Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 04:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Trump announces the United States is going to relaunch it's steel & aluminum production, and you think China & Russia are celebrating?
Relaunch its steel and aluminum production? It already has an industry that is producing. We up here know about it because we import 2 Billion dollars worth of steel more from you than you do from us. Of course China and Russia are celebrating. Any instability that trade wars create that occur between the U.S and its traditional allies is always an occasion for them to celebrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh I dunno maybe it's not Russian trolling but the fact that they will be impacted by the tariff too, dontcha think? They are the fifth largest exporter of steel to the US and the second largest exporter of aluminum https://www.voanews.com/a/top-us-imp...m/4277212.html
Small price to pay for NATO countries to be embattled over a bitter trade war.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-04-2018 at 04:50 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 04:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Relaunch its steel and aluminum production? It already has an industry that is producing. We up here know about it because we import 2 Billion dollars worth of steel more from you than you do from us. Of course China and Russia are celebrating. Any instability that trade wars create that occur between the U.S and its traditional allies is always an occasion for them to celebrate.
You don't really expect these lemmings to understand that do you?

Old 03-04-2018, 04:54 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You don't really expect these lemmings to understand that do you?
Well... just like any good Jehovah's Witness Bru, I try

One thing I do know, it is tough to pay more for everything when you are used to paying less. So I suppose paying more will be the message that has the most impact.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:46 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
BruSan and Fusion: This is an interesting update to the Canadian situation:

Canada Can't Be Excluded From Steel, Aluminum Tariffs: Peter Navarro

The Canadian auto sector may be O.K.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:21 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I am curious about your claim that EU has high tariffs on U.S. goods and that it is unfair, the implication being that the U.S. had low tariffs on EU goods. When I did a Google search, all I could find is this:

United States - Trade - European Commission

So, do you have a link to back up your claim of unfairly high tariffs by the EU on U.S. goods?
I think the trade barriers are more indirect, such as very slow inspection of goods for import at very rural locations.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I am curious about your claim that EU has high tariffs on U.S. goods and that it is unfair, the implication being that the U.S. had low tariffs on EU goods. When I did a Google search, all I could find is this:

United States - Trade - European Commission

So, do you have a link to back up your claim of unfairly high tariffs by the EU on U.S. goods?
The EU has more barriers and generally higher tariffs and taxes on US imports than the US places on EU imports. The US also has a $90B trade deficit with the EU.
https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files...2017%20NTE.pdf

Quote:
The EU’s average applied MFN tariff rate is 4.8 percent. The average agricultural tariff rate is 10.9 percent, and the average non-agricultural rate is 3.9 percent. All of the EU’s tariffs are bound at the WTO.

Although the EU’s tariffs are generally low for non-agricultural goods, there are also some high tariffs that affect U.S. exports, such as rates up to 26 percent for fish and seafood, 14 percent for audio-visual equipment, 10 percent for passenger vehicles, 22 percent for trucks, 6.5 percent for fertilizers and plastics, 10 percent for processed wood products, and 14 percent for bicycles.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:32 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
You guys do realize that the uni-body steel portion of a car can be rolled over by hand once all the mechanical components are removed? I'd estimate if half of a 3000# car is made of steel, we'll see a $300 per car price increase due to the steel.
Cost the makers millions? Collectively? Sure, but $300 a car to level the playing field isn't going to stall out sales or break the bank on a $25-$30K car sale.

Mtl1 is correct, most countries already have higher Tariff's on our items than we do theirs. With the exceptions of the in place anti-dumping tariff's, our rate is generally 1.9-2.9%. How they can justify themselves with "trade war" talk when we have such a trade deficit and unequal tariffs is beyond me.
It's the equivalent of my friends ******* neighbor at his apartment who opens his car door into his car every day, and he just asked him to stop.....

Old 03-05-2018, 10:23 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
You guys do realize that the uni-body steel portion of a car can be rolled over by hand once all the mechanical components are removed? I'd estimate if half of a 3000# car is made of steel, we'll see a $300 per car price increase due to the steel.
Cost the makers millions? Collectively? Sure, but $300 a car to level the playing field isn't going to stall out sales or break the bank on a $25-$30K car sale.

Mtl1 is correct, most countries already have higher Tariff's on our items than we do theirs. With the exceptions of the in place anti-dumping tariff's, our rate is generally 1.9-2.9%. How they can justify themselves with "trade war" talk when we have such a trade deficit and unequal tariffs is beyond me.
It's the equivalent of my friends ******* neighbor at his apartment who opens his car door into his car every day, and he just asked him to stop.....
What you aren't mentioning is that there are 17.5 million vehicles manufactured every year in the US, multiply that by $300 and you end up with an increased cost annual cost to manufacturers of $5,250,000,000. If a vehicle manufacturer is thinking of building or expanding a plant in the US, that just might be enough for them to make a decision to build cars in Mexico instead.

Countries impacted have already stated that they will impose tariffs on goods that we export simply to punish us for this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/u...T.nav=top-news

And dumping US debt is a distinct possibility

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1GE2ZS

This fiasco is just another example of Trump doubling down on stupid

Old 03-05-2018, 11:24 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Trump is merely continuing Obama's policies:

• Aggressively Pursuing – and Winning – Cases at the World Trade Organization: Today, the United States Trade Representative (USTR) is launching a new trade enforcement action against China at the World Trade Organization (WTO) targeting China’s unfair subsidies for its aluminum industry. This is the 25th WTO challenge of this Administration and the 16th against China alone. The United States has brought more WTO challenges over the last eight years than any other country. And we’ve won every single one of these challenges that has been decided.
  • Levying Anti-Dumping and Countervailing Duty Penalties on Foreign Industries and Trading Partners at the Highest Rate in 14 Years, Particularly Important to the Steel Industry: The Department of Commerce, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) are enforcing 370 trade remedy orders that address dumped goods or unfairly subsidized imports and level the playing field for American workers and businesses.
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...de-enforcement

New York: Producers in China and six other countries sold cold-rolled steel at unfairly low prices in the US market and will be taxed as much as 266% on the price, the Commerce Department said in a preliminary decision on Tuesday.

US imposes duty on imports of steel from India, China and others - Livemint
Thanks for pointing out that Obama did in fact take aggressive measures to protect US industry. A lot of people don’t know that, especially Trump and his true believers. But again, I fail to see why we should now be proposing to punish our allies more than we punish China.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Funny when he says Europe is sending in cars like water. He doesn't seem to understand that Americans want those cars, and deliberately pay more for them than for American cars.
So, maybe Trump and US car makers should instead ask themselves why so many Americans are buying European and Asian cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies