Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 06:43 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,960 times

Advertisements

Some of the Founding Fathers thought so. But they are not Gods, just men. They can be wrong. In any case, they wouldn't know about the examples below.

The greatest examples that I can think of people defending and even regaining their rights against oppressive regimes are the Civil Rights movement in the American South and the overthrow of Communist regimes in Eastern Europe. (I'm not a historian. There probably are others I don't know of.)

Neither of these involved arms. Guns were prohibited in Eastern Europe. If Southern American blacks were allowed guns, they didn't use them. The Civil Rights movement was non-violent and succeeded against a well-armed opposition. The opposition, admittedly, was not a particularly murderous one by historical standards.

But in Eastern Europe, the opposition thought nothing of murder and had committed much murder previously. Yet, unarmed people overthrew them regardless.

This thread is not at the heart of the gun control debate, just an attempt to illuminate one argument in it.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:50 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
Yes. Guns are to protect us from a tyrannical government . So important that the founding fathers put it in the 2nd spot . My wife is Lithuanian . I was at the KGB prison in Vilnius last year . You don’t want to see what the communist government did to the people there(political opponents) . I’m sure it would have been different if the entire population was armed . Also, people that did have guns were called partisans and had to hide . If they were caught , they usually faved uncertain torture and death .

Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Tyranny comes when my liberty is taken.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Yes. If we lose, or modify our 2A rights we have continue our steady decline to tyranny. It may take decades, but it will happen. It is already happening, and we are armed!

Old 03-08-2018, 07:43 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Some of the Founding Fathers thought so. But they are not Gods, just men. They can be wrong. In any case, they wouldn't know about the examples below.

The greatest examples that I can think of people defending and even regaining their rights against oppressive regimes are the Civil Rights movement in the American South and the overthrow of Communist regimes in Eastern Europe. (I'm not a historian. There probably are others I don't know of.)

Neither of these involved arms. Guns were prohibited in Eastern Europe. If Southern American blacks were allowed guns, they didn't use them. The Civil Rights movement was non-violent and succeeded against a well-armed opposition. The opposition, admittedly, was not a particularly murderous one by historical standards.

But in Eastern Europe, the opposition thought nothing of murder and had committed much murder previously. Yet, unarmed people overthrew them regardless.

This thread is not at the heart of the gun control debate, just an attempt to illuminate one argument in it.
The founders were not God, they were guided by God.

Liberals think they are God.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:03 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Considering the OP's question I can't help but think about the protests we saw at universities last year where a violent student body shut down the rights of a conservative speaker to talk and they shut down the right of other students to listen. Their protest was anything but peaceful and it took armed Police to contain them.

I look to those and other supposedly peaceful protest that turned into violent mobs that trashed, looted and burned their way down the street. What if that type of nonsense was going on in the street outside your home or business and you had a gun? Would you have it at the ready just in case they mob came to your door?

Another thought is from the LA riots when shop owners protected their livelihoods from looting using armed guards.

These are examples when society has broken down, the populace has turned violent and the Police either stand down or they are too busy elsewhere to help.

A gun is still the great equalizer that makes people think twice before committing a crime against another person.

We will never know how many women have stopped a stranger or even their ex from doing them harm because they had a gun to stop the attack in its tracks by just pulling the gun out. How many elderly people have done the same and saved themselves from getting rolled over by some punk?

As long as there are bad people that attempt to prevent people from enjoying their rights or to outright take their rights from them we will need good people with guns to stop them.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:22 AM

1,874 posts, read 819,156 times
Look no further than South Africa right now. The whites should be rising up and killing that government but they can't because they have no weapons.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,446 times
OP...sure.

Without guns all is lost. You are at the mercy of the gov.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:59 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,787,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP...sure.

Without guns all is lost. You are at the mercy of the gov.
Guns can't do anything in the year 2018 - what happened to common sense here. Someone like Edward Snowden is much more impactful than some conservative in Texas who thinks he can take down a drone with a shotgun.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Well, look around, our govt has been overstepping its bounds for years, despite who is in office, they have even come between a doctor and their patients now, and we are told its to protect our health and safety...Yeah right!

Do you think they would be creating laws and regulations like this if they knew the general public was on equal ground (firepower wise) with the military? I dont think so.

Govt NEEDS to fear the people to some extent to prevent tyranny from taking hold, that should be very clear in the world today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies