept mind you, "You are out on desert patrol and you come across a drug plane loading site. What is your target selection?"

The answer came down to putting more rounds into their transportation (before you hauled tail out of there) and less into them. Rounds into the plane's engines, into their trucks, into their burros. Why? Because it is a harsh environment and you want to intensify that against them, reduce their efficiency of travel so they have other things to think about besides chasing you.

But, C'est la vie. That is what makes horse races.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:09 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
More right-wing pandering.

Look, the painful reality is among gun-owners I know - including family, and I sure as hell didn't grow up in a "liberal" environment - there are two types of people.

- Sane gun owners: I'm fine with these folks. They own a few weapons, keep them locked away safely when not in use, and never mouth off about how "the real point of a gun is to kill people in the government" or some crap. They also generally don't even broadcast that they own a gun because their ego isn't wrapped up in their ability to take the life of another.

- Gun nuts: We all know the type. They own an arsenal, including room-clearing weapons designed not for hunting or defense but rather to kill as many people as possible in a short amount of time. These are also the types who are usually spouting off right-wing propaganda and bigotry, and they truly believe a key use of a gun is basically kill people they don't like: the government, various minorities, etc. They also believe anyone should be allowed to own whatever weapon they want, no questions asked; they also are usually the same people who think the law should dictate which consenting adults can marry, what religion you can support, and if you should be allowed to kneel during the national anthem. These types are dangerous and cannot be trusted to create our nations laws.

So, enough with the right-wing propaganda. When progressives - or any sane person - takes a stand against guns, they are not picking a fight with responsible gun owners; they are challenging the gun nuts on their dystopic dreams of a society where violence is plentiful and life is cheap all so they can feel like "big men" because of their guns.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:16 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
The bold part is particularly true.

I worked with a bunch of right-wing lunatics like that some years back. One was a convicted felon, so he couldn't get all the guns he wanted to "kill those people who needed killing." By his own words, that was blacks, gays, Muslims, the government, and basically anyone who disagreed with him. The other old violent nut in that department was "Kloset KKK" member, was openly proud of his grandfather's membership in the Klan, and once brought a gun to work just to show it off?! He also, of course, wanted to use his guns to kill all those minorities, the government... oh, and I think Japanese people were on that list, too, because of WW2... yeah, total violent lunatics. And yet we're going to pretend these types who openly WANT to kill should be allowed to own guns? Come on!

I'll top this off with one last story from this past week. I saw a car with a bumper-sticker that listed "things to do." What was the list? Well, it included "pray" and "buy more ammo." Seriously? Because mixing religion and weapons always turns out well? Because Jesus liked to shoot people? I bet that clown considers himself a patriot, but if we changed it to "pray to Allah" and "buy more ammo," he'd suddenly be a terrorist and we'd need to bomb some random nation full of brown people to make up for it?!

It is laughably absurd that people who wear their desire to murder on their sleeve should be allowed to own weapons. There is no sane way to justify that.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:20 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Give up their GUNS, a criminal a person who by their very actions is breaking the law in the first place, what is one more law going to do or make any difference about.

The only way you are going to get the criminal element to give up their guns is a door to door confiscation; and that action I guarantee you will start a CIVIL WAR:

Stricter punishment for crimes committed with the use of a gun and enforcement of the already existing 20K laws already on the books is a really good start.
Well, it's hard to punish criminals who kill themselves during the event. That's where see something say something would help. Plus get the FBI to do their jobs.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:41 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
NRA!NRA!NRA!
IT IS ALL THE NRA'S FAULT!
Well, no...
What about those gun owners who abhor the NRA, and belong to the GOA (Gun Owners of America) instead?
What about the gun aficionados who belong to The Shooting Sports Federation?
what about the members of many other gun clubs?
What about the "Lone Wolf, No Club" gun owners who aren't members of any group?
ALL of the above write their Federal Representatives stating their opinions on gun control legislation. Keep in mind that the latest membership figures I saw for the NRA claimed about 3 million members, out of the hundreds of millions of gun owners. Seems to me the non-aligned gun owners have a lot more political clout than NRA members!
But, the NRA makes a convenient whipping boy.
No, I am not an NRA member. I can write my congresscritters on my own to voice my opinion relating to so-called "common sense" gun laws. So far, all I have seen is emotion-driven proposals, none of which is likely to stop the next person who wants to hurt society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies