Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

No. The biggest difference between the US and other industrialized countries is the accessibility of guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
America wasn't diverse at all for all practical purposes even when I was a youth and I'm not all that old.
Where did you live?

I think it depends greatly on region. But by any measure, America has been diverse for 150 years or more. Ships full of immigrants were drafted into the Civil War right at the docks!

The history of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast - which is really a LOT of what "was" America (most active of the original colonies, etc. is all about immigrants and therefore diversity. I was raised in Philly and we had a regular rainbow of 2nd generation immigrants from everywhere in the world in addition to the black folks who mostly moved up for jobs and so they weren't "under the gun" as they were in the South.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
If the whole world was very violent back then, then how can you say that some groups are inherently (genetically disposed) to be violent and others are not. If what you say is true then Western Europeans would have always been peaceful in a societal sense even back in the Middle Ages. Instead all white Western European cities like London back in the old times had a crime rate like the South Side of Chicago.

You are demonstrating a clear anti-European bias and there's no shortage of sources of that.

Pointing out the truth about Western Europe's historic crime problems doesn't make me Anti-European. When you point out crimes stats in black neighborhoods does that make you a racist?

https://www.vrc.crim.cam.ac.uk/vrcre...n-violence.pdf

My link was to show you that Ancient Egyptians are not genetically related to modern Europeans. Which is what you were trying to say.
I linked you to what I think is very credible research of medieval Europe, and the violence rate was fairly low relative to many places in the world even today. How do we know just about every place else wasn't relatively way more violent than Europe during the same era?

You claimed that Europe was some barbaric culture apparently prior to the enlightenment (which actually began in the 1300s) but that's just not true. Europe faced various challenges, with the Roman empire collapsing, with invasions and being divided tribes, but was making agricultural advances and was producing material goods for themselves throughout the medieval era. The ancient cultures in the "middle east" Roman, Greek, Minoan and even Egyptian are not as genetically and culturally distinct and separate from Europe as you may think or as those areas are today due to later admixture from southern populations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology

Medieval history: Why are the Middle Ages often characterized as dark or less civilized?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:40 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,799 times
"The homicide rate has been estimated to be over 30 per 100,000 people in 1700, dropping to under 20 by 1800, and to under 10 by 1900."

For 1900 onward the rate never revisited historical rates.

2016 murder rate - 5.3
Official 2017 data hasn't been released.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...sa-since-1990/
Attached Thumbnails
Is Multiculturalism the reason why America has so much violence?-homicides-1900-20062.jpg  

Old 03-06-2018, 07:42 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
I linked you to what I think is very credible research of medieval Europe, and the violence rate was fairly low relative to many places in the world even today. How do we know just about every place else wasn't relatively way more violent than Europe during the same era?

You claimed that Europe was some barbaric culture apparently prior to the enlightenment (which actually began in the 1300s) but that's just not true. Europe faced various challenges, with the Roman empire collapsing, with invasions and being divided tribes, but was making agricultural advances and was producing material goods for themselves throughout the medieval era. The ancient cultures in the "middle east" Roman, Greek, Minoan and even Egyptian are not as genetically and culturally distinct and separate from Europe as you may think or as those areas are today due to later admixture from southern populations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology

Medieval history: Why are the Middle Ages often characterized as dark or less civilized?
You telling me you would live in a London that had a homicide rate between 36 and 52 murders per 100,000 and call it civilized? I have lived in a similar environment in Nigeria and know that isn’t a great experience when you try to go to the airport and on your way the police and cult leaders have a violent shootout in the middle of the street like what happened to my Dad just 2 years ago.

Also the white murder rate in America is between 2.4 and 2.7 any given year. This is the same as the most violent cities in Western Europe like Marseille or Glasgow. America as a whole is much more violent than their first world counterparts, only a few northern states are close to Western Europe and even then their still a bit higher.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:

You claimed that Europe was some barbaric culture apparently prior to the enlightenment (which actually began in the 1300s) but that's just not true. Europe faced various challenges, with the Roman empire collapsing, with invasions and being divided tribes, but was making agricultural advances and was producing material goods for themselves throughout the medieval era. The ancient cultures in the "middle east" Roman, Greek,
All those great advances and yet my Italian ancestors were beyond dirt poor in the 20th century. Truly amazing.

My friends in N. Ireland didn't have it much better.

Of course, most of my ancestors from Ukraine were murdered by the most civilized of Europeans - the Germans....in WWII.

All of these advances must have been nice for the upper class or those who lived in certain areas walled off from the masses (Swiss, etc.).

In any case, written history is very scarce for much of that period - so discussing it in context of this thread seems silly. One thing that seems fairly consistent about humans is their tendency to go to war against others (with some small exceptions). Even the "peaceful" ones have to arm up and fight because the invaders would otherwise steal all their stuff and enslave them.

Sometimes I think people are violent until they learn...often the hard way. Take the Germans for example - very peaceful today IMHO. The Vikings were fierce but the Danes of today are some of the nicest people in the world.

Maybe we just have to wait more decades until we learn (the gun thing, etc. etc.)...often it is the economic realities of violence (war) that sink empires (Brits, French....and soon, the USA)...

Old 03-06-2018, 07:46 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We weren't that diverse when it was founded and there were far fewer people here also. The floodgates opened to millions of third worlders compliments of Ted Kennedy back in 1965. With the rise of our population since then these different cultures clashed and have contributed to the violence in our country. Not all of these cultures have been a blessing either.
The 1970-80 murder rate was comparable to the high murder rate from 1915 to approximately 1930. Then plummeted. Rose again in the 70's to plummet again to historically low levels in the 90's through the 2000's.

If third worlders are to blame, why did the rate not exceed previous predominately white population rates and why did it plummet again? They didn't all vanish in the 90's.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:51 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Not to mention the rate today is almost as low as the rate in the 50s and 60s.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:56 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
The 1970-80 murder rate was comparable to the high murder rate from 1915 to approximately 1930. Then plummeted. Rose again in the 70's to plummet again to historically low levels in the 90's through the 2000's.

If third worlders are to blame, why did the rate not exceed previous predominately white population rates and why did it plummet again? They didn't all vanish in the 90's.
I wasn't implying that third worlders are committing violence more than whites or blacks just that with all the different cultures and in such large numbers that there is culture clash in our country.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Not to mention the rate today is almost as low as the rate in the 50s and 60s.
Imagine the real rate if we considered WWII and Korea! I think that had something to do with it being low in the 50's - Americans were very tired of all the killing.

But it does give one some pause to understand that it is almost at historic lows for the modern times here in the US - and especially in the Northeast, etc....

This despite all the right wing rhetoric about the moooossssleeemms and the bllllaaaccckksss and all the other groups killing all of us!

Another Big Lie, I guess. Keeps the population scared and they will be good puppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies