Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 11:34 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The problem is, those unions are allowed to donate to and campaign for those very same elected officials. It's an incestious situation where the elected officials buy the support of the unions with taxpayer dollars. And not just those of the current taxpayers-they make agreements to unions that obligate generations of taxpayers to provide pathetically generous benefits that no private sector employee in a comparable job sees. This situation is bankrupting many cities and entire states, with promises that taxpayers can not pay.

IF public sector unions are allowed to exist, at the very least the obvious conflict of interest of donations, support and endorsement of elected officials HAS to end. Someone has to represent the taxpayers.
So what? Corporations donate billions to politicians to make sure that the minimum wage isn't increased and that they get huge tax breaks So called 'non-profits' grease the palms of politicians to make sure that they support their agenda, whether it's gun control, abortion, or any one of a number of other issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 12:18 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
The problem is, those unions are allowed to donate to and campaign for those very same elected officials. It's an incestious situation where the elected officials buy the support of the unions with taxpayer dollars. .
Great point.

I am optimistic that will be far less a problem soon.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:25 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So what? Corporations donate billions to politicians to make sure that the minimum wage isn't increased and that they get huge tax breaks So called 'non-profits' grease the palms of politicians to make sure that they support their agenda, whether it's gun control, abortion, or any one of a number of other issues.
Private organizations and companies petitioning their governments for tax breaks (AKA the government letting such businesses keep more of the money that THEY EARN) is very different from public unions working to obtain more public tax dollars (i.e. the money provided by the likes of these corporations) for ridiculous benefits that are often more generous than the benefits that the working class and middle class taxpayers enjoy while employed at non-government jobs.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:25 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
This is the type of Cadillac Health Plan that was targeted for taxation in Obamacare. The original start date has been pushed back at least twice. Which is exactly why people have no reason to fear the tax reductions passed by Mr Trump ever sun setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Oh really, you should because they look out for the middle class. The union my husband works for negotiated their employees healthcare benefits....$10 dollar co pay and $2 prescriptions. Who on their own can negotiate that

Old 03-04-2018, 12:30 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Oh really, you should because they look out for the middle class. The union my husband works for negotiated their employees healthcare benefits....$10 dollar co pay and $2 prescriptions. Who on their own can negotiate that
Even if you're correct and few to no individuals would be able to get such favorable terms on their own, I say so what? If the benefits to union membership are so great, then let unions actually sell their worth to members/potential members. What I and others submit is not OK is government forcing citizens to support public sector unions as a condition of employment.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:32 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Even if you're correct and few to no individuals would be able to get such favorable terms on their own, I say so what? If the benefits to union membership are so great, then let unions actually sell their worth to members/potential members. What I and others submit is not OK is government forcing citizens to support public sector unions as a condition of employment.

Amen.

RTW should be the law of the land, which allows people to choose whether they wish to join, or not join, any union available at their employer.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
To add to that, why should an employee be forced to pay a union when that person receives no actual benefit from it?

Old 03-04-2018, 09:58 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Government workers do not negotiate with other government workers, they negotiate with management which is non-union. Management represents the interest of the elected officials in the state/county/municipality who were chosen by taxpayers.
Do you really not understand that non-union government managers are STILL government workers?

Government managers get paid MORE when the people they are managing get paid more; the very basis of compensation in government management is the size of the budget (with labor costs being a huge portion) they are managing.

Also, it is more than obvious that elected officials cater to the "Special Interests"--like Government Worker Unions--that give them large sums of money to "fund their campaigns" (and make them rich in the process). Clearly, elected politicians could care less about adding to the already-obscene tax burden of the American worker.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:36 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,568 times
Quote:
The problem is, those unions are allowed to donate to and campaign for those very same elected officials. It's an incestious situation where the elected officials buy the support of the unions with taxpayer dollars. And not just those of the current taxpayers-they make agreements to unions that obligate generations of taxpayers to provide pathetically generous benefits that no private sector employee in a comparable job sees. This situation is bankrupting many cities and entire states, with promises that taxpayers can not pay.

IF public sector unions are allowed to exist, at the very least the obvious conflict of interest of donations, support and endorsement of elected officials HAS to end. Someone has to represent the taxpayers.
And, as a "fair share" fee paying employee, I asked management one time, where am I at the table? (blank stare) Because I'm not. Management can't recognize me, and the union refuses to. I'm not at the table.

The only thing I am is (hopefully) a number that reflects the number of those who don't agree with union's (forced) membership. I hoped someone cared about that - but I don't think they did.

One time I helped a (UC) union try to decertify. I stuffed 100 envelopes and paid for the (then) $33 in postage stamps. It's easier to get into a union than to get out. The road should be paved the same both ways, but it's not!! It's much easier to unionize than to decertify (by legal design).

And I watched the UAW unionize postgraduate research employees at UC. LOL!! I spelled it out every chance I got - United Auto Workers (really!?!) LOL It's just nuts!!

GO Janus!! GO Janus!!

Old 03-04-2018, 10:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Private organizations and companies petitioning their governments for tax breaks (AKA the government letting such businesses keep more of the money that THEY EARN) is very different from public unions working to obtain more public tax dollars (i.e. the money provided by the likes of these corporations) for ridiculous benefits that are often more generous than the benefits that the working class and middle class taxpayers enjoy while employed at non-government jobs.
That makes no sense, corporations and other interests hiring lobbyists and donating money to politicians aren't doing anything different than what you are trying to accuse unions of, it's just that in the private sector it's on a much grander scale than unions. If benefits in the private sector are too low, then I guess those employees just need to email the CEO, considering that some folks here think unions are obsolete or unnecessary that must be how it works, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies