Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 04:01 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You're not a pastor and don't get to decide what the text means and what every Christian should do or not do. You are misconstruing the whole era and also very few Christian interpret the texts the way you are trying to do.
Would you mind terribly interpreting the verse for us and telling us how it should apply to our lives? I'd love to know what it means to you. Obviously you have rare insight.

Here it is again:

Luke 6:27-31
“But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 04:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Also i want my own face on a courthouse monument, because in my religion I am God. "In God We Trust" was an early American reference to me.

thanks in advance
True atheist think they are God and that's their problem.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:03 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Men hold all the REAL power, both inside and outside the US, as they always have and always will.
That's true, I am God, I keep forgetting I'm in control over everything. Nice bicycle by the way.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:03 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Except you aren't suppose to interpret as you want, its suppose to be the literal word of God. Sounds like you are choosing to ignore the portions you don't like.
That's a common trait of today's "Christians." They pick and choose the parts of the Bible that they like, and disregard the rest. Supposedly, Jesus brought forth a New Covenant with God, which is the New Testament of the Bible. But they discard Christ's directive to "love one another as I have loved you," and cite instead the abomination quote from the Old Testament in order to disparage gays. That allows them to hate gays freely and with God's blessing.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Athiests think there is no god.

I'm a Methiest, I think there is a God and He is Me

This forum is Hell, and I'm trying to save you all.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:04 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Then you don't even know what an atheist is with that statement. Jeez.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:05 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Would you mind terribly interpreting the verse for us and telling us how it should apply to our lives? I'd love to know what it means to you. Obviously you have rare insight.

Here it is again:

Luke 6:27-31
“But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.”
It means don't be vengeful and retaliatory and to help those who are poor and in need. But doesn't mean you allow yourself to be robbed blind or can't defend yourself, or that you should support bums who are able to work.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:06 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
But doesn't mean you allow yourself to be robbed blind or can't defend yourself
Actually, it does mean that - one of the things i find wrong with the philosophy.

It is very specific.

Right here:

"If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back."

Old 03-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Blame is the opposite of taking responsibility for oneself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is Jordan Peterson's main message.
Very simplistic. That same line could be used for any time period to justify the cultural status quo. Yet history shows that sometimes you can fairly blame others for your shortcomings. Nobody is perfect, and it's true for victim-blamers or victims in different contexts. (f.ex: workers complaining about low pay and hazardous work conditions is often justified, a revolt in which the workers kill their former employers / overlords is not justified even if the overlords were a**holes to them). If it's true in this case, then why not in less drastic cases (i.e. the current sex and/or gender debate)?

It's easy to say to give equal time to men and women playing the "goofball" and/or "clueless" role, but I fear "selective perception" will enter the picture on a large scale.

Do women need time off from work to help raise kids? Yes indeed. Likewise men should have the same rights to care for kids as women - especially with the breakdown of traditional gender roles. Sweden seems to recognize this and offers equal amounts of both maternity and paternity leave.

The term "gender roles" itself inherently insults individuality. If a person can do a job, they can do a job; whether its a guy running a floral shop or a woman on a construction site (or even front-line armed combat). Let's just drop the stigma of (sex and/or gender) doing a (opposite sex and/or gender). It's kneejerk shallow thinking, pointless, and as said insulting to the individual.

ADDED: OK, back on topic. Responsibility. Isn't the disadvantaged or otherwise "out" crowd taking responsibility for their fate by opposing dominant-group practices and assumptions? It sounds like it to me. If anything, more often than not, it's the in-group/powerful's responsibility to take responsibility for thinking about whether the gains and/or conveniences they enjoy really are worth demeaning other people over. Thus, I consider in-group calls for "personal responsibility" to be a mere verbal weapon designed to stigmatize the challengers and little more - as if the "in crowd", traditionalist, powerful, however, are so correct about everything that the situation speaks for itself.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:08 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Clearly then, liability is a concept invented by women to oppress men and prevent us from reaching our full potential.
LOL I finally got your shtick and I'm fully enjoying it. :clapping: Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies