Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 07:06 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Then you are against women being full time stay at home moms. That is what the OP was saying, yet feminists are denying they are against it. That is not true, they are against it for those reasons and more. They want all women in the workforce and children in institutionalized care, because they don't trust men.

That is an absurd blanket statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 07:12 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I know we should've sent the woman out to fight in the war, and when and if they came back, let the men keep their jobs if they didn't want to quit and be house husbands.

Feminist are haters of the male sex and fairness and good sense.
What a totally untrue and ridiculous statement. True feminism is all about fairness to both sexes. because there is nothing more fair than fathers assuming child-rearing duties (at least part time) just as there is nothing more fair than allowing women to pursue careers outside the home if they choose to do so.

Jeebus, it's amazing how many posters who are commenting on the "traditional housewives of the 1950s and 1960s" weren't even around then to observe them first hand, or be one either. As a child of the 50s, I grew up in a "traditional" household and even had one myself when first married. My mother, a child of the Depression, went to work part-time (at first) to get some money that was hers alone - that she didn't have to ask my father for. It absolutely galled her to not have any financial independence. Although she maintained a very "50s style" home (except for the opera singing hobby), she was also bored with the endless rota of cleaning and cooking (and boy, did she have a schedule. Every day had an allotted household chore). She was thrilled to get a part time retail job, and later (before my Dad got sick) work full time in medical supplies, same as my Dad. She even became certified to fit colostomy bags, which was a difficult job. Having a job to return to saved her emotionally after she cared for my Dad 24/7 for 2 years when he was dying from ALS. Work can be a haven for women just as much as keeping a home and raising children - one is not superior to the other, and they both can have value at different times in a woman's life.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:18 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I never said that they should FOCUS on them.

What I have said repeatedly if you've been reading my posts, is that since people here keep repeating that being a wife and a mother is perfectly acceptable and supported by feminists everywhere ... name ONE feminist organization that does so.

Just one. That supports single mothers, abortions, working women and married moms.

And not one organization does.

Are you saying that women don't know abortions are available? Or that they can get jobs? Or have a baby and be a single mom? So feminist organization have to focus on that because women are so dumb that they don't know about those 3 things?

If feminism truly supports marriage and moms, where is the SUPPORT?
Support how. Its been repeated over and over if you have been reading that feminist organizations support choice. Choice to marry, choice to be a mother, choice to work, choice to make your own decision concerning your reproduction.

No I did not say women don't know about abortions. I said the choice to marry and be a mother has never been an adversity women have faced.

The right to birth control, to safe abortions, to single parenthood, child support, poverty, education, equal pay, jobs/careers have been or continue to be areas in which women face difficulties and opposition.

Again, what support. How are feminist organizations suppose to support marriage and moms specifically. They support issues wives and mothers face.
The national partnership for women and families
Look at some issues NOW is active in concerning mothers and families, same sex marriage, alimony, custody and child support and child care issues.

I think you are just not wanting to see what some actual feminists organizations are doing for married mothers.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's ridiculous for you to try to take away from men's valor and sacrifice and the debt owed to them by claiming something that didn't really happen or was of no significance to promote your gender.
How does the fact that women fought along side of men take anything away from men? BOTH men and women have fought with valor and have sacrificed and there is a debt owed to to ANY who have fought.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:22 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How does the fact that women fought along side of men take anything away from men? BOTH men and women have fought with valor and have sacrificed and there is a debt owed to to ANY who have fought.
Please! How dare you refute a false premise with logic and truth?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
If it was so great, one wonders why more men aren’t clamoring to get a gig like it. I was the higher earner when I was married and my husband was given the opportunity to be a SAHP. He declined.

I lived through that time. I decided to work. Dependency is not attractive to everyone.
Exactly.
There are lots of men who have the opportunity to be a SAHP but few of them want to. I know two men who went on about being a SAH when their higher earner wives were pregnant. One lasted a year the other not that long. Apparently it want what they thought it was.

I know there are men who do it and love just as there are women who do and love it. Others not so much. Whatever works for the family. At least today many families have a choice in their family/work dynamics.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:41 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
So did some of the women working in the factories. My grandmother worked for decades in the Keebler cracker factory in Philadelphia because her husband had a brain injury and "treated" the resulting pain with booze. She was the sole support for the family. Should she have given up her job for a returning serviceman instead?
Not if she wasn't a temporary war worker. Many women have had to work all their lives as sole support but during the war some women specifically entered the work force for the first time to take the place of men who were hopefully coming back. Married women who didn't have to work post war, did not need to be taking these men's jobs as they returned home. Nice welcome that would be.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Of course, but now no one except the rich can do it. Back then, it was "possible" to have some extras on one income. Now lower and middle income couples have to live very frugally to live on one income. I know some people are even resentful that at one time a factory worker could comfortably support a family. Like that was a bad thing because somewhere a woman whined about being bored at home.
My mother, as most mothers when I was growing up, was a SAHM. We still lived pretty frugally then. We had one car, got new clothes once a year, rarely ate out. We didn't have cell phones and tablets, wifi, cable or streaming, etc.
Within the last year two of our employees quit after having babies to be a SAHM. They are definitely not rich but as has been mentioned after calculating cost of childcare and time off for child related issues it would not have benefited financially for them to continue to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The stigma associated with it, is one thing.

My wife is the breadwinner in our house and I was a stay at home father for 18 months and loved it. Now back at work, but my wife actively encourages me to quit.

As a stay at home dad, you seem to be constantly scrutinised, by people (usually women) who scuffle up and ask if you are the childs farther, where is mum etc. The social security departments here almost fail to belive you exist. Even my wife has openly stated she does not want any man other than me looking after our daughter.

Activily encouraging men to work with small children, would actually do quite a bit to help the feminst cause. However its something that seems to be mostly ignored.
I'm sure it is similar to the stigma that was associated with mothers working in the 1950's and 1960's. I agree men should be encouraged to work with small children if that is what they wish to do. They should be encouraged and supported if they choose to be a SAHD. But its not the responsibility of feminist organizations to take up men's causes. First men must take up their own causes and I'd bet feminist groups would be on board to support such things.

Quote:
Then you are against women being full time stay at home moms. That is what the OP was saying, yet feminists are denying they are against it. That is not true, they are against it for those reasons and more. They want all women in the workforce and children in institutionalized care, because they don't trust men.

Bull. No one is against women who wish to be SAHMs. You can be a feminist and a wife and a mother and a SAHM.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Because women could not own property, have their own credit file, make money so they could take care of themselves and their kids if they lost a spouse, were in an abusive marriage, etc.

“The good, old days” were not always good.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:37 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
uh, they want choice. It is their CHOICE, a choice discussed and decided upon by both parents. For me personally I choose to never depend on someone else. As I said, when one person is given power over others that power can and will be abused.

I don't understand why people so easily allow themselves to be dependent on others. When you do you are at someone else's whim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies